Yamaha People

nic

fusions 2stroke/4stroke thread has lots of interesting opinions on the various options out there. Here's where we're at- my husband has decided he wants to give the 4S world a try. We've never owned one, but why not? As I noted in another thread- we want to keep machine for probably 4-5 yrs- put on approx 1K miles/yr.
However- we've owned only Polaris snowmobiles so we pretty much don't know anything about the various Yamaha sleds.
I've figured this much out- the XTX means long track. MTX means mountain. RTX means souped up suspension for rougher riders.
But there's the Vector. The Vector and the Apex appear to have very similar body styles. It sounds like the Vector is the more 'trail classic' sled? It is a 4 cyclinder 998 cc motor? What does that translate to for a 2stroke? A 600? 700?
Then there is the Apex. This is another 4 cyclinder motor- more ccs though? What does that translate to? Is it really just a motor difference from the vector to the Apex?
Last- there is the Nytro. This is only a 3 cyclinder, but listed as more ccs than the apex. How do the apex & nytro motors compare? The nytro also has a totally different body style. It looks more like the phazer. That chopped off front end. Is this the more aggressive trail sled?
I'm just having a hard time figuring out what is a good fit for what we're looking for- without understanding the differences/purposes of the various models.
I can tell you that I ride an 800 dragon. Husband has always had the big power sleds as well. Last one was a 600 (bought it b/c it was a good deal at a time we needed a sled) and it just wasn't enough power. Had it for a few years, no major complaints, just missed the extra power. So now if he moves to a 4S- what would be a good fit? I think the answer is apex, but those also come with a large pricetag. We've found a really nice nytro for a good deal, but not sure if that's a good option or what. We don't do off-trail. Not too concerned about the weight. As noted- our older sleds were 90s storms (triple/triples) that far outweighed whatever is out there today.
So anyway- any yamaha info you can provide for what sled works for what types of riders- I'd appreciate it.

L

lenny

I would concentrate on riding style to dictate to you your needs. This is a big decision and being informed is very important. Look closely at what makes a good day of riding for you two specifically. If you could ride trails right now what sort of trail do you prefer? Tight twisty narrow? Open wide rail grades? Combination of both. Do you prefer higher but safe speeds like in the 80mph often. Do you maintain your own sleds.

I have 2 friends that both have Yamaha 4s sleds both named Dan. Dan W has a vector, rides 8-10K a year. He like to ride all over the UP and enjoys just cruising at 45 mph all day. Never in a big hurry, just loves being on his sled. He even put a throttle block to limit his throttle. He works all week out of state and comes back Fri to gas and go through the weekend

Dan Z comes up 5-7 times a year and loves speed. Rides the Apex XTX, very good rider. Loves knowing there are a 162 hp right at the finger and loves the rush of power. Doesn't want to fiddle with 2 stroke oil, wondering if he's gonna burn down holding a steady throttle at 80 mph for long duration regardless of a -10 temp.

You gotta be honest with how you ride, that is everything IMO

If you indicate all aspects of riding preferences it would be easy to offer a educated perspective.

mefroe

I went from 2 strokes to 4 a few years ago and will never go back. i have a 2007 atack which is the same as a apex and has more than enough power a person should ever need. i ride trails only so would not have any idea on off trail but we cruise all day long at 55-75 mph and it will do that forever. Best thing is you won't have the stink on your clothes anymore and the rider in the back of the pack can really tell the difference. A whole lot quieter to ride as far as engine noise and i love the sound of the atack pipes coming out the back. Hopefully you can find some to test ride and see what you think. They are not for everybody or the other companies would be out of business just need to ride some if possable. Not much difference in the vector or apex other than power.

whitedust

I agree wth Lenny but not sure, since you are buying new, that this is a good time to sort all this out as 2012 Vector & Nytro may have many improvements simular to new 2011 Apex XTX & SE. 2011 Vector & Nytro specs could be yesterdays news when 2012s are released. Currently 2011 Apex SE 128 track all Fox air shocks & mono rear & Apex 2011 XTX 144 track has a conventional rear suspension. Nytro 121 or 144 XTX very much a stand up sled 140ish HP more like a 700 very much a fun sporty trail banger also conventional rear suspension. I would think Apex XTX & SE would be the best & most popular choice due to EPS. But if EPS trickles down to the 2012 Vector & Nytro the choice will be more difficult. Phaser may be gone in 2012 & entry level 80HP sled. All sleds have 4s FI motors. Contact Kip at Pat's or Chad at M&M & they will let you test ride these sleds so you know seat of the pants what you like best. Hope this helps.

Banks93

I would say you would like the 2010 or new model Vector GT LTX. It is the FI model. Has excellent throttle response and very quick and has a max speed of 103. Would be compared to a very fast 600 2 stroke. It also handles very good and is a comfortable sled to ride. Price wise good deal for what you get in the machine. My wife loves it.

If you like speed then the Apex XTX is awesome. Nothing will give you the sensation of hitting the throttle on the Apex. The new 2011 with the EPS is great for doing long miles and having a quick sled. I like the longer track for more hook up and it handles the studder bumps better IMHO.

The Nytro IMHO would be more of a younger person who wants to pound around but if you like the rider forward position you can get the XTX to ride decent on trails. To me you just sit too far forward on it.

