Yamaha People

L

lenny

Again...Yamaha loyalists!!! Even back in the day with the Pogo stick front end or even the 99 to 02 SRX's that you couldn't even put your hand between the belly pan and the ground (no suspension) they were "the best" handling and "fastest" sleds around. Now I do know they have come a long way since then...unfortunately they were behind by 10 to 15 years back in the early 2000's. There is no arguing with a "Yamaha loyalist". They are lost in their own world when it comes to their sleds. Again don't beat me up on this "I may own one myself one day" not overly impressed just yet on the ride. (JMO)

I have seen detailed info on these sleds and I would agree with you if there were indication of blind loyalty as the motive, honestly I don't see it. My next sled is a cat but I ride in the woods so it's kinda irrelevant but still a good example of loyalty being a non issue. Your post seems unjustified IMO

nic

fusion- or anyone- why is the resale going to be low? I think I read that in another thread as well- limited nytro market. Why is that? It seems like a great sled to us- so why is the market limited?

indy_500

fusion- or anyone- why is the resale going to be low? I think I read that in another thread as well- limited nytro market. Why is that? It seems like a great sled to us- so why is the market limited?

big bump sled. Most people who buy yamaha want to ride 200 miles a day sitting down.

I have seen detailed info on these sleds and I would agree with you if there were indication of blind loyalty as the motive, honestly I don't see it. My next sled is a cat but I ride in the woods so it's kinda irrelevant but still a good example of loyalty being a non issue. Your post seems unjustified IMO

Lenny...I speak from experience. Talking to people. It seems that the Yamaha guys just won't admit that the brand has been behind for many years. As far as recently I can't say for sure because they have come a long way since say 2000. That is exactly why I am now considering buying one. So to "justify" my post......it's my experience with Loyal Yamaha riders opinions. And if you haven't been in a shell for the past 20 years or so you know what I am trying to point out. The motors on these sleds have always been bullet proof but the suspension has always lagged behind the other three. So to get back to what I was trying to tell nic....ride one before you decide....thats all!! The snowmobile industry has come a long way and all four makers make a darn good sled and before one makes a commitment one should try out the sled of choice before shelling out 10's of thousands of dollars.

Attak man

trail shredder..i read ur post just fine...if u ask me
ur post was a yamaha bash...you start off by jumping
Yamaha loyalist...or did I read that wrong??
Your next post just rude. Keep riding what ur riding...
Btw..what do u ride?? Im guessing a 1980 motoski..but
what do I know...lol

indy_500

I see no bashing in trailshredder's posts. He's right about it all. Their motors are far above everyone elses in reliability. They just haven't been able to keep up with all the new suspension tech. coming out. Yamaha targets a special group of people, trail riders who like to pound miles on/reliability. Do I want a reliable sled to pound miles on? yes But for one I'm just a kid and can't afford one and 2 I love working on sleds and yamaha's are like newer cars, ya just can't work on them. But, they don't need to be worked on as much. I like my big blocks :)

Last edited:
L

lenny

Lenny...I speak from experience. Talking to people. It seems that the Yamaha guys just won't admit that the brand has been behind for many years. As far as recently I can't say for sure because they have come a long way since say 2000. That is exactly why I am now considering buying one. So to "justify" my post......it's my experience with Loyal Yamaha riders opinions. And if you haven't been in a shell for the past 20 years or so you know what I am trying to point out. The motors on these sleds have always been bullet proof but the suspension has always lagged behind the other three. So to get back to what I was trying to tell nic....ride one before you decide....thats all!! The snowmobile industry has come a long way and all four makers make a darn good sled and before one makes a commitment one should try out the sled of choice before shelling out 10's of thousands of dollars.

Okay, I'll give you that, that's reasonable but come on bud, do you really think that the attitude you pose is proper. It's insulting and sarcastic. You could say the same thing in a much better way. The attitude is what many people dislike about discussion boards. On another note, you are relaying info people told you. The thread tile is calling on Yamaha people for info and most of the posters here are posting just that, there experiences with Yamaha sleds. So when you start telling yamaha owners they are blinded by loyality rather than an objective experience, that's just dumb.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of nothing and not saying your buddies relaying their info to you is not relevent. it is relevent. It just seems to me you telling these guys there experiences are blinded by loyality is a radical thought.

You said: "As far as recently I can't say for sure"

We are specifically talking about recent Yamaha models so I am not understanding you point.

