Yamaha People

snow_monkey

Here are some quotes from a popular snow mag.
1)apex gt-----more fun than a carnival ride modern muscle sled with high class appeal
2)fx nytro-----launches like it's on nitrous oxide a fun sled for active riders
3)rs vector awesome trail cruiser

groomerdriver

We found a pretty good deal on an 08 Nytro- but I think we're going to do some more searching.

OMG don't buy an 08 Nytro! As close to a death trap of a snowmobile as there was ever built...and the 09's wee only a hair better. The word "twitchy" doesn't come close do doing it justice.

Swear to God...my dealer in Wisco wouldn't sell one unless he prequalified the buyer. People were bringing them back after their first trip and demanding their money back.

IMO...don't care if you do like to ride fast...don't buy any Nitro and I hope we never meet on the trail.

jeff

nic, you really need to ride them and check them all out before you buy. I had the same delema before i bought my 2011 fst. My personal preference. Its the perfect machine for my style of riding. And it doesnt hurt theat its the fastest thing out there. ( just thought id throw that in there for ya attackman) LOL!

groomerdriver

nic, you really need to ride them and check them all out before you buy. LOL!

Problem is and always has been that the only way to get an extended test ride on one is to rent one, and it's hard or almost impossible to rent some sleds.

Example would be a Doo GSX with a 1200 4S. Haven't been able to find a place that rents one in my region of Wisco.

Find somebody on the trail that's riding a sled what you want, offer them $100 for an hour of riding (they ride your sled behind you) on it. Even though it might not be setup to your liking, unless the guy weighs 300 and you weigh 140, it should be close enough to get a good feel if it's the one for you.

A new model?...well....you're SOL!

whitedust

Pat's & M&M very good about demo rides on Yams. Agree.... getting on a GSX is tuf & need to know someone only way I could test ride.

ditchcrusher

Problem is and always has been that the only way to get an extended test ride on one is to rent one, and it's hard or almost impossible to rent some sleds.

Example would be a Doo GSX with a 1200 4S. Haven't been able to find a place that rents one in my region of Wisco.

Find somebody on the trail that's riding a sled what you want, offer them $100 for an hour of riding (they ride your sled behind you) on it. Even though it might not be setup to your liking, unless the guy weighs 300 and you weigh 140, it should be close enough to get a good feel if it's the one for you.

A new model?...well....you're SOL!

Hey GD. I might come to your neck of the woods next week-end. I'll swap ya for a hundred miles and you can ride my gade.

DC

snow_monkey

OMG don't buy an 08 Nytro! As close to a death trap of a snowmobile as there was ever built...and the 09's wee only a hair better. The word "twitchy" doesn't come close do doing it justice.

Swear to God...my dealer in Wisco wouldn't sell one unless he prequalified the buyer. People were bringing them back after their first trip and demanding their money back.

IMO...don't care if you do like to ride fast...don't buy any Nitro and I hope we never meet on the trail.

When I purchased my doo last fall they were giving away nytros for $7,400. I thought that was cheap for a sled that was to retain good resale value. I did not question the price but it made me a little nervous that the prices were so low compared to other manufactures. I made the assumption that the magic had worn out. I still think these sleds have their place although the reviews are mixed. In my opinion how can you go wrong at that price. If price was an issue I would have been all over the nytro!

F

fusion

Thank you ALL for the awesome responses. Of course riding one is the best thing you can do. Was just looking for some honest info on the various sleds, who has them, what they use them for, and why they like/dislike them. You all gave fabulous information. We found a pretty good deal on an 08 Nytro- but I think we're going to do some more searching. We were fortunate enough to sell his old sled in one day (thanks Craigslist!). We have all summer/fall to poke around and figure out what we want. Good to know that yamaha likes to discount their non-currents. We'll keep our eyes open. Although we ride aggressively- I wouldn