What is considered high mileage

twodogs

Ok, relatively speaking what is considered "high mileage" for todays sleds? I was considering a used sled vs new. More specifically, say an 06-07 F7.

When in doubt accelerate, it will either fix the problem or end the suspense!

favoritos

Wow.

You could be a little more specific. The F7 ended in 06 BTW. The 07 F8 is a completely different sled. The motors are pretty solid with either option. The laydown twins are holding up great and you should not see any work needed before the 5,000 mile mark. The rest of the factor is down to owner care.

hoffmansledder

I always say 5 yrs or 5000 miles which ever comes first it's time to trade. I know they will last much longer but I get impatient and want a new one.

indybru

Anything I own. 04 Ski Doo GSX 500ss 11,900 miles, 05 Ski Doo MXZ 500ss 8,800 miles.
Also have 98, 01 and 02 Polaris rarely used last 3 years have between 7,000 - 8500 miles. The highest milage sled I sold had close to 12,000 miles. 00XC500.

erkoehler

I usually trade every 3 years.

I hate breakdowns so it is easier to just trade up before having problems.

Usually equates to 4-5,000 miles.

whitedust

It all depends on how many miles you want to ride in a year. If you think a 2s engine is done at about 5000 miles & you ride 1000 miles a year you can get 5 years from a new sled. If you ride a 1000 miles year & a 4s engine is done at 20,000 miles then you can get 20 years out of a new sled. Heck I could not get 3500 miles out of 2s engine ever so now buy 4s. Tracks & wheels are like tires buy new when you wear them out. Shocks can be rebuilt but depends on how hard you ride ......again how many miles you riding before you rebuild? Steering bushings just wear over time & miles just like ball joints in a car. For me 5000 miles is about 2 years of riding so 2s just no good for me & I'm not replacing my sled every 2 years @ $12k a shot that is for sure.

Now that I can ride 3,000 miles / yr, I'll buy new and do prefer the 4-strokers. This way, I should be able to run a sled 5 + years and the engine should not be a problem. I never lost a 2-stroke engine either, one being nearly 11,000 miles. I do though believe that a sled should be rebuilt end to end at 10K to avoid break downs.

erkoehler

On top of that, think about the technology that can change in 5 years???

In 2003 Polaris was using the EDGE chassis, Arctic Cat had the original FireCat, Ski Doo had the FIRST REV, and Yamaha I **think** had the first 4-stroke.

Think now to 2008.....ALL those sleds had been drastically changed and none of them were the "top of the line" production sled any longer.

bobsledder

location location location

A sled with 5000 miles all in the lower snow belt would be a questionable purchase to me. We wind up doing alot of drift busting, field rideing, bare road rideing, and fence ramp crossing. A sled from good snow areas can have lots of miles on trail can be just broke in. Just like a car, stop and go VS highway miles.
My 2 cents
Bob

snowlover

A buddy of mine has a 2003 F7 with around 9000 miles on it and never touched the motor. This sled screams. He is on his third track and that is it. This sled is piped also. He takes this on every long ride and has NEVER has a break down.

I have a 2005 Ski Doo 500SS with 8000 miles and have had no motor issues. I have had to replace the track, a shock, a couple of belts and now the Y-pipe. I figured I will keep this sled and if she lets loose I will rebuild it and keep riding it, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new sled. And with me being unemployed/self employed buying a new sled at this time is not an option. I used to buy new and trade every 3 years or around 6000 miles but now have 2 sleds with 6000 plus miles and will keep riding them. If you maintain them they will last longer also.

bobsledder

I have a 2000 Polaris Classic 500 almost 8000 miles with nothing but normal maintenance needed. The primary clutch is worn otherwise it is solid I think. Over half the miles are UP miles and the rest are Western IL miles. I had a chance to update to a 03 Polaris Frontier 4 stroke with the FAST M10 suspension. I have had some back “issues” so I wanted the best ride I could afford. I love the 4 stroke and the M10 is wonderful I could still walk after a 300 mile day in the UP. I wouldn’t get caught up in how many miles on a modern sled but how the miles got there and how it was maintained.
Bob

whitedust

I don't know who is jumping up & down to purchase a 2s with 8,000+ miles? You know you are going to have engine issues & are riding a time bomb. Talking to dealers they won't take a trade on a 2s past 3,500 miles. They say public won't buy them at 5,000 miles even if they look cherry it comes back to being a high milage sled to the market. I tried to reason with several dealers all said the same thing. I even had paperwork for new doo 800 engine at 5,000 miles sled had 7,000 plus. 4s sleds are different if cared for 5000 miles is nothing. I read all the mags & only injected 2s that seems to be holding up is doo etek. Poo scrambling has way too many injected 2s engine issues .....just read JD. AC has a lot of catching up to do to meet next EPA bar some think they will go 4s with many more 4s engines than try to meet injected 2s EPA requirements. Game has changed for 2s except etek.

