We were spoiled

mikes99ss

As I sit here in the southern UP and ponder the late start to our season and wonder when things are going to get going. This is the time when I would be looking at John's forecasts every day, he's the only one that was giving us a snow report way in advance. And now that we're in the midst of one of those years, I can't help but think how incredibly spoiled we were to have John in our back corner. The forecasts were just one small piece of what he contributed to our sport We were undoubtedly spoiled.

bbcnova1496

Hello everyone, even though I never met john in person I feel like I have. I remember when Gracie came in the picture and all the happiness that was shared between Nora and John, the homes that they built together and now finally back to Nora's family stomping grounds. I lived precariously through john because i too have always wanted to live in the UP for I don't know how long. I looked forward to his journal entries to just see what was going on with the Dee Family! By the way he wrote his journals you would never know he was sick because he was so positive. I to lost my father in Rochester MN with heart transplant at mayo so I have walked in their shoes and it really hits home, but know that they are the lucky ones to be at peace now and not have to worry and longer, or be in pain, no words can take away the pain, or the urges to want to talk or call them up but time is your best medicine and take it one day at a time and I am truly sorry for your loss Nora and Grace, just know that John is still with you in your hearts.

harvest1121

Maybe John did not predict the weather he instructed old man winter to snow. I was like a little kid on Christmas looking for his snow forecast. We sure are a different breed of people that snowmobile and love snow.

I was thinking this same thing with us
getting into the season. I’d look forward to his forecast and him giving us hope with the 5 and 10 day forecasts. It was nice to have a weather man who was on our side.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am following a couple different weather people now, trying to get a hint if a change is coming, and here is the problem, the majority of people making comments, are PRO warm weather and no snow! What in the actual F_CK is wrong with those people? If you like a warm brown winter, move to where it never snows! 🤬🤬🤬 OK, rant over! 🙂

whitedust

I am following a couple different weather people now, trying to get a hint if a change is coming, and here is the problem, the majority of people making comments, are PRO warm weather and no snow! What in the actual F_CK is wrong with those people? If you like a warm brown winter, move to where it never snows! 🤬🤬🤬 OK, rant over! 🙂
I know what sources to use for local weather but no idea for UP and northern WI. What links are you using?

cobalt_502

There is a kid on Facebook, probably 16 years old, that John would have absolutely adored! This kid has a following that is truly amazing, somehow I hope their paths crossed at some point. I won't mention names as that is not important right now, I just know John would have loved this kid, his dedication and knowledge of weather is mind blowing, especially at such a young age! I plan to message the kid and ask if he ever was lucky enough to have followed or talked with John.

Hoosier

We definitely were spoiled. I suppose it doesn't matter so much yet this year with the stupid super el nino but I'm still checking.

You summed it up for me. That’s why I don’t watch the local weather report and hear about how great the warmth and lack of snow is.

indy_500

There is a kid on Facebook, probably 16 years old, that John would have absolutely adored! This kid has a following that is truly amazing, somehow I hope their paths crossed at some point. I won't mention names as that is not important right now, I just know John would have loved this kid, his dedication and knowledge of weather is mind blowing, especially at such a young age! I plan to message the kid and ask if he ever was lucky enough to have followed or talked with John.
I follow him as well, and he is a snow lover. Love his enthusiasm, and love to see someone at a young age working hard at something they love!

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I follow him. Great enthusiasm, and seems to do a good job.

mezz

I have relied on Johns forecasts heavily for years as he truely had a passion for the U.P. winter weather and was reasonably accurate. There is only one other that I personally could put into that reliability catagory & that is a meteorologist by the name of Karl Bohnak. Karl has been enamored with the Upper Peninsula weather for years & like John, this is what brought him here.

Karl was the senior meteorologist for WLUC TV in Marquette for 33 years & was fired in Sept 2021 for refusing to get vaccinated for Covid. He now works for WZMQ TV also in Marquette. I found some information that I want to share with everyone which I think holds some validty to our current weather concerns & perhaps may have a glimmer of hope in it.

Karls observence of El Nino effects classes the current one as a Super El Nino which closely resembles the Super El Ninos of 1997-98 & 2015-16.
This year, there has only been 10.3" of snow so far at the NWS office in Negaunee Twp. This is nearly 3 feet below average tied with 1998 & just behind 2015 with 10.1" for the least snowy winter on record to this point. He however goes on to point out that in the present El Ninio, the warm pool is not as warm, and the warm water is spread out.

This expansion of warmth may have an impact on our weather later this season. The other El Nino winters of 2002-03 and 2018-19 turned quite cold as the seasons progressed. This was probably because these winters were what is known as "Modoki" El Ninos, this is when the warmest water shifts toward the central Pacific. That changes the flow pattern & can mean arctic cold blasts for Upper Michigan.

