What do you think is the Best Helmet to buy for Snowmobiling?

j1cousin

I ride arctic cat, but I wear a ski-doo modular helmet. I hate having ski-doo labeled anywhere on my clothing because I bleed green, but I must say of all the helmets I have had in the past, ski-doo modular helmets are hands down the best of the best. The mouth piece that covers your mouth and sends your breath out the sides has made my snowmobiling experience 100 times better because very rarely does my lens fog up. But I have not tried all the helmets out there, is there any other helmets that perform as well if not better then the ski-doo modular helmets? Friends are always asking me what type of helmet to get and I always recommend this one, but has anyone had fog free experiences with any other types of helmets?

momoney2123

I ride arctic cat, but I wear a ski-doo modular helmet. I hate having ski-doo labeled anywhere on my clothing because I bleed green, but I must say of all the helmets I have had in the past, ski-doo modular helmets are hands down the best of the best. The mouth piece that covers your mouth and sends your breath out the sides has made my snowmobiling experience 100 times better because very rarely does my lens fog up. But I have not tried all the helmets out there, is there any other helmets that perform as well if not better then the ski-doo modular helmets? Friends are always asking me what type of helmet to get and I always recommend this one, but has anyone had fog free experiences with any other types of helmets?

I mean you can buy them in black and i think gray so they arent all yellow. Other companies make there versions of the modular's a swell, dont know if they perform as well as ski-doo's as i havent seen many with the fighter pilot style mouth pieces. That or you buy a heated shield which will keep pretty much any helmet fogless even in miserable conditions. Or just start bleeding yellow and like it.

j1cousin

I mean you can buy them in black and i think gray so they arent all yellow. Other companies make there versions of the modular's a swell, dont know if they perform as well as ski-doo's as i havent seen many with the fighter pilot style mouth pieces. That or you buy a heated shield which will keep pretty much any helmet fogless even in miserable conditions. Or just start bleeding yellow and like it.

The one I have is Black, so the ski-doo badging on it is not very noticeable, and not to knock ski-doo, I have always rode arctic cat, and choose to stay with them. But in general, I assume the ski-doo modulars are still the best to get, or heated lenses if you like cords knocking off your helmet everytime you hit a bump lol.

momoney2123

The one I have is Black, so the ski-doo badging on it is not very noticeable, and not to knock ski-doo, I have always rode arctic cat, and choose to stay with them. But in general, I assume the ski-doo modulars are still the best to get, or heated lenses if you like cords knocking off your helmet everytime you hit a bump lol.

Try a different brand maybe. My whole group uses mostly heated shields and all like them. I am kind of like you and have yet to convert. I just bought a brand new modular 2 as i dont want to deal with chords, mainly because i will prolly forget its plugged in. We havent had any issues with them coming unplugged. My buddy just bought a modular from a different brand I think it was called zona or somethin with a Z as the first letter of the brand name, it looks nice,comes in all different colors, but until we actually get to ride i cant comment on the quality.

My bro had the orginal modular thats all black that had no ski-doo decaling at all, maybe you can find one on ebay.

snobuilder

I went from the doo mod2 to a 509 helmet and goggle combo.
The mod 2 failed me a few times on extreme cold nights by freezing up and would not clear up. I think the one way air intakes were freezing shut....In warmer weather I also don't like all the sloppiness of the moisture that collects in the mouth piece....I could go through 10 water absorbers in a day but wring them out instead which is a PITA to me.
If you go with the combo invest in a VG balaclava. I have and arctiva which is good but will be wearing a Klim with the neoprene breath deflector this season which I have high hopes for....it is a thick material so I will still carry a thinner one for warmer days.
I have the polarized lense for daylight and also carry a second set of clear lense goggles for nightime....much more convenient than trying to swap out lenses in the cold.

whitedust

Hmmmm...Both my doo mods came stock black with zero graphics & stickers were in the box. What did you purchase?

durphee

I have the modular and have no complaints about it. I had the heated lens, but i scratched it up. I purchased a non heated visor and it works great. I was actually thinking of trying an open face this year just to see if I like it. Im not sure of which goggle to purchase yet, but I am leaning towards a nice polarized one, any suggestions? My modular is all black, no ski doo decal at all. One thing you do have to be a little careful is that the buttons can become loose and I dropped my breather box and lost it, the helmet then really sucks! But that's an easy replacement.

momoney2123

I went from the doo mod2 to a 509 helmet and goggle combo.
The mod 2 failed me a few times on extreme cold nights by freezing up and would not clear up. I think the one way air intakes were freezing shut....In warmer weather I also don't like all the sloppiness of the moisture that collects in the mouth piece....I could go through 10 water absorbers in a day but wring them out instead which is a PITA to me.
If you go with the combo invest in a VG balaclava. I have and arctiva which is good but will be wearing a Klim with the neoprene breath deflector this season which I have high hopes for....it is a thick material so I will still carry a thinner one for warmer days.
I have the polarized lense for daylight and also carry a second set of clear lense goggles for nightime....much more convenient than trying to swap out lenses in the cold.

