Where can one put their money these days as a fair investment?

pclark

I think if you look at the history of the stock market, after every downturn there has been an upturn. Sometimes the upturns have been very significant. Perhaps consider an S&P index fund and let it ride. Getting out of the market at a low point and waiting for it to go back up before getting in is usually not a great strategy. But if the risk causes you not to sleep, then it's probably not worth it.
Agree, very different times we are in, I think this downturn will last quite awhile. I am not getting out of the market, only looking for opportunities to make a little back. Market investment is long term, if that's not your deal then you probably shouldn't be there.

dfattack

Agree, very different times we are in, I think this downturn will last quite awhile. I am not getting out of the market, only looking for opportunities to make a little back. Market investment is long term, if that's not your deal then you probably shouldn't be there.
You are correct. As long as the left is in charge it will stay this way. They want this. Same thing during Obama years. Companies were hesitant to spend any money when he was in office. Things started to take off when trump came into office. There was more confidence in the economy.

pclark

You are correct. As long as the left is in charge it will stay this way. They want this. Same thing during Obama years. Companies were hesitant to spend any money when he was in office. Things started to take off when trump came into office. There was more confidence in the economy.
Yes, lots of money sitting on the sidelines. If you were to look at managed brokerage accounts you would see that a lot of them have cash sitting there ready to invest when the time is right. Inactivity is not good for the investor or the economy, and that's what we have right now. Sell offs are just market jitters and we see that every few days after we make a little bit of a run. I agree that we will not make any money until this clown and his idiots are out of office and that's a shame that Brandon is allowed to make decisions which greatly affect peoples investments and 401K accounts.

bayfly

The 250,000 new jobs in April is likely to cause continued rate increases by the Fed. Coupled with a further jump in the hourly wage rate, it doesn’t appear that the end of this cycle is near. Somehow we need to find more workers to meet the demand or the Fed will continue to push the rates to kill the growth. It seems there is way too much money being pumped out through our gov’t, which just adds fuel to the fire. A good place to start is with the spending reductions as part of the debt ceiling deal, but I doubt that will happen.

Last edited:

indy_500

Been slacking on getting some of my savings dumped in a 7 month CD, and now my work is really slowing up. Not so sure I’m going to pull the trigger now.

pclark

Been slacking on getting some of my savings dumped in a 7 month CD, and now my work is really slowing up. Not so sure I’m going to pull the trigger now.
Number#1 rule-Do what you think is right with regard to your finances. Check out Associated Bank Relationship Savings account, you might qualify and earn 4%.

jjj70095

Put every penny you have in Apple stock, but buy long term put options as insurance to protect most of your portfolio, and your entire portfolio will double and triple through the years..,.. (assuming Apple will continue to do well)....diversification is not your friend (that is not a typo)....it has been my strategy for years ....

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have to agree, AAPL has been a very sound investment for us. Not bragging, just blind luck that we bought our first shares around 2005 and it's done nothing but increase in value over the years. More than tripled and multiple splits along with dividends.

jjj70095

We bought our first batch around the same time! It was $65 a share at the time, of course has split several times since then...My broker told me to sell after it went down to $50 at the time....glad I did not listen...