So folks, despite not seeing anything meaningful by way of snow through the Christmas holiday thus far, things could change & hopefully they will. We certainly need the snow not only for the winter recreation & tourism aspect but, ground cover to protect our water pipes as well as needed precip for the coming spring. Fingers are crossed that things will eventually pan out.

Last edited:

lofsfire

I have relied on Johns forecasts heavily for years as he truely had a passion for the U.P. winter weather and was reasonably accurate. There is only one other that I personally could put into that reliability catagory & that is a meteorologist by the name of Karl Bohnak. Karl has been enamored with the Upper Peninsula weather for years & like John, this is what brought him here.

Karl was the senior meteorologist for WLUC TV in Marquette for 33 years & was fired in Sept 2021 for refusing to get vaccinated for Covid. He now works for WZMQ TV also in Marquette. I found some information that I want to share with everyone which I think holds some validty to our current weather concerns & perhaps may have a glimmer of hope in it.

Karls observence of El Nino effects classes the current one as a Super El Nino which closely resembles the Super El Ninos of 1997-98 & 2015-16.
This year, there has only been 10.3" of snow so far at the NWS office in Negaunee Twp. This is nearly 3 feet below average tied with 1998 & just behind 2015 with 10.1" for the least snowy winter on record to this point. He however goes on to point out that in the present El Ninio, the warm pool is not as warm, and the warm water is spread out.

This expansion of warmth may have an impact on our weather later this season. The other El Nino winters of 2002-03 and 2018-19 turned quite cold as the seasons progressed. This was probably because these winters were what is known as "Modoki" El Ninos, this is when the warmest water shifts toward the central Pacific. That changes the flow pattern & can mean arctic cold blasts for Upper Michigan.

So folks, despite not seeing anything meaningful by way of snow through the Christmas holiday thus far, things could change & hopefully they will. We certainly need the snow not only for the winter recreation & tourism aspect but, ground cover to protect our water pipes as well as needed precip for the coming spring. Fingers are crossed that things will eventually pan out.

First yes, the snow specific forecast are going to be a huge loss for all of us...

Mezz - I did not start riding till 2000 but the 97-98 year was a huge storm in Chicago at the beginning of March. It shutdown the Northwest Indiana area and parts of Chicago area down for almost a week. Started out as rain, then freezing rain, then a good 12+ inches of snow then highwinds and snow. The week before the storm I bought a car (first one with my own money) and drove it home with the sunroof open... '94 Thunderbird V8

2015-2016 I stayed up at the Running Bear over New Years. I remember we rode to Baraga, trails were great. Trail 3 up to Rockland was great except for 3 or 4 mud holes that had not froze. Rockland to Bergland was great too. The grade between Bergland and Bruce Crossing was thin. We rode 440 miles that trip in 3 days. Looking back on my trip logs This was my best trip of the season. I had just over a 1,000 miles that season.

Guess my point is there hope, if they are relating this year to those two years...

ABLVV84aqigFr6C3nU9w8j19N_n_qaagcfa3XuyoZsWHfKtkWNs8HD0EItMpvYeKcUG1IfYNqnH--MZyM9TKQ25DrDF3qhbd_tRnsohLMZjKT2GqRlrSQ8xuPa8xcgeMVu7tbu9bX-TfoOA95_y3KjqYGlrRuw=w541-h961-s-no-gm

Hoosier

First yes, the snow specific forecast are going to be a huge loss for all of us...

Mezz - I did not start riding till 2000 but the 97-98 year was a huge storm in Chicago at the beginning of March. It shutdown the Northwest Indiana area and parts of Chicago area down for almost a week. Started out as rain, then freezing rain, then a good 12+ inches of snow then highwinds and snow. The week before the storm I bought a car (first one with my own money) and drove it home with the sunroof open... '94 Thunderbird V8

2015-2016 I stayed up at the Running Bear over New Years. I remember we rode to Baraga, trails were great. Trail 3 up to Rockland was great except for 3 or 4 mud holes that had not froze. Rockland to Bergland was great too. The grade between Bergland and Bruce Crossing was thin. We rode 440 miles that trip in 3 days. Looking back on my trip logs This was my best trip of the season. I had just over a 1,000 miles that season.

Guess my point is there hope, if they are relating this year to those two years...

ABLVV84aqigFr6C3nU9w8j19N_n_qaagcfa3XuyoZsWHfKtkWNs8HD0EItMpvYeKcUG1IfYNqnH--MZyM9TKQ25DrDF3qhbd_tRnsohLMZjKT2GqRlrSQ8xuPa8xcgeMVu7tbu9bX-TfoOA95_y3KjqYGlrRuw=w541-h961-s-no-gm

I remember that NW Indiana storm in 97-98 (may have been 98-99 but that doesn't matter). I lived in that area and was home from college as I had surgery and was home recovering. A couple of my buds drove their sleds over from several towns over (mostly just riding down the streets), partly to check in on me, and partly to rub it in that I couldn't get on a sled right then. My Dad was home and even he jumped on one of theirs for a bit.