Hoosier

I think a lot of people knock Yamaha's suspensions because of the way the Rx-1 rode, and they assume all the newer ones are like that.

Attak man

Yeah I dont get that ..i think the mono is pretty slick..I
Love the eletronic ohlin on mine...just toggle the hand warmer
switch, and make ur ride stiffer or softer.

Ohlin is alot higher quality shock, than some of the manus use.

dfattack

I agree with what Lenny said.

trailshredder, this thread is obviously not for you. She's looking for answers to HER questions...

NIC,

A couple of things to consider...I am hearing that the 2011 sled prices have come down recently. I bring this up because the EPS is that good. You only get that on 2011 sleds, not 2010 sleds as someone previously said. I just sold a 2006 Apex GT with over 5,200 miles on it for $ 6,000. I paid somewhere in the mid 9,000 range on the fall of 2005 when I picked it up. I think that's a pretty good example of holding value. I currently have a 2007 Attak GT that's for sale. It has 5,000 miles on it and I will get around $6,500 for that sled. I paid $ 10,800. The point I'm trying to make is there are some other points to consider when making a purchase. These machines are getting expensive and are an investment. Makes it easier at upgrade time.

I also own a 2010 Vector LTX GT. Up until my new 2011 Apex XTX, the vector was the favorite of my riding partners. For one, Yamaha finally got the grip warmers to work the way they should. Off the line the Vector will hold it's own. It's not until you hit higher speeds that the Apex pulls away. On trails, with equal skill levels someone riding a Vector will keep up with the guy (or girl) on the Apex. Vector has impressive torque. It's very easy to lift the skis off the ground with the Vector. It feels lighter than the Apex (except for the 2011 Apex's with EPS).

I did have to replace the vector's (actually all the Apex's too until the model year 2011) windshield to the mid height so it wasn't so cold. I ride like you and your husband and I think the mid height is a must to stay warm. The 2011's are now coming stock with the mid height windshields, finally. Also, pre-2009 Apex's had softer rear mono springs. I had to revalve the 2007 Attak and replace the mono spring with a firmer one along with a re-valve to prevent bottoming out. While running grades at 90+ a slight dip in the trail would cause the sled to bottom out unless you had the monoshock set all the way up. Newer models were corrected with stiffer springs and re-valved shocks. Bergstroms (if you can ever get him on the phone to order) or snowtrackers are a must. Front ends need to be adjusted for you to reduce inside ski lift. totallyamaha.com has lots of info on this.

I'm a Yamaha loyalist obviously for many reasons, not just reliable motor. I have owned two ski-doos within the last several years. One was the E-Tec 600 which my son wanted. I personally didn't like riding them. They were very light, which isn't a bad thing but it gave me a strange feeling like there was nothing between me and the trail. Like riding a go-kart. It seemed like you felt every little stone or rock on the trail. Almost like you weren't very insulated from the trail. I personally like the right amount of trail feel so to speak. IMO, fit and finish, resale value and the confidence when hitting the trail knowing there is a high probability I won't have a breakdown is enough for me.

Of course, if you were an off trail rider most of this doesn't matter. You'd be looking for different characteristics. But, you said you were a trail rider so I think you are heading in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

srt20

Whatever you do, just put some miles on before you buy. Regardless of what anyone on the internet says about any sled.

Last edited:

fusionfool

I can share our experience. We have had Polaris IQ FST's, and have now switched to Yamaha Vector LTX. The ride of both are good trail riding machines. We now prefer the Yamaha, as it has the easy on the fly adjustment dial on the tunnel to dampen, or stiffen the ride. We like to start out the day with a stiffer ride then tone it down as the trails get rough. As for power, I can not tell the difference between the two even thought the Polaris is a turbo, the Vector has the same feeling of power. Plenty of power for the style of riding that we do (trail) average speed 55 when cruising. Had the Polaris to 96, had the Yamaha to 98. Fast enough for us. Maintenance, depends on what you are doing. Normal maintenance, like oil changes, adjusting the chain tension, hands down Yamaha wins. Fuel economy, well I am a big guy, and we don't ride that hard, but we get 16.5 mpg so far with 1800 miles on the Yamaha's, we got 15 mpg on the FST in best riding. MPG depends on hills, speed, and riding style. I know the Yamaha will get better, but our riding style averages less than others have reported. Ride handling, they are both unique. I liked the FST handling in corners, and took some getting used to the Yamaha as it will lift a ski in a turn. The FST did not lift a ski in the turn as easy. Now I actually prefer the Yamaha, my opinion is it is what you get used to. We are very happy with our choice to move to the Vector's.

