Where can one put their money these days as a fair investment?

whitedust

$250k federal insurance limit. Pita but I had money spread all over in banks pre 2008 collapse dodged a bullet for sure.

heckler56

Boomers are born 46-64 so they have been retiring for many years and more to come. Many Boomers have decided to retire in place not move so that’s one of the reasons there is only 1.5 months inventory of real estate for sale when inventory should be 6 months plus. That won’t change anytime soon.
Agree. My philosophy is there is a paradigm shift coming. Each generation drives it where they are at in their lives and career. Young you have no money and spend on necessities particularly building your family. Later you spend as wages and kids are out of the house, then shifting to worried about retirement. I think traditional economists (Keynesian or Monetarist philosophies) are missing this element.

whitedust

Agree. My philosophy is there is a paradigm shift coming. Each generation drives it where they are at in their lives and career. Young you have no money and spend on necessities particularly building your family. Later you spend as wages and kids are out of the house, then shifting to worried about retirement. I think traditional economists (Keynesian or Monetarist philosophies) are missing this element.
Typical unending cycles. Greatest Generation loosing in numbers everyday almost gone and Boomers will be the same soon. Circle of life nothing new and I’m loosing friends everyday totally unpleasant but that’s life.

wiharley02

High yield savings accounts are another option. Many are high 3's almost 4%. Not as good as ~5% on some CD's.....BUT.....your cash is still liquid, not "locked" to a due date or early withdrawal fee.

WorkHardPlayHrd

I suggest government backed investments, cd’s (limit yourself to $250k at any one institution to keep w/in FDIC or FSLIC insurance or go with T-bills). I would stay away from RE. At 66 we are the top of the bell curve and our bodies will force Baby boomers to sell properties we can no longer walk up stairs. Investment funds are buying properties and charging rents for amounts unsustainable by the next generation. A correction like 2008 (when the first BBs hit retirement age) is just around the corner.
I unfortunately agree with this. People are loading up on credit cards and it is only a matter of time till they start defaulting. No backing on this situation.

I do options on a day to day basis. If I don't see what I want I don't trade. Until rate hikes are in control, Until interest rates drop, Until basic essentials are in line the overall market is a gamble. My 21 year old son just got his inheritance from his grandparents. The Edward Jones guy had flipped out when we walked into the office and told him to sell everything and wire it to Etrade. He said your making a huge mistake. My son goes you've lost me 15% of the value in 9 months and I still have to pay you. How is letting my Mom control it better than you.

If he could have gotten control of it earlier he would have, but due to an irrevocable trust his Aunt controls all heir assets Until they are 21. His youngest brother still has 5 years. I begged her to move everything to bonds and cd's and she refused. Said there is no way the market will go any lower.

Rental is risky, we have 2 houses and right now it's a dream. 2 families that pay like clockwork. This has not been the situation. When the 1 family moved out for nonpayment during covid,(I found drugs in the house on an inspection and said they could leave or I was calling the cops) we left the house sit all winter at 40 degrees rather than get someone in it with the covid rules at the time and not be able to get them out. I have learned renters are hit and miss. The 1 family wants to buy the house they are in, and we are considering it we can get the township to let us separate it with just 5 acres.

CD's are likely your best and safest return at the moment.

snomoman

I’m just sick and tired of all the stress of watching my investments dive, I’m thinking of liquidating everything and buying some nice waterfront acreage in the UP, I think that’s a much more solid investment

whitedust

I’m just sick and tired of all the stress of watching my investments dive, I’m thinking of liquidating everything and buying some nice waterfront acreage in the UP, I think that’s a much more solid investment
Careful with waterfront in an area with plentiful lakes. Like size can determine the value of the real estate. I like smaller clear water lakes with separate basins to break up wakes around 200 acres or so but potential buyers think they need big water like 1000 acres for premium prices. Goofy imo but that’s how appraisers think as well.

pclark

I here you on the dive, I haven't taken as big of a hit but it may not be the time to buy waterfront depending on where that is. I live in Northern WI on a larger chain of lakes and the prices are insane up here. We bought our place 8 years ago at what I considered the bottom of the market up here and I figured at that time if we didn't pull the trigger we would never have a place up here. as it turned out I was right (Lucky?) and the value has gone up incredibly high. Like Whitedust said, do your homework where you buy and what you buy, for instance, buy what you and your wife are going to be happy in, not just a great deal. Remember, there is a reason the price is low, think about resale in case you are forced to sell or if you find out you don't like the area or the lake you settle on. In the end I think real estate is a good investment in todays age but right now the prices are too high and interest rates are not helping either, if you buy now you maybe be overpaying for property but that is a decision that is yours, good luck in whatever you decide.

RHFD547

Parabon Nanolabs. They are solving unsolved crimes and murders at a record pace through extensive genealogy submissions by individuals looking for thier family history.

1fujifilm

Alright, I'm 66 and and just treading water, no, actually losing ground like I'm sure everyone is? I'm down about 15% since Covid 3 years ago and not making up any ground. Whenever I do make a run, it just slips away again. Is there anywhere that is a safe 5% investment?

The Silicon Valley Bank collapse is a little unerving, of course, Janet Yellen (older than dirt) and the White House says "it's an isolated incident". Thoughts?
5.12% for 7 months at Verve C.U., they have a local store in Appleton, WI (amongst others). Put in 240k for you and 240k for your spouse etc..

Bear

kirk600

I put some money in 12/24 month CD's and will wait on the sidelines. I also would put some in a ROTH IRA , max it out, and either buy stock or more CD,s

Kirk600

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
After the crash in 08 we decided to go with a series of CD's at various Savings and Loans in our area. Our intent was to take it out of all risk despite the lower returns. They've probably grown about 15 to 20% over time and we haven't lost anything. They're there for a rainy day or if an emergency comes along. If we never use them, then they'll go to the next generation.

I guess beginning right around Covid, our holdings in the market have lost value despite most of them offering Dividends which helps off-set some of the losses. For those looking at the Stock Market, I'd be watching AAPL DE and MSFT, they've been showing positive signs in the last few weeks.

There's an old saying that most of us have heard, "If you can't afford to lose it, stay out of the Stock Market". Spend your money on snowmobiles and boats instead. It's more fun and you'll sleep better at night.

Gary
'

snomoman

PM me if anyone is looking to sell any lakefront property in the UP,
would rather invest in something I can enjoy instead of the stock market

pclark

Associated Bank has a Savings account program right now if you put $25K into it you will earn 4% for one year (payable each month) and it's not tied up. There is no limit if you were wondering. They are fairly aggressive right now with good interest rates on CD's and now savings accounts, in fact we also bank at JP Morgan Chase and they pay next to nothing for interest on savings accounts, too busy buying failed banks like First Republic Bank.

whitedust

Associated Bank has a Savings account program right now if you put $25K into it you will earn 4% for one year (payable each month) and it's not tied up. There is no limit if you were wondering. They are fairly aggressive right now with good interest rates on CD's and now savings accounts, in fact we also bank at JP Morgan Chase and they pay next to nothing for interest on savings accounts, too busy buying failed banks like First Republic Bank.
Beware those that need cash pay the largest interest rates. Make sure you have fed insured account.

bayfly

I think if you look at the history of the stock market, after every downturn there has been an upturn. Sometimes the upturns have been very significant. Perhaps consider an S&P index fund and let it ride. Getting out of the market at a low point and waiting for it to go back up before getting in is usually not a great strategy. But if the risk causes you not to sleep, then it's probably not worth it.