Yamaha dual runner skis

L

lenny

I do not have any experience with the new ski but am very glad to see they have done something. I have had 5 new Yammi sleds since 95 and skis have been just okay. On 2 of the 5 Yamaha's I bought Simmons Gen 1 and they pure flat out rock big time, could not say enough. They will turn a poor handling sled into a dream sled. So, if the new skis do not warrant the cash, consider Simmons as they provide a beautiful ride. I hope this new ski works well, looking for feedback also!

Banks93

I put the snowtrackers on the 2010 prior ski and the handling is great. I would try the new skis if they were as good as snowtrackers.

How was your experience with the snowtrackers dangerous?

ecopter

The huge fins are towards the front of the carbide. When you go into a turn, the weight of the machine is thrown forward. Couple this action with the fins of the Snotracker (plus engine braking), and there are times (unexpected) that the fins dig in and try to whip/throw the hole sled to the outside of the turn. I've had it happen many times. It's alarming.

It's necessary for all skis to have a little give. It's like sliding your hand over a table. Now pretend that your sliding your hand but you have an object sticking down that would bite into the table. Your hand will flip to the outside.

Banks93

I have had 4 pairs and no bad experiences. Did you have the aggressive on the 11 skis? That is what someone told me could be very bad because then the carbide is tilted down instead of up. Maybe that was the issue. PM at TY and I can send you the pm I got from someone who did a study.

ecopter

This happened not only on my 2011, but also my '06 Attak. The study wasn't done by Bergstrom, was it. Quack quack....

whitedust

The huge fins are towards the front of the carbide. When you go into a turn, the weight of the machine is thrown forward. Couple this action with the fins of the Snotracker (plus engine braking), and there are times (unexpected) that the fins dig in and try to whip/throw the hole sled to the outside of the turn. I've had it happen many times. It's alarming.

It's necessary for all skis to have a little give. It's like sliding your hand over a table. Now pretend that your sliding your hand but you have an object sticking down that would bite into the table. Your hand will flip to the outside.

ecopter: Real good explanation of the oversteer problem others have also had with Snotrackers on Apex. I also wonder with engine braking if front shock rebound needed to be slowed or made harder. I had to harden up 1 click this year when I was getting 07 Attak GT front end setteling with engine braking approaching a corner which caused Apex to bite in big time. Rarley use brake just engine braking settle, bite & hammer out. Bud with non agressive Snotrackers on 2011 Apex XTX EPS had opposite problem getting push with the ski Bergstom ragged about.

Would you mind saying how much dual skis & carbides cost?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

To keep the original post on track. Now we have four wasted responses people have to sift through. Also, while you may imply your post was a question sort of on topic, it was really just another sarcastic jab aimed at Yamaha.

And 2 of the 4 were yours, including the one above!

Whitedust,

Thanks for the explanation.

whitedust

$126 for the two skis, $113 for the necessary carbides (two most expensive ones).

Thanks ecopter 2 dual runner skis $126 Aok! Yam acessories are always reasonably priced. For comparo 2 8"triple points cost $200 & do last a long time but $113 for set of 4 new carbides is very fair as well. I'm going to call Kip tomorrow..... Trackside had nothing as of last week.

ecopter

I bought mine from Port at 10% off. You might do better elsewhere. Those prices above were with the discount,

whitedust

I bought mine from Port at 10% off. You might do better elsewhere. Those prices above were with the discount,

10% is fair for key customers & dealers need to make a buck & be there for us. Any dealer that charges me list won't see me again. Always a little give & take & everyone will be happy. Sounds like you learned your way around a super dealer & I have not had much luck with SDs but do very well with Ma & Pa.:)
Please stay in touch & let us know what you think in all conditions wet, hardpack, loose over the single keel Yam ski. I had doo precison skis on MXZ800X no darting at all but just awful in loose stuff with severe push but excelled in hard pack so wondering how the Yan dual runner will do in all conditions?

rsvectordude

I put on a new set of Skidoo pilots on my vector and love them! Only paid $80 for brand new take offs from a Rev XP owner! Put new set of Woodys 6" up the middle and 4" on the edge works great!

Fletch Rider

Picked up my dual runners yesterday. Price was $119 for the skis, $47 for the 2" carbides & $55 for the 6" carbides. Prices are with 15 percent discount & pre tax. Cant wait to give them a try. Also picked up a pair of the new slides for $51 each.

Last edited:

whitedust

Picked up my dual runners yesterday. Price was $119 for the skis, $47 for the 2" carbides & $55 for the 6" carbides. Prices are with 15 percent discount & pre tax. Cant wait to give them a try. Also picked up a pair of the new slides for $51 each.

Let know us know what you think of skis & slides? I'm not sure I need the slides since not a big deal to change every season & not worry about it which is routine for me regardless of brand sled.

Fletch Rider

I agree about the slides and I won't be installing them until I prepare it for end of season storage. Just figured I'd give them a try and if I only get twice the mileage out of them next season, then it will be somewhat of a wash.

wags

TTT, I don't want this thread to fall to the wayside, i'm watching it closely for feedback.

dwz

700 miles on new skis 4 inch carbides, no darting, no push in corners, good bite in corners, may try 6 inch carbides one per ski, snow was mushey in western UP this past week, had slim jim duallys on yamaha skis- no darting but had a tendency to push in corners. I think this should be Yamaha's ski for all model's in the future IMHO.

G

G

If they ever get the carbide issue figured out they should proceed on to a ski with big sides so they could mount helium chambers to counter the effect of the overall heavy tank like feeling of the Yami 4's. I have had Yammi 4s for years but am starting to feel like Yammi is being left in the dust by the other 3. Really nothing significantly new since the '06 Apex. Power steering doesn't count. Correcting little nagging problems that should have been right to begin with doesn't count either. When I buy a $10000 sled I assume it will TURN. I shouldn't have to have a degree in engineering to make it work. Rant over.

Fletch Rider

Installed the Dual Runner skis with 6" inside and 2" outside carbides on my 2011 Apex SE and put on approximately 175 miles this past weekend. The snow was "greasy" due to the warm weather and quite a few corners were icy. I was pleased with the performance and did experience some occasional ski lift but nothing that made me nervous at all. Darting was not an issue but did not come across any hard packed snow/trails. So far I'm glad I went with them and look forward to putting more miles on under various trail conditions.

Last edited: