Yamaha 600 twin engine ?

outrageous

I am considering putting a 600 Yamaha twin engine in an older sled. Does anyone know what the HP of this engine is and what can be done to pump it up a little more without going into the engine for mods?

ezra

some place around 95hp stock I put aaen pipes and few other things to a buds in like 96 bet it never toped 100hp.but just take 10 tho off head jet it. prob hard to find a timing key but timing never hurt on the old carb sleds.but sounds like sled is on the bench not hard to pull the jugs and just clean up transfer ports so you cant catch a finger tip less than 1hr per jug big help

pman

I have a 97 VMax 600 twin. I replaced the head gasket with a thinner one from Cometic. Look on their website for the thin, high compression gasket. I also installed V-force reeds. Both mods are easy and they woke the motor up. To be safe, I burn 93 octane.

booondocker

Had a 1995 vmax 600. Couldn't hurt it. Had snow rolling over the hood lots of times....never missed a lick. Used it as the backup sled...left it sit for many weeks in dead of winter and it would always start.

Had bad oilers tho....thing used to smoke up a storm in a trailer. Never touched it from stock and sold it for same price I paid for it after five years of use.

snocrazy

My 97 Vmax sx oil pump went bad. Looking for some used cylinders.
I also have a 96 600 vmax LE. My only complaint with these sleds is suspension related. The motors are rock solid. With the exception of the oil pump.
97 motor they changed the cylinder porting. More power. I also agree that cleaning up the ports and using the high perf gaskets to increase compression wakes these motors up. I would stick to the premium gas if thats the route you go. If you are stuffing the motor in an older - lighter sled, I would not worry about going the performance route taking premium gas prices in to consideration. Maybe just some vforce reeds seeing as you mentioned not going in to the motor. Clutching is always a way to wake the thing up a bit. Change the primary engagement rpm to be higher maybe.

uperjim

97 600 vmax XTC here---9700 miles ---just took out a cylinder due to the oil pump failing.

Anyone know what fails in the oil pump????

My engine also took out a cylinder at about 3500 miles but was warranted due to a problem Yamaha had with the ring keepers. The ring would rotate and catch on the port. I was actually well out of warranty but yamaha covered it 100%.

Also have a 95 600 and it it not as snappy and a lousy suspension but rock solid dependable.

Also have a 95 500 XTand that has been rock solid and almost as quick as the 600.

outrageous

Thanks for all the good advice. I havn't bought one yet, I am really looking for a 700 triple, but they seem to be harded to find in my area.

anonomoose

Look it doesn't matter to me what you buy and spend your time with, but if I were you I would STAY COMPLETELY AWAY FROM THE TRIPLE.

They are trouble prone and need fine tuning all the time.

Just been my experience...that's all.

ezra

Look it doesn't matter to me what you buy and spend your time with, but if I were you I would STAY COMPLETELY AWAY FROM THE TRIPLE.

they may be finicky at times but I truly believe that the Yamaha 600 triple is the most reliable sled motor ever made. there are a few 20k+600triples out there on the stock top end still running strong. a guy in my area has over 26k on his with no motor issues lots of skid parts a arms miss electrical but motor still strong.and remember it is me the cat guy saying the best made [reliable]is the 600 Yamaha 3cyl.and you put some bender pipes jets clutching and head work to the 700 wicked power band just crackling across the ice.I had a few so called 700 triples give my thunder a run for its money back in the day

outrageous

700 classis; I am planning on putting it into a 77 Exciter. I am putting a trailing arm front end on it and a 136" track and suspension. I'll try to post pics.
Picsofmy77Exciterproject012.jpg

Picsofmy77Exciterproject013.jpg

L

lenny

where did you hear that from. I have owned many yamaha triples, I own one now and they are not in the least finicky, I mean zilch. They are strong, reliable motors, I highly recommend them

uperjim

I also have a 700 triple in a mountain max and other than having to clean carbs when it idles rough I have had 0 issues in about 6 years. I cleaned the carbs about every 3 years only when it idled rough or started hard and it was always a plugged idle jet on one of the carbs. The carbs actually come out much easier than most sleds I have worked on. A bender can is the only mod I have and I have plenty of power for any UP backwoods or river running situation.

The early engines had some water pump seal issues but other than that they are very reliable. Mine would also foul plugs when starting but only when I had the idle jet issues. The mountain sleds came stock with no thermostat so they needed warming up.

outrageous

Just an update on this project; I have located a 700 triple in a Mountain Max with a 136 Pro action plus suspension. Just exactly what I was looking for. Going to check it out tomorrow and probably will bring it home.

outrageous

Update; Well I got the 700 M/Max last Sat. and have made some progress on this build. Here are a few pics showing how things are going.
Picsofmy77Exciterproject017.jpg

Picsofmy77Exciterproject028.jpg

Picsofmy77Exciterproject027.jpg

Picsofmy77Exciterproject025.jpg

Hope to get more done this weekend, working on motor mounts, and then will be changing out the jackshaft and chaincase.

burmad69

You might want to look for an SRV steering post,they come with a bend in them to miss the carb. Just a thought. You got some good skills there keep us posted

outrageous

burmad69; I had to move the motor left somemore for clutch alignment and am now hoping that it will clear the carb. Thanks for the tip, I may need to check that out.

Indy 500; Once the fab work is all done, the entire sled will be torn down and everthing will be blasted and painted. That pipe is pretty ugly isn't it.