What was your favorite chassis?

euphoric1

Obviously there have been leaps and bounds with chassis development, handling and ride. But it doesn't mean the newest may be your most favorite. For me it was Arctic Cat's F chassis, we still own one an F8. What I like about it above the rest I have owned is the rider position, felt like a wider stouter chassis as to how it felt when you sat on it, and I also felt it the easiest to throw into and aggressive riding pattern, and overall liked how it handled and cornered. My favorite F chassis was my F1000, shook like you wouldn't believe at idle but was like riding a freight train, miss that sled. So what was your favorite chassis amongst the sleds you have owned?

maddogg

I still really like my wife's 2010 IQ with the stiff seat and rider forward. The indys will always have a place in my heart though.

warner

97 zr440 with black magic twin pipes..that lil hoe bag would rip.
course i was much lighter back then.

ICT Sledder

Honestly, if we're talking a smooth, groomed trail, the last of the old school ergo sleds in the late 90's and very early 00's just can't be beat for handling and fun factor. The new rider forward sleds have lots of advantages, and I'm definitely not arguing we should go backward, but what the new sleds will never be able to capture is that low center of gravity feel, along with riding "in" the sled rather than "on" the sled.

hermie

98 SRX, best handling sled I've had! Thing was on rails!!
I agree the Yamaha pro action chassis was the best handling chassis I rode. It felt like you were on rails. My 99 sx and my 02 viper were so much fun to ride on a smooth and twisty trail. I miss the handling of those sleds but I do love how the new chassis don't beat you up when the trails get rough like the old ones did. There are days when the trails are smooth though that I miss my 700 SX.

nytro_rtx

I agree the Yamaha pro action chassis was the best handling chassis I rode. It felt like you were on rails. My 99 sx and my 02 viper were so much fun to ride on a smooth and twisty trail. I miss the handling of those sleds but I do love how the new chassis don't beat you up when the trails get rough like the old ones did. There are days when the trails are smooth though that I miss my 700 SX.
Agreed on everything you said! I'm hoping to pick up another SRX to ride if the trails are smooth!

Nitro ,I still have a 98 600SRX with 5800 miles on the clock. Still runs great and in very good condition. It is still a blast especially on the groomed or smooth lakes.

Hoosier

I really wanted one of those late-90s/early 2000's blue yamaha srx or sxr. To me it's the best looking chassis ever. Of course by the time I could afford one, yamaha moved on the heavy 4 stroke only world.

southyoop

I had a '95 ZR700 with 44" wide carbon fiber front end, 11" of travel, with an M10 rear end. Get on the throttle halfway through a corner to transfer the weight and it ate up the bumps. My '03 F7 was faster and lighter, but felt like a weeble-wobble compared to the 700 setup. It just felt like that sled was locked onto the trail and was super stable.

pclark

Loved this sled, 2001 Polaris 600 Classic with M-10. It served me well up until I sold it last summer, Liberty motor was bullet proof, but it needed frame re-welding and some new parts. Put over 17,000 miles on it.

1664285196208.png

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Johnny.png
Bogies and Leaf Springs for me. Those Slide Rails will never work, too much friction, they'll slow ya down, and they'll wear out after an hour or two. Bogies, Leaf Springs, and a good Chiropractor. That's the ticket!

G

G

2003 ZR 900. I still have four of them. They will still smoke a new high center of gravity sled on a tight smooth trail. They are also warmer to ride. And you can throw them. You can't throw these new high sleds. If the back end gets loose on a newer sled you probably crash. If the backend gets loose on the ZR that is just normal operating procedure. Fun factor.

nytro_rtx

Nitro ,I still have a 98 600SRX with 5800 miles on the clock. Still runs great and in very good condition. It is still a blast especially on the groomed or smooth lakes.
Keep ahold of it and enjoy it!! I'll have another 98-02 SRX sometime in the future! They really shine on the lakes and groomed trails, always planted to the trail.

hermie

Keep ahold of it and enjoy it!! I'll have another 98-02 SRX sometime in the future! They really shine on the lakes and groomed trails, always planted to the trail.
Would be nice to find a clean 02 SRX but they are hard to find

wiviperman

The Yamaha Pro Action found on the SRX and SX Viper's and 97 up Vmax's. I bought a 2002 SX Viper new and still have it, even to this day it is fun to ride. Definitely can't compare to the new sleds with the even longer travel suspension, but when the trails are smooth the Pro Actions shine.
I even liked the Pogo stick strut suspension chassis from the prior era Vmax's (I still have the 1996 Vmax 500 that I bought new) always wanted a Vmax 4 back then, just couldn't afford one.