In summary if you want the fastest best sled go with the Apex model. If you don't mind the speed and want the best bang for the buck and still have a great sled the Vector would be my choice.

I have a 2010 Vector GT LTX and 2011 Apex XTX. The only other sled I think you would compare with these two would be the Ski doo 1200. I would go with the Renegade version of that sled. Good Luck and happy hunting.

punchtech2

Yamaha

I would have to say the Vector would be the best fit for you. It is a 3 cylinder not a 4 cylinder that is equal to a strong 600cc 2-stroke, maybe more. Heavy but a great
groomed trail sled. Motor is wonderful , you have to dial in the suspension to your
weight and riding style but all in all a great trail sled. The apex is built for speed,
the nytro is not a sled for a person who enjoys trail riding, more geared for stand-up
style riding, dtichbanging and offtrail playing, it has a small gas tank, and poor wind protection, fun sled, just not for everyone, the vector though is a great all around 4-stroke!

footinforever

Ski doo 4tec

Ski doo has a great option in several different chassis, the shorties, the renegade, 136 etc. Since you have the time, I would test drive the Ski Doo before you wholeheartedly jump into a Yamaha. Nothing personally against Yamaha, but you wouldn't be doing your due diligence if you didn't try it. I personally like the ergos on the ski doo better than what yamaha offers. But that is a matter of opinion, so like anything, try it before you buy it. I would keep an open mind.

edmarino

Yamaha,Yamaha,Yamaha if you want trouble free riding for several years. A Vector for you and a Apex for hubby. You will both be very happy.

rsvectordude

Nobody mentioned the handling differences between a Vector and an Apex either. The vector while being a 3 cylinder motor sits deeper in the chassis therefore giving it better handling on the twisty trails than the Apex. If all out speed is a must then the Apex is the way to go but for the price difference the vector is only giving up about 22 HP. (130Hp versus 152Hp) The advertised 163 HP is from a modified Apex not a bone stock one. (Modified with fuel controller). I would buy a vector and add a clutch kit and excell header and you'll be close to 140 Hp for under $1000 and still way cheaper than the Apex. My modified 05 vector turned 111 mph on perfect snow conditions on GPS before I geared it down and it's still plenty fast for me..

Pizza Man

I had big motor Polaris's since 1988.
I switched to Yamaha in 2008.
I bought the Apex LTX(136 inch track) and have never looked back.
You will like the sled and the low cost to run it.

Last edited:

Pizza Man

I had big motor Polaris's since 1988.
I switched to Yamaha in 2008.
I bought a new 2008 Apex LTX(136 inch track) and have never looked back.
You will like the sled and the low cost to run it.

snowbuff

Kudoos to all of you who have replied to this thread. The fact that someone can come on here and ask a question like this and get these helpfull and honest replies, makes me proud to be a member of this great site. :)

Sorry to interupt. Carry on!!!

jr37

Not only that, this is a wife trying to make sure her husband gets the best sled to fit him. She's a keeper, for sure. He better not let her get away.

Although, if shes's on an 800, and he's on a 600, she might get away.:)

nic- I would highly recommend riding a Yamaha first before you buy. They are and awsome sled but it seems to me the ride is still behind the other 3 brands. I was considering one myself until I rode one. To me they just don't handle or ride as smooth as the others. IMO

Banks93

nic- I would highly recommend riding a Yamaha first before you buy. They are and awsome sled but it seems to me the ride is still behind the other 3 brands. I was considering one myself until I rode one. To me they just don't handle or ride as smooth as the others. IMO

This is incorrect. A yamaha sled with stock settings handles terrible but if you set them up you can make them perform and rail in the trails.

The other 3 manufactures do a better job with stock settings.

This is incorrect. A yamaha sled with stock settings handles terrible but if you set them up you can make them perform and rail in the trails.

The other 3 manufactures do a better job with stock settings.

Bank.... the KEY word in my post was IMO (In My Opinion). I wasn't stating fact for all. Just MY OPINION. Trust me I know Yamaha loyals swear by their sleds....and who knows I may still have one myself sooner or later

dcfroe

Pretty much agree with what everyone has said. I own older sleds, 2006 Attak (APEX) and a 2006 Rage (Vector). Wife rides the Vector and she LOVES it. Mind you she recently went through MAJOR shoulder reconstruction so I was concerned to say the least. She got along great with the vector. Adjust the front shocks so your front A-Arms run as close to parallel as posible, pull the limiter strap in 1 set of holes, install bergstrom triple carbides on your skis, and adjust spring tension for your weight and you are ready to ride. The Yamaha APEX and VECTOR sleds will not run as fast in the tight twisties as some other sleds however, you can ride a 300 mile day on fairly open trails and feel as good at the end of the day as when you started, the suspention is that good. It all depends on your riding style. (And much of that I hate to admit is somewhat dependent on your age) The older I get I want to relax look at a bunch of new scenery and cover miles, Earlier years I enjoyed those tight twisties to see who could keep up with who on the trail.

whitedust

True Apex & Vectors when set up corectly are pretty much point & shoot sleds & you don't waste a lot of energy moving around the sled. If you want to toss a sled around then YAM Nytro or 2s MXZXP, Rush or Snopro.