What is considered high mileage

jlemieu1

On top of that, think about the technology that can change in 5 years???

In 2003 Polaris was using the EDGE chassis, Arctic Cat had the original FireCat, Ski Doo had the FIRST REV, and Yamaha I **think** had the first 4-stroke.

Think now to 2008.....ALL those sleds had been drastically changed and none of them were the "top of the line" production sled any longer.

small history note: cat had 4 stroke in 2002, yami had 4 strokes in 2003. I think???

deerhunter

2000 polaris xc 600 with 9300 miles on it. i just rebuilt the shocks and put new bushings in the front end and rebuilt the rear skid. still thew most dependable sled that ive owned. oh ya motor is untouched and has excellent compression.

indy_500

i got a 99 indy 500 with 7600? miles on it it's something like that and i've put a new voltage regulator in it, a new speedo key, a new headlight bulb, a new spark plug cap, it's on its 3rd set of slides, put some plastic ski's on it this year, 3 inch riser, low windshield, mirrors, handguards with custom extensions, painted the hood screens and the nosecone vent and the running board trim, and i put on a lot of stickers. Sooooooo.. anyways, I haven't had many "repairs" most of my stuff i just added and this sled has been super reliable and not only is it fast for a 500, it gets 14-16 mpg!

whitedust

i got a 99 indy 500 with 7600? miles on it it's something like that and i've put a new voltage regulator in it, a new speedo key, a new headlight bulb, a new spark plug cap, it's on its 3rd set of slides, put some plastic ski's on it this year, 3 inch riser, low windshield, mirrors, handguards with custom extensions, painted the hood screens and the nosecone vent and the running board trim, and i put on a lot of stickers. Sooooooo.. anyways, I haven't had many "repairs" most of my stuff i just added and this sled has been super reliable and not only is it fast for a 500, it gets 14-16 mpg!

And you forgot that you polish it 3 times a day too. :>)

ubee

I have seen quite a few Polaris 500 AND 600 INDYS with 10,000 plus miles if the primary clutch has been serviced or high mileage trail riding without a lot of stop and go on them! belts , hyfax , wear bars,bearings normal wear items changed when needed. old phazers were high milers too!

t660redrocket

Just rolled 6000 miles on my 07 Summit 600 SDI. I've replaced the track (my fault), hyfax and a relay. Problem free sled so far!

beakjones

We've got 2 500xc's from 2001 that have over 11k on original motors. They've done us proud...

our XLT has over 11k as well, but required one engine rebuild.... which is pretty good for an XLT.

Our 700 and 800 RMK's are 1800 and 4500 miles respectively, those boys we don't expect to make 10k trouble free - and this we expect.

Banjo Man

Had 2 Indy Trails 488 fans that both had over 14000 when sold and are still
running strong.
2000 XCSP with 11,000 1 rebuilt
2001 600 Classic with 7500 no problems

polarfreek

I dont care if its a Polaris, Ski-doo, Yamaha or whatever. If you buy it used, just remember you will never know who rode the thing. I have a 01 800XC that started making a weird noise in the motor at the end of the 09 season. Come to find out the whole left cylinder,piston and 2 bearings on crank were a ticking time bomb. Motor had almost 5K on it and It's wide open or stop with this thing when I ride it. Not bad for 8 seasons on a perfect sled. I fixed it and plan to ride it for another 5K. The rest of the sled is well maintained over and over. Save your money on a new one. The warranties are junk anyway.

snow_monkey

Here's another take. I was going to replace my 2002 xcsp this year as I was edging close to the 6,000 mile mark. Instead I decided to keep it and bought the shop manual for the sled. The last couple weekends between rides I have been pulling of parts and checking everything for wear and making sure the sled is perfect. I decided to use this sled to learn how to do most repairs myself saving a ton of cash. If you never learn how to fix this stuff it makes sense to buy a new sled every 6,000 miles. I have a new respect for the high mile sleds and the owners who maintain them.

whitedust

Here's another take. I was going to replace my 2002 xcsp this year as I was edging close to the 6,000 mile mark. Instead I decided to keep it and bought the shop manual for the sled. The last couple weekends between rides I have been pulling of parts and checking everything for wear and making sure the sled is perfect. I decided to use this sled to learn how to do most repairs myself saving a ton of cash. If you never learn how to fix this stuff it makes sense to buy a new sled every 6,000 miles. I have a new respect for the high mile sleds and the owners who maintain them.

I understand what you are saying snowmonkey but all 2010 about to be 2011 sleds any brand ride sooooooooooo much better than a 2002 xcsp. Your are missing a lot in ride quality & handling with your old xcsp but that is ok.......just not for me. There is a time to move on & enjoy the new tech. I think handling improvement is the best single reason to move on & Poo is thinking the same with the new Rush.

twodogs

Thanks Rankins800 made me LOL.

Thanks for the post guys. In 2002 I bought a new zr600. Beat the crap out of it for about 4 years. My buddies moved away, snow cover around here became non existant etc and I ended up selling the sled, it had about 4500 miles on it but it ran like a champ. I guess the lesson I learned is NEVER SELL THE SLED until you have another to ride.

snow_monkey

I'm listenen to ya white dust. I cant wait to get a new sled, this one's been my baby since new. My bros best buddies bought two 09 800 skidoos and they both melted down at 1200 miles, polaris has had too many problems with their new motors, cats were heavy but now have what seems to be a great 800. The two doos ended up rebuilt and launched on craigs list! I know the ride of the new sleds is superior to the old tech and I can't wait to get one of these babies in my garage. Originally I was leaning towards the cats, currently I'm eyballin the 2010 adrenalin with the x-package. Just waiting to see that the 800's are ok. I will not take a chance on getting burned with a bad sled. When I purchased the left over 700 poo I got it for 5,400 out the door. It was a proven reliable sled for that year and it has not let me down.

whitedust

That IS the way to do it snowmonkey check them all out & you will know what is best for you. Doo about to release 800etek any day now.

nic

Practically everyone I know disconnects the speedometer/odometer in their machines- so personally, miles mean nothing. You have to look at the condition of the machine. Ask for any available service records, etc. How someone rides (do they think they are a snowcross racer that beats the crap out of it or do they trail ride and open it up on the lakes only?) has a big impact. Has it been trailered on an enclosed trailer (this is the first question I ask if buying a used sled- salt DESTROYS snowmobiles) at all times? If the machine is in great shape and it's a sled that is known to be a good runner (as someone noted, we all know the lemons)- I wouldn't worry too much about the miles. My opinion anyway.

snodogg

I just sold my 03 500 xcsp 6100 trouble free miles. a lot of potential buyers said "thats way too many miles!" The kid who bought it thought he got the deal of the century after he looked at a few other sleds in the same price range. I had another potential buyer who would have bought it, his other sled was a 99 600 XC with 17,000 miles. Makes me regret selling the one with 6100 as it was still practicaly new...

I was ready to upgrade to new technology, I thought the edge rode awesome but my back is really thanking me now for the upgrade in suspension!

sleddinfool

I have a sister in law that has an 05 polaris classic 500.. Sled is pushing 9,000 miles.. I have a 74 chaparral ssx liquid cooled 440 that hasn't been ridden since 1984-- It has 17,142 miles on it. Kevin