Great thread.....as I have stated I am looking at buying a Yamaha too. Me and my wife ride trails and we would like another 4s. We have an FST now and I would like get a Yamaha. I was considering a Nytro but after reading the posts on this thread it seems that the Vector would be more suitible for us. Thank you all!! Although it was a question asked by someone else it helped us as well. No sarcasm intended!! I do appreciate the feedbacks to my earlier posts...as it clarifies my point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

whitedust

Nic: Yamaha sells more Apexs & Vectors by far than Nytros. Apexs & Vectors can be banged on the trail but most users are all day trail riders in it for big miles & don't seek out the junk or break rear skid parts. The post 08 Nytros are the Yamaha sled for that .......but most bump riders opt for a light 2s that they can throw around & abuse in ditches & twistys. When I rode the Nytro RT I went into seek & destroy mode went out of my way for all the bumps & jumps I could find & pound. When I tired of that I rode the Nytro FX & I liked the FX much more forgiving shock package less of an air sled. Soooo Yamaha made a bunch of Nytros shipped to dealers @ $10-11K MSRP & Nytros did not sell like Vectors & Apexs. So the discounting started & you could get a new Nytro for around $8K probably still can if you shop around. You should also know $14.5K 2011 Apex XTXs are now selling around $10,500 so EPS now makes sense at that price where 15K-14K MSRP was nuts. Yamaha does not sit on non currents they lower the price & move the stuff both Fusion & I know that so Spring deals with Yamaha gives you leading edge tech for 1 season then the discounting begins on non currents. So if I was you your best bang for the buck with Yamaha is a new non current & you make the choice of sled you want & start shopping. To anwer your question regarding Nytro resale it depends on Yamaha non current availability pricing/discounting & the number of current 4s ditchbangers seeking a Nytro. A lot more Yam riders looking for Vectors or Apex so those sleds hold value & move quicker thru the pipeline than Nytros. I hope this helps answer your question.

Last edited:
F

fusion

The only thing I'd add to White's post would be this - Nytro is really marketed toward the younger crowd, aggressive riding, "ditchbangers". Major rider forward, stiffer shocking, low windshield, all lean toward more of a stand-up sled. Can it be trail ridden - sure, but not necessarily the targeted market share. As stated previoulsy, fewer Yamaha buyers look to Nytro's vs. Apex's and Vector's, just a fact. I don't have the exact numbers, but I'd guess they are the no. 4 model line behind the aforementioned two, plus the Venture. Maybe Yam sells more Nytro's than Ventures, but I doubt it. Anyways, with fewer people looking for these sleds, this equates to lower demand, and lower demand leads to lower marketability, more discounting and difficult sale of used sled. Same reason it's more difficult to sell 800 2S, just fewer people buying.

Only sled I ever had difficulty and worry about selling was a 93 Thundercat. Talk about taking a bath, I thought I'd never sell that boat anchor. After that I swore I'd be more conscious of resale, and if that meant 600 2S because more people want them, it works for me. Apex 150HP machine hold value very well because 2nd party buyer doesn't have to worry about grenading on his 1st trip after purchase. 4S hyper sleds are a different animal for resale.

nic

Thank you ALL for the awesome responses. Of course riding one is the best thing you can do. Was just looking for some honest info on the various sleds, who has them, what they use them for, and why they like/dislike them. You all gave fabulous information. We found a pretty good deal on an 08 Nytro- but I think we're going to do some more searching. We were fortunate enough to sell his old sled in one day (thanks Craigslist!). We have all summer/fall to poke around and figure out what we want. Good to know that yamaha likes to discount their non-currents. We'll keep our eyes open. Although we ride aggressively- I wouldn't say we're the 'stand up/ditch banging' type. We always stay on trail. But we like to fly through those trails- and if they're bumpy- our philosophy is 'get it over with'.

FZ1

The '08 Fx Nytro's had some darting issues and angles were changed in '09 or '10. I know all the Fx Nytro XTX's had the angles fixed. I have an '09 Fx Nytro XTX and I'm extremely happy with it (I came off of a renegade). 1000 miles on it this year (bought it in Aug of '10). The Nytro does have a love it or hate it reputation. Ride it first if you can. They also require the owner to spend time setting the suspension up to his/her liking. The XTX's have a better resale value then the shorties. My second choice was a '10 Vector GT LTX (first year of EFI on the vector).