Who has not had any problems with the dnr

Who has not had problems with the WDNR

• No Problems

Votes: 105 76.6%
  • Problems

Votes: 32 23.4%

• Total voters

sleddawg007

Checkpoint Charlie in Iron County....showed card and moved on. Not a problem. I did have Ohio DNR boat stealthly sneak up on my buddie and I backwater fishing. All of a sudden. "hi guys got your license?" damn near fell out of the boat they were so quiet.

indy_500

at a gas station in wausaukee, a lady cop pulled up because my uncles sled didn't have current registration stickers but he had the paperwork because he didn't recieve his stickers yet and she sat there for 45 minutes calling people to look up stuff for her because his vin number wore off on the tunnel. at the time i was only 12 and i didn't have my liscense with me so after me and my dad gassed up, i took off like i wasn't with them.

jbs

No problems here. I have been stopped and checked a few times and always sent on my way.

dab102999

Never had a problem but last year sure was a nuesance for lack of better terms. They would sit in the same area down by me and it was an area that you usually went through a couple times a night. Sometimes 4 or 5 times and everytime they stopped our entire group and had us get off our sleds and go through our regs and so on. I wish they would have come up with a system that they could put a sticker on your windshield or something that would let them know they checked you. Now this year we have a new officer and all he does is walk up beside your sled, look at trail sticker and reg on side and wave you on. I like that alot better. Not that I have a problem getting stopped. If that get's a few drunks off the trail that is good. But the way they were doing it would only spot a drunk if he fell off a sled, they didn't have any one take off there helmets. And never asked for I.D. They just wanted to check paper registration against sticker one. (which I can't think of why would be different, plus it doesn't tell you who is riding the sled) It is just the way they were doing it last year would take quite a while. Expessially if you came up on them and they had a group of 20 or so ahead of you. One time we spent over 1/2 hour, maybe longer waiting just to get checked.

Last edited:

oldguy

How about a could of been much worse experience. I was running down a wide smooth swamp trail last year in MN and was kind of getting on it. I saw something move on the side of the trail about ¼ mile ahead. Looked at the speedo and was pushing 90 when I hit the brakes. It was a DNR with radar. I knew I was guilty and pulled over and told him it looks like you got me. The DNR guy said he had me at well over 80 when I slammed the brakes. He just gave me a 60 mph in a 50 mph it was a $125.00 fine. He could have written me up for a careless.

rsvectordude

I have never had a problem with the DNR in Houghton County. Been checked many times hunting, fishing, and sledding and have never gotten a ticket or problem with them..

1blue99srx600

Yes, About 4 years ago on the Elroy Sparta bile trail. Was issued two tickets in one shot. 1. Not stopping at a stop sign at a street in Elroy by Jims Trailside Gallery (Which I will go to my grave knowing I did in fact stop) 2. Trespassing on private property which was Jims Trailside Gallery

My group came to the stop sign and proceeded to go and ended up going down a path that was not a trail. I came to the stop sign and stopped, I proceeded past when I realized I had to turn around. I used Jims Trailside gallery parking lot to turn around and did so respectfully.

Met my group at the next stop sign on the bike trail and saw the truck with the sleds.
They claim they were up the street and saw the entire thing. Asked me for my info asked me why I did not stop I said I did, they said I didn't. Then asked me if my machine had studs I said Yes, why? Well you were trespassing on private property any you destroyed his asphalt. What? Sir, yes my machine is studded why would I destroy my machine by lighting up the track on bare asphalt and why would I want to destroy his lot?

20 min and 2 tickets later we were on our way. I had to call Jims Trailside Gallery and speak to Jim and explain what happened, he was kind enough to draft a letter absolving me of any wrong doing and that there was infact no damage. I hired a lawyer to go to court for me and in the end had to pay the no stop ticket but the trespassing got tossed.

I'd just like to say Thanks to a certain officer for making my day TWICE!

Other than that have been stopped and checked but no problems since. Once 5 times in one day!

mxz_chris

Never any tickets, but stopped numerous times by the same IL DNR on the Fox Chain. You think Wi DNR is rough, try those A**holes. Every time we were anywhere near the channel between Lake Marie and Grass Lake, they'd stop me. They even recognized me, but still checked to see my registration and if I was drinking. I was the only one in the group with WI reg., guess who was hassled the most?

Banjo Man

I have been stopped for stickers when in my pocket and not on the sled and
also for rolling thru a stop sign. Never got a ticket.
Have talked to several DNR officers, either on the trails or in a restaurant,
and have found them to be really nice guys who do not want to stop anyone
from having a good time. In fact most of them sled when they are off work.
Their deal is to keep it safe for all which means tickets, warnings and sometimes arrest's.

doo_dr

Never had any problems that weren't "self inflicted". The only goofy issue I had was in a thread a few weeks back. Put my shanty on the lake before they set trail markers out on the lake (placed in the same location for the last 5-6 years) and when they put the markers up they put them closer to my shack. The DNR came over and told me that "I" put my shanty too close to the trail.
Years ago we had a great event. A group of us were staying at Lakewoods and we went to Telemark one evening for dinner and to look around. When we crossed the road going into Telemark the DNR turned on the lights to stop us. One of the guys in the back was a little too nervous and he turned around and got on the side of Cty Rd M and blazed off towards Lakewoods. You could see sparks flying as he crested over the hill on M. The DNR was just doing a reg and DWI check. They did thier thing, no problem, and then asked if we knew who took off. Luckily he all held a straight face and said "NO, Just someone following us into the lodge" When we got back to Lakewoods that night our freind said that he was nervous of a check (not alcohol) and only remembered how to get back to the lodge by road. Yep, He wore one of his steel skis off to the spindle road running all the way back to Lakewoods (about 5 miles). It was pretty darn funny!!!

Last edited:

chadlyt

never had a problem. I was stopped at a crossing one day and was checked to make sure i had everything and was legal. Then was interviewed by the local paper on what i thought about the DNR and sheriffs office teaming up on the trails.

Right now, if i were stopped, I'd get a ticket. My trailer stickers fells off my new sled and i have an extra copy i keep in my pocket just in case and i wont put them on until its warmer.

skdoo500adr

Wonder Lake Radar Runs

Just wondering how many sledders had there Super Bowl Sunday cost them a few more dollars. I heard at least 65 tickets were written today on Wonder Lake, IL. Mainly for registration violations.