What 4 stroke sled should I buy?

big_bill

Need to get a newer sled, looking at used 4 strokes. Which one should I buy? and why? Leaning towards Yamaha's. Any input would be greatly appreciated. As my name says I'm BIG so take that into consideration too. Thanks for the help.

F

fusion

I would look for a used REV 4-TEK, if you can find one. Better chassis than Yam, hands down, lighter, and a breeze to change oil, compared to Yam's.
Only thing Yam's have is good motor, but that's where it ends.

whitedust

Need to get a newer sled, looking at used 4 strokes. Which one should I buy? and why? Leaning towards Yamaha's. Any input would be greatly appreciated. As my name says I'm BIG so take that into consideration too. Thanks for the help.

Ok you are big that is all we know. Lots of 4s in every type of sled class. What are you are you riding now? Likes & dislikes? What % of riding is trails, powder,FRs, lakes. Most big guys like big HP just because they are big need the Hp to move them around. How about you?

ezra

I dont know if BIG is suited for a rev chasi.
how new? what kind of money?
how fast do u want to go.
and all white dust asked

longtrack

The doo XR chassis with the 1200 is the way to go. I ride a Grand touring or a GSX SE depending on where and how I want to ride. Either one works fine. At 6' 3" and 330 that Motor just idles along. Yamaha's are built for smaller riders. My Sons Turbo Yami has plenty of power for anything but its not as comfortable as the XR is. My Son is going to selling his Yami and going to buy a Doo.

Buy a 2014 so you get the new suspension.

That comes from someone who has experience with both.

If you can find a used one you will end up paying more than you want to, they are holding their value more than other options.

tundra ron

I would get a used Apex 144 with power steering. The Ski Doos do not have the reputation of running 20000 miles like Yamaha does.

whitedust

7 foot, 275 lbs here. Ride Yamaha Apex GT and love it. So, if your big AND tall, you have my recommendation.

I have some experience with big & tall too riding bud was 6'5" not too heavy maybe 220 but his single most severe problem was getting his head behind a windshield.He did better with 2006 sit in Rage mono RA than Apex which no windshield could protect him. Big & Tall might do well with Apex 150 XLT or Attak then install new Venture 2up windshield no windshield better than that.

momoney2123

Have 2 people in our group that are 300+ pounds and both ride a skidoo GSX 1200 and love them. Sled is very smooth and easy to ride. This engine is bullet proof and has not been around as long as yama but have only heard from our dealer that the 1200 will run forever. We have 3 1200's total in group with zero issues, one with a turbo.

rodehard

I'm sure it is preference. I like the yamahas. I rode a RS Venture for 6 years. A very comfortable sled but hard to throw around because of the weight. I just picked up a vector and I am looking forward to a good ride. They are bulletproof.

big_bill

THANKS JOHNDEE and all this forum for the advice. I'm going with Yamaha. I found it on this site. Kip at Pats Motor Sports had it listed here. 2011 Rs Vector LTX with only 360 miles! Cant wait to ride it. Again, thank you all for responses. Will be posting my 2000 Polaris 600 Touring on here and craigs list. Parting it out.

D

Deleted member 10829

I think you will be happy with that choice and the dealer is a big part of the purchase experience and Kip and Pat's have a great reputation. Congrats and have fun!

kip

Thanks Bill!

You will be well taken care of and the Vector Reputation speaks for itself. Thanks to all for the great support! Kip

ragex2

Great choice, congrats! I have a 2010 just like it, and love it. You may find, as I did, you must finish what Yamaha started though. I changed the skis to pilot 6.9's and shaper bars, add Pioneer wheel lowering kit for slide wear,and Pioneer shock revalve and a heavier spring, probably a 7.0 since you are big. Great sled but these upgrades will be huge!!

vx700xtc

I would look for a used REV 4-TEK, if you can find one. Better chassis than Yam, hands down, lighter, and a breeze to change oil, compared to Yam's.
Only thing Yam's have is good motor, but that's where it ends.
I would add clutching to the motor, very few other brands easily get 5000+ miles on the factory belt with 150+ hp, just sayin:

harvest1121

I have have a 2009 Nytro put 3500 miles on it last year I know I had to change the belt 2 times. But Yamaha belts are $60 so not too bad.