Window Brands

Wild Bill

Anybody ever used Hurd windows? I am researching their site and seems like a good WI brand. Any thoughts/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

WILD BILL

garyl62

I installed some a while back. Seemed fine if I remember correctly. Never had any complaints or call backs about them. I don't remember the price point but seems they were closer to the Pella, Marvin, Anderson level, not the box store knock offs.

anonomoose

If they are the same company (not bought out) as they were a few years ago, they make a darn nice window.

But they all seem to fail eventually unless you put storms on them...seems to save them somehow or other....so look at the features and then look at the warranty on them all. Warranty can put new windows in your home for next to nothing...which means half price at first purchase if you know what I mean....so make sure they are using good seals and then shop the warranty...longer the better.

ezra

warranty means squat on building products they can and will find a way out like not brand name approved house wrap brand name approved watter proofing tape nails 3 in appart not 2 7/8 you did not register the sealer u used millions and millions of ways out for them.
I have seen huge brand name window corps denied warranty clames when there guys put windows in.

chords

Yeah warranty means nuthin. I put windows in and no thought was put towards that. My warranty was how good can I install them. I'm not completly happy but very much so from any other view point.

snoseekr2

after being in the trades for over twenty years, in putting in millions of windows, there are a lot of off name windows, that not a lot of people have heard of, that are actually made by name brand companys, such as herd, vetter, which is made by crest line. Sure you could spend big bucks, and install andersons, or pellas, when there are windows on themarket for half the price made by the same companys. I personally like jeldwens and just put them in my own home, hope this helps.

anonomoose

NOt sure about all the others but when I bought I did pay attention to warranty, and ended up with Anderson windows which was not made quite as nice as some of the others, but they blew away the others with a 20 year warranty. I don't think they offer it that long anymore, but I can tell you that when several started to fog up in mid winter a couple years ago, I just called them up gave them the size and color and the date in the corner and they shipped the replacement windows to a local store near me...and I installed the windows myself.

So warranty worked for me...and I know that had I replaced those windows outside of warranty it would have been EXPENSIVE....

Just say'n!

Wild Bill

Thanks All for the input, except SledTL. Your joke was not funny.

The more research I have done Hurd seems like a great WI brand with a lifetime "Limited" warranty.

Thanks again,

WILD BILL

Last edited:

indy_500

We built our house 16 years ago with Anderson windows, 8 years ago we added on an addition including 2- 3x6 windows and a patio door all Anderson. No problems or complaints here, they are all still in great shape.

polarisrider1

Anderson builds a pretty good window and warranty thru local lumber yard is very good. Only issue is they nickle/dime you on everything such as jamb extensions, screens, window cranks, etc..

greggk

Bill, I own a large Hurd dealership in the Chicago area and would be happy to help answer your questions. Hurd builds a nice window and is a good price point. You can reach me at 847-465-8101. Gregg

98panther

I sold Hurd windows in the early 80's, haven't hurd (heard) the name in a long time.

Seems they recently sold, this link kinda shows how much a warranty is worth - not much.
http://www.hurd.com/faq#9

If the warranty is important, I'd stick with one of the big 3, Marvin, Andersen, or Pella.
At least they haven't changed hands.

greggk

If you have an issue with an older Hurd window, we can still take care of it. There are some limitations but as a dealer, we want to keep customers. We also sell Marvin and in my mind it is the best product on the market but it can be 20% more in cost and a budget buster for some. The nice part about Marvin is they include labor with the parts warranty and most do not do this or only include labor for 1 year. Pella just got a major class action lawsuit (again) loss in court and in my mind Andersen is an overprice vinyl window (400 series) or a cheap vinyl window (200 series). At the end of the day the quality of the installation will make the window perform and poor installation can make any window perform poorly.

G

G

Keep the conversation going. I am looking to replace my windows this summer. The original Eagle windows are junk after 16 years. They were installed by a very good GC. So I don't think that was the problem.

mojo

i had good luck with weather shield. but marvin is good window. but looking for good window on budget look at weather shield

snocrazy

I am a believer in the Anderson. Just installed casement (crank out) windows and 2 patio doors. Their reputation for standing behind their products and not making it difficult to claim on warranty was what sold me.

Sure there are comparible products but are they going to honor the warranty or play the "you did not install it correctly" game.

I installed some a while back. Seemed fine if I remember correctly. Never had any complaints or call backs about them. I don't remember the price point but seems they were closer to the Pella, Marvin, Anderson level, not the box store knock offs.

Pella,Marvin and Anderson are three different price points and quality levels. Big difference between Marvin and Anderson.