What do you do if....

junior

Not sure what forum to put this in so here it is. But what does a person do if they are riding alone or with wife or whatever on a 2-up and it breaks down? I have always rode in a group and our rule was never ride alone. But I bought a 2-up last year and was thinking of taking the wife up to northern Wisc. Was wondering who do you call or what do people do ina situation like that? Especially out in the woods on a trail not near a town

I can't speak for Wis. trails but here in MI. we have GPS way points posted on the trail system, so if there ever was an emergency you could call 911 and give them your location.

indy_500

Did that with my dad on a sled with 100 miles, I was 10 and riding on the back and we thought we'd be fine, but sure enough she blew up. A kitty 800 trip towed us and we called my dad's brother who gave us a ride back to the truck n trailer.

junior

Hard to really say breaking down would be an emergency worth calling 911. But if you don't know anyone around there, then still not sure what to do if nothing is in walking distance. And even if it was, how do you get your sled?

bgruschy

common sense goes a long way, don't go alone in bad conditions or unpopulated areas, have a backup plan, let someone know where you are going etc. There are some guys in the UP that for a price will haul a person / dead sled back to a trailer, you often see their cards up at gas stations, we had to use one of these 2 different times, pretty good people, one guy actually bought the blown up sled on the spot from the owner and gave him a ride back to his truck, they were both happy.

michaeladams

just ride carfully.i ride alone all the time.i would not pass up someone on the side of the trail that needed help. i would at least give him a ride to the nearest gas station or watering hole.sledders are usually good people.

mjkaliszak

just ride carfully.i ride alone all the time.i would not pass up someone on the side of the trail that needed help. i would at least give him a ride to the nearest gas station or watering hole.sledders are usually good people.

I agree, stop a sledder and ask for help. I would help anyone out in a pinch. It would just become part of the plan for the day. Most of the time I'm just driving on circles anyways. ( LOL )

Hard to really say breaking down would be an emergency worth calling 911. But if you don't know anyone around there, then still not sure what to do if nothing is in walking distance. And even if it was, how do you get your sled?

If in the middle of BFE....911 is worth the call if no one is around. No doubt other sledders would deffinitely lend a hand. That is why MI. has GPS way points on their trail system.

dab102999

Leave the wife with the sled so no one steals anything and walk back to the hotel...

then in the morning decide how much you really want the sled....

lofsfire

Here are a few things to think about: (no order)

#1 Know Basic survival skills.
#2 Tell the place you are staying your route or at least estimated time back. (call and check in if you will be late)
#3 Know where you are at if you need to call for help! (Everyone should do this, this also ties in to what trailshredder said. By the big tree does not help!)
#4 Ask people on her if they are going to be in the area and meet someone new to ride with.
#5 Some of the websites like this have put together an emergency call list. (See SledMI put a copy in your pocket)

whitedust

Not sure where in northern Wisc you will be riding but I ride alone in Vilas County Wi & north to anywhere in UPMI for many years now. In Vilas all Trail intersections have a 3 digit rescue reference number to haul you out if are injured. You can try leaving a route with your back up person but I find once I hit the trail all my routes go out the window & never end up where I told my backup. lol But still better to tell someone of your planned route. I always stop for everyone that is broken down always wait for thumbs up before I proceed. As long as you stay on groomed trails in daylight hours you will be AOK no one is going to leave you & your wife stranded. Always take some snacks, drinking water & many layers of warm clothing. Only trouble I have had with breakdowns is someone getting cold to the point where we had to get the cold person to heat ASAP then worry about sled & other details later. Severe sub zero weather, darkness & off trail locations are my only concerns with an alone breakdown. Stay on trail in daylight & you will have a ball even if you do break down as all part of the adventure. :)

edmarino

I always stop when I see someone stopped on the trail even when it looks like they are taking a break and ask if every thing is OK. Found a women once sitting on the trail, lost and crying, her husband took off on her because she was not going fast enough for him. Like to know what happened later when he got back. I took her back to where they were staying.

whitedust

Same here pulled some guys wife of a tree as he was long gone & riding & she could not keep up. Pulled her out, dusted her off settled her down, got her going again never did see him.

ezra

I always stop when I see someone stopped on the trail even when it looks like they are taking a break and ask if every thing is OK. Found a women once sitting on the trail, lost and crying, her husband took off on her because she was not going fast enough for him. Like to know what happened later when he got back. I took her back to where they were staying.

sounds like a ez sell to come back to the above mentiond hotel

whitedust

Good since she went over the bars head first in deep snow sled hit tree she kept going just missed said tree. She was really shookup shaking all over so sat her on my sled pulled her sled out bent the ski back the best I could. I'm an old guy so no funny stuff going in in my head I was very happy she was not injured & bleeding or I would have had to deal with that too. When you are 1st on wreck site you have to help don't even think about it you just snap into action do as much as you can. Afterwards you feel drained done for the day as you know foot this way or that way & she could have been killed. Real downer for riding just messes with your head so better to hang it for the day at least that day is how I felt about it.

JimAndros

Well, in my opinion...

All the "books" say don't travel alone, bring a tow rope, shovel.....

That being said, I frequently travel alone. The one & only time I had to walk was last month when the back end fell thru the swamp & I was stuck.

You can always break down but preventative maintenance helps. You can't ride for 1000s of miles without needing some maintenance.

Check the clutches, especially the drive clutch weights, bushings & pins.
Check the idlers. Look for broken rubber or bad bearings.
Check for loose bolts, especially on the skid frame.
Check the track tension & alignment.
Check the wear bars.
Grease everything.
Check the belt. Carry a NEW spare. If you use the spare, replace it with NEW ASAP.
Listen for any changes in sounds.
Feel for any vibrations/changes from normal vibrations.
If the speedo quits working on a machine with a conventional shaft system, check for the LH drive axle bearing failure.