We will set a record for latest opening date if we do not open by the 25th

attakman

Looking back at records...we opened Oneida County trails January 25th 2021....that was our latest opening date (that I could find) in the last 30 years.
We are going to blow by that date and set a new record this year. There is literally nothing in the forecast for the next 10 days...and in fact we might see rain.

I have never seen anything like this. We usually do a group ride the first weekend of February...this year we are not (due to other plans, not because of the weather).
We have had many years where trails were thin, or we received snow right before the ride (a couple days or so), but we've never had to cancel...we've always been able to ride from Nokomis to our destination....this year, at this point I don't even think thats possible....Looking at long range forecasts...it's pretty grim....We really need 5 to 6 inches to be able to open the trails here....and while the cold weather last week helped...we still have some bad swamps, and water holes. We also found several lakes with less than 3 inches of ice in spots, which surprised us....we were un able to mark lakes because of un safe ice.

I have never seen this before. It does not look good at this point

mike1970

Agreed. Crazy in Spooner too. Almost no snow. Maybe 2 inches out on the lake. 30's and 40's for the next 2 full weeks. I know I'm lazy because I won't trailer to ride. Too spoiled always being able to ride right from our cabin. Don't have to board dogs, pay for lodging, food, vehicle gas, etc. My worst year ever riding was 2021 when we put on 250 total miles. This year will be FAR less than that. Perhaps 0? Oh well, my sleds will be ready next year and have the same number of miles.

Looking back at records...we opened Oneida County trails January 25th 2021....that was our latest opening date (that I could find) in the last 30 years.
We are going to blow by that date and set a new record this year. There is literally nothing in the forecast for the next 10 days...and in fact we might see rain.

I have never seen anything like this. We usually do a group ride the first weekend of February...this year we are not (due to other plans, not because of the weather).
We have had many years where trails were thin, or we received snow right before the ride (a couple days or so), but we've never had to cancel...we've always been able to ride from Nokomis to our destination....this year, at this point I don't even think thats possible....Looking at long range forecasts...it's pretty grim....We really need 5 to 6 inches to be able to open the trails here....and while the cold weather last week helped...we still have some bad swamps, and water holes. We also found several lakes with less than 3 inches of ice in spots, which surprised us....we were un able to mark lakes because of un safe ice.

I have never seen this before. It does not look good at this point
Grim outlook indeed. I feel for you guys and all of the Northwoods business owners. We have an annual trip planned to Rhinelander (always go in Feb and usually Valentine's week.) This year is actually a week earlier and have already been mentally prepping to the reality we won't be riding. Unfortunately, the cabin is rented/reserved yearly and has a waiting list. If we cancel, we'll lose it for good. Might just have to look at any other local events being held and enjoy local establishments via truck vs sled this year. If you know of anything going on the 7th-11th, let me know. Keep praying for snow!

chunk06

Ironically, I do believe 2021 was when the southern WI counties had a period of decent snow and trails being open like now. looking at the forecast we will not be open as long as we were in 2021, still weird though. That was the first time in years I never took a trip north riding

wiscrev

Grim outlook indeed. I feel for you guys and all of the Northwoods business owners. We have an annual trip planned to Rhinelander (always go in Feb and usually Valentine's week.) This year is actually a week earlier and have already been mentally prepping to the reality we won't be riding. Unfortunately, the cabin is rented/reserved yearly and has a waiting list. If we cancel, we'll lose it for good. Might just have to look at any other local events being held and enjoy local establishments via truck vs sled this year. If you know of anything going on the 7th-11th, let me know. Keep praying for snow!
World Vintage races in Eagle River are 8-11th. Always a fun time and I think "Hot Seats" are still available. Last year we had 940 entrees.

World Vintage races in Eagle River are 8-11th. Always a fun time and I think "Hot Seats" are still available. Last year we had 940 entrees.
Thanks for mentioning. I didn't think about that because I know the other Championship was last weekend. Haven't been to the track in years, but maybe time to revisit. I'm pretty sure I would recognize some faces there.

wiscrev

Thanks for mentioning. I didn't think about that because I know the other Championship was last weekend. Haven't been to the track in years, but maybe time to revisit. I'm pretty sure I would recognize some faces there.
Ifit's been a long while, you might not recognize some things. The track has been completely re-designed with wider and flatter curve and the snowcross infield is no more. You can check out a bit of it at the WCDC Track Cam. With now owners, things in disarray are being improved and the whole experience has been good. We've had some very nice compliments on the improvements----some you can see and others, like track safety concerns, are a bit hidden. Hope to see you there, I'm the Track Chaplain so look me up when you come.

attakman

Guess I missed one....lol...either way...the record (wether we like it or not) will be broken this year

SledTL

NWS says 50s possible in northern MN and WI into early Feb. Probably easier to just come to terms that they aren't opening this year.

NWS says 50s possible in northern MN and WI into early Feb. Probably easier to just come to terms that they aren't opening this year.
I also saw that. Glad I got one weekend of riding in. Guess I got spoiled the last couple of years with lots of options for riding and not having to trailer to do so. Sooner or later was probably bound for a rotten sledding year. :cry:

chunk06

My wife wants to upgrade so I was looking at dealer inventory yesterday, dealers definitely have a good amount of stock. Not good for them.

xcr440

And all those Sconnie trails got widdled down last night, and will probably all be closed by the weekend. Glad I ran over to central/southern Sconnie and rode the last four days - may be all I do this year if something doesn’t change drastically. There’s still 6-8 possible weeks left, but they are passing us by pretty quickly this year.

indy_500

Well, northern half of iron county opens up Wednesday. I’m sure they want the businesses to make some money this weekend before they lose everything next week.