ezra

like said above I don't care if it is a 3/4ton 4 stroke or a poo cat doo it all depends on how it was used. sleds pounded in ditches bumpy corn fields swamps full of cat tails Ice chunks all at 60+ mph is shot at around 3000 mi. a sled ridden but a guy who only rides on days the groomer drives buy his house in heavy snow parts or the country and runs trails at 40 to 50 mph can run any sled to 15 to 20000 mi with out a prob

whitedust

a sled ridden but a guy who only rides on days the groomer drives buy his house in heavy snow parts or the country and runs trails at 40 to 50 mph can run any sled to 15 to 20000 mi with out a prob[/QUOTE]

Does anybody ride like that for 15 to 20000 mi ?? Sounds like torture to me.lol

ubee

most modded out,piped sleds only last a couple of hundred miles and resale is next to impossible for $ stuck in them ! most dealers wont touch with a ten foot pole and piston companies love them.Most of them sound louder and go slower! some pretty nice drag sleds out there that get a few thousand feet on them everyyear!

I think the main thing is just to keep up with maintenance on them. If you properly "summerize" it in the spring and properly tune it up in the fall and fix everything when it breaks instead of letting it go, I don't see why you couldn't get 10,000 miles on a 2-stroke. It costs money and time to do the above mentioned things, but worth it in the long run if you're not one to buy a new sled every other year or so. I would be a little apprehensive about buying a high-mileage from another guy because you just don't know how they treated it but if you buy it new or very low mileage and take care of it, you can put a lot of miles on it no problem.

whitedust

I did everything summer & winter that my 2s engines needed & still blew up. AC twin caught a pistion skirt 580 miles & el lock up end of that 1. Doo 2s 800 locked up crank at about 5000 miles ran real good right up to point of no return. Took apart & rings were flaking also. Doo 700triple ...spark ....no spark ...stator went at 1200 miles. Poo old 2s 488 & 340s were sweeeeeeeet 2s engines. Newer 2s injected engines are crap just ask people who bought them. Remap this ....remap that....try new double ring pistons.... new clutch springs & how about a new pipe maybe that will work. Then you exspect new 2s injected engines to last longer than 5000 miles when it does not run out of the box! Etek 2s is very well designed runs oil lines to crank so crank gets lubrication. The rest of the new injected 2s just will not hold to together you have to have lubrication & you have to run oil lines & those that don't or can't due to new EPA requirements will have to go 4s. Yamaha all 4s now & betting AC will be all 4s also twinspar taylor made for 4s. Poo will step up & use Liberty 4s drop Weber make some money on 4s too. Poo is throwing sooooooo much time money & effort at injected 2s but just can not get them to run out of the box more over last for high miles. I can''t see Poo continuing spending that much money with so little profit just no ROI for 2s future. Etek yes but the rest noway losing battle & bad injected engines.

Last edited:
G

G

The passage of time has also revealed some sleds to stay away from. Some were just bad to begin with. We all know some of them. On the flip side some were really good. If I could find an '03 or '04 F7 with 3000 miles in good shape for cheap I would be all over it. They are still getting $3500 plus on EBay for the things. You couldn't give me anything with an SDI 1000. Screamers but warranties long over and very expensive to fix. First year RX1s still going for $3000 plus. 6 and 7 XC's still good though getting old. Stay away from the 8's. Switchbacks for the most part golden. All the latest stuff from all mfgs has a lot of electronic stuff that will be a problem in time. Time - not so much miles - has a way of killing electronic stuff especially in the extreme environment sleds operate in.

xcsp

From what I have seen in used sleds, condition will tell a lot. If it looks beat, chances are it is. The numbers on the odometer are only a guideline, check the rest of the sled for wear.

Whitedust mentions "Etek 2s is very well designed runs oil lines to crank so crank gets lubrication."

Not sure of the other manufacturers, but Polaris has been doing this for quite some time. If I recall correctly, Doo has in the past used bearings that didn't get any lube from the injection oil, but were pre-packed with grease prior to assembly?

whitedust

From what I have seen in used sleds, condition will tell a lot. If it looks beat, chances are it is. The numbers on the odometer are only a guideline, check the rest of the sled for wear.

Whitedust mentions "Etek 2s is very well designed runs oil lines to crank so crank gets lubrication."

Not sure of the other manufacturers, but Polaris has been doing this for quite some time. If I recall correctly, Doo has in the past used bearings that didn't get any lube from the injection oil, but were pre-packed with grease prior to assembly?

Yep that is correct & why my doo 2003 800 crank froze no lube to sealed crank bearings. Etek runs oil line to crank which is much better way to do it. Not sure what Poo is doing with 4 injector CFIs lots of changes with 4 injector 600 & 800 CFI to try & get stumbles out & some decent gas milage. Not sure oil lines still there on new Poo CFIs due to EPA requirements.