I have also tried the snowcross helmet with goggles and that failed miserbly, snow, sleet and cold weather always fogged them up, this was about 5 years ago and i spent money on the best goggles and $200 and some dollar helmet. Maybe they have made improvements, but the shield style is so much more convenient. Not to mention getting frost bite a few times with goggles. I wouldnt reccomend goggles to my worse enemy. I expect my Mod 2 to prolly fog up in the extreme cold like minus 20 or more as thats when my orginal mod would have issues, but other than that i have heard awesome things about the mod 2's. I have also heard good things about the 509's but could never go back after that experience. But only one way to find out, let it snow

Last edited:

dgh5454

I have a black modular that had ski-doo or bombardier stickers that I just took off and it is completely black.

pez

When I got back into sledding, I bought an Arctic Cat full face helmet and spent lots of money on the no fog stuff everyone sells. I then went to a ski-doo open face, because they were the only ones making a mat black at the time. Wifey then bought me the Bv2s one year for Christmas. I wore it twice and both times fogged up real bad. I kept going back to the open face. Nothing is worse than driving with a frozen fogged up shield.
This year I bought the new 509 carbon fiber to match my 509 goggles.....I can't wait to try.
People who knock the open face helmets because they think they are cold are not matching their helmet and goggles up and go not have a decent backlava...my .02

indy_500

I have ridden in -20 deg weather along with riding in probably the biggest snowfall across da yoop last year without any problems. Only thing I recommend is don't get chrome finish lenses they scratch too easy. I got polarized for daytime and clear for night (seperste goggles no fumbling around with changing lenses)
I have also tried the snowcross helmet with goggles and that failed miserbly, snow, sleet and cold weather always fogged them up, this was about 5 years ago and i spent money on the best goggles and $200 and some dollar helmet. Maybe they have made improvements, but the shield style is so much more convenient. Not to mention getting frost bite a few times with goggles. I wouldnt reccomend goggles to my worse enemy. I expect my Mod 2 to prolly fog up in the extreme cold like minus 20 or more as thats when my orginal mod would have issues, but other than that i have heard awesome things about the mod 2's. I have also heard good things about the 509's but could never go back after that experience. But only one way to find out, let it snow

j1cousin

Hmmmm...Both my doo mods came stock black with zero graphics & stickers were in the box. What did you purchase?

I bought the modular 2 helmet..... Looks like an air pilots helmet with the big piece of plastic going over the top front half of the helmet. modular_2_electric_se_helmet_99.jpg

momoney2123

Good call, i bought the same helmet except mine had the ski-doo yellow and black graphics. What did you pay for it out of curiosity?

Bradzoo

I have the orginal ski doo modular to tell the truth I haven't worn it since I bought my Fly carbon fiber helmet and 509 goggle combo, it weights about a 1/4 of what the modular does. The only problem I ever had with the modular besides the weight was freezing rain, that was th only time it iced up

Brazoooo

dfattack

Like many here I have the Ski-doo Modular 2 in black. No stickers...just black. right now that is my favorite helmet overall. It's good in cold temps. When it's going to be below zero I use my Bv2s. The Bv2s fogged up on me one time over the years and I couldn't get it to stay clear and the weird thing is it wasn't that cold outside. I eventually realized how important it is to have your mouth/nose piece positioned just right when conditions are sensitive to fogging. I did buy the electric shield for the Bv2s and now use this helmet when it's extremely cold or when I ride with my son who likes the rear helmet light so he can see me. Other than that I continue to be satisfied with the Modular 2. I have had other modular helmets from Yamaha from the 2000-2004 time frame and the modular 2 is significantly better.

Never tried open face helmets. I don't do any off trail riding.

I'm waiting for a Modular 2 type helmet in carbon fiber...that will be my next helmet if a company ever makes that. Built in headphones would be the icing on the cake! The ultimate helmet in my opinion.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love my Fly F2, I use Pro-Vue goggles (Smith) with it. Great set up. I am thinking about picking up a AFX FX-17 (509) helmet, to use with my new 509 sinister goggles.