Wisconsin new 70mph speed limit-opinions thus far?

harski

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to drive on the interstate with the new speed limit but, the little I have around Madison I think it's ramped up well beyond 70mph. Is that what everyone else is seeing? The local news has reported more deaths related to this but not sure if those numbers are real accurate since it's just been rolled out. It'll be interesting to see how fast everyone is rolling going north when I get a chance. I've been a 70-72 mph guy just to keep the fuzz of my tail and of course trying to keep load stable. Again, I'll be interested in hearing your experiences and observations. Thanks!

Harski

indy_500

Drive 41 for a few miles everyday to work. Totally varies. Some days everyone's doing 80, some days 60. On the fast days I definitely think the new speed limit has people thinking they can go as fast as they want...

dfattack

Wisc is one of the last states in the nation to go to 70. I'm sure there are PLENTY of statistics showing the 70 speed limit NOT related to more deaths. Otherwise the rest of the states wouldn't be coming on board with it. I have been to some states that are at 75. I have been driving up from the Chicago area my whole life, driving it for 35 years. I remember when 43 opened between Milwaukee and Green Bay. I would say the speed has bumped up a bit since the increase...maybe 5 MPH possibly 10 MPH but I will say I drive the same speed. For me the speed limit change just makes it easier to drive what I was already driving without having to be concerned about every onramp having a cop sitting at it. I didn't increase my speed at all, but I'm sure some have or will.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drive 140 miles round trip every day to work. I39 to I90/94. People on their phones or tablets is the problem. The new speed limit has nothing to do with more accidents, just the local Walker hating media spinning their bs. Most days people are in the 70-75 range, and Friday's it's close to 80, and Illinois drivers are at 85. Lol. I usually drive 75-78.

whitedust

Wisc is one of the last states in the nation to go to 70. I'm sure there are PLENTY of statistics showing the 70 speed limit NOT related to more deaths. Otherwise the rest of the states wouldn't be coming on board with it. I have been to some states that are at 75. I have been driving up from the Chicago area my whole life, driving it for 35 years. I remember when 43 opened between Milwaukee and Green Bay. I would say the speed has bumped up a bit since the increase...maybe 5 MPH possibly 10 MPH but I will say I drive the same speed. For me the speed limit change just makes it easier to drive what I was already driving without having to be concerned about every onramp having a cop sitting at it. I didn't increase my speed at all, but I'm sure some have or will.

Exactly X2

just_ride

I get in some windshield time with my job and what I am experiencing is more variations in speed from 65 to 80, which make it more dangerous on the road with so many people driving at different speeds.
Also peeps have to pay attention more with speed limits on the same road 55,65 or 70, depending on where your at. I usually drive 75 to 78
that's what I see.

xcr440

I drive from the Twin Cities to Stevens Point fairly regularly, and the average moving speed of drivers definitely went up, but that's a good thing to me. I was usually running close to 80, and now I still run close to 80, but now don't pass people as frequently.

Plus, Minnesota upped the I-94 speed from the loop to the sconnie border as well, which is also a good benefit.

Bottom line on accidents is what Skylar said, put your damn phone down and drive!

I had a guy one time with his laptop leaned up against the steering wheel, yes, LAPTOP, typing away. As I went by him for the 3rd time in about 5 miles, I drifted the trailer right over his front bumper, and the guy about lost it, and obviously got pissed. He drove right up on my *** for the next 5-7 miles before his exit, but I felt safer! He wasn't drifting all over the road with varying speeds anymore, he was PAYING ATTENTION to getting back at me.

ezra

SD is 80 now 75 is the norm in most states out side the city belt way .what I find crazy is they all still keep 40 as the min speed .

sweeperguy

I drive from the Twin Cities to Stevens Point fairly regularly, and the average moving speed of drivers definitely went up, but that's a good thing to me. I was usually running close to 80, and now I still run close to 80, but now don't pass people as frequently.

Plus, Minnesota upped the I-94 speed from the loop to the sconnie border as well, which is also a good benefit.

Bottom line on accidents is what Skylar said, put your damn phone down and drive!

I had a guy one time with his laptop leaned up against the steering wheel, yes, LAPTOP, typing away. As I went by him for the 3rd time in about 5 miles, I drifted the trailer right over his front bumper, and the guy about lost it, and obviously got pissed. He drove right up on my *** for the next 5-7 miles before his exit, but I felt safer! He wasn't drifting all over the road with varying speeds anymore, he was PAYING ATTENTION to getting back at me.

At least he was focused right? LOL

snobuilder

WHEW!....I thought this was going to be about some sorta horschit proposal to put a speed limit on sleds!

Yea, I was wrong....figured folks would only bump it up a little on the freeways but like Indy said, some think its time to go as fast as you want.

beerchug

I have only seen the opposite. I drive i94 every day and find far more people doing 60 65. I find it hard to even get past 70 because of the slow traffic.

frnash

SD is 80 now 75 is the norm in most states out side the city belt way .what I find crazy is they all still keep 40 as the min speed .
Right on, Ez!

Once upon a time, "wayback" circa 1965-1968 or so, there was a grande experiment in California, at least on the Bayshore Fwy between San Francisco and Palo Alto/Mountain View or beyond where there were separate max & min speeds posted for each lane via electronic signs that could also be changed based on traffic conditions; faster lanes had higher minimums, with plenty of overlap to allow for safe transitions from lane to lane! It made a helluva lot of sense to me, but it didn't last long, and clearly didn't catch on.

IMHO, it's not the higher speed as much as a mix of higher and lower speeds that causes problems. (Like that old geezer doing 60 in the left lane, with the left-turn blinker on — hey waitaminnit! … Oh that's not me; Whew, okay.)

That, and distracted drivers, whether fiddling with their cell phones, texting, reading the newspaper or a map, eating (far more than simply a sandwich in hand), shaving, "farding" (Yep, I've seen that too; look that up! :p), trying to corral the unruly kid in the back seat, fiddling with the radio, you name it. (It kinda pisses me off all the jurisdictions passing "no texting while driving" laws. They just don't get it! It's distracted driving, of whatever kind, not just "texting"!)

scottd

and Illinois drivers are at 85. Lol. I usually drive 75-78.

Hey I resemble that!!! I'm an 80-85 interstate guy (ok fine sometimes it may push 90) and higher speed limits just mean I'm speeding less. Was before I lived in Illinois, and probably will still after I don't anymore too. Actually maybe not because my next move I hope to be to the Yoop and no interstate up there, plus I won't have to be in a hurry anymore.

harski

Comments are pretty much what I figured. I don't see me changing much either similar to what dfattack had mentioned. Yea, I feel like I'm back in chi-town some days going down 90/94 around Madison. It really changes your mindset to defensive instead of just chilling out.

Loved the comment on the trailer drifting! I am also known to "trailer drift" stupid people.......you know the ones that pass you and then slowdown enough that you have to pass them again cuz your cruise is set. You end up doing the leap frog thing 2-3 times and thats enough for me...OOPS, sorry about that trailer coming over ! NOT! Then they pass me and look at me like I'm outta control! Whatever dummy!

The other type a driver I can't take is the one that comes up on your tail and sits there for miles on end and takes the aero off your trailer to make it swag.....I think I need to put an offensive sticker on the back to shag them off! They probably wouldn't even notice it though?

blkhwkbob

Hey I resemble that!!! I'm an 80-85 interstate guy (ok fine sometimes it may push 90) and higher speed limits just mean I'm speeding less. Was before I lived in Illinois, and probably will still after I don't anymore too. Actually maybe not because my next move I hope to be to the Yoop and no interstate up there, plus I won't have to be in a hurry anymore.
I live in the Chicago area and the sooner you move up, the better for me and my family.

blkhwkbob

so u are the one slowing the natural flow of traffic
Yeah, cause the natural flow of traffic does 85-90 mph in Illinois and Wisconsin. I know two people that drive trucks that are governed at 65mph I think. It's horrible that people trying to make a living would be possibly slowing down some FIBs trying to get to their play houses.

snobuilder

don't you just love it when 2 trucks that are governed at 65 are passing each other on a 2 lane and it becomes a 14 mile snail race?

it used to piss me off when a 4 wheeler would cut off a semi when it put on its blinker to start a pass.....not anymore....eff them idiots....if it takes you more than a mile to pass what the he.ll do you need to pass for?....a 1/4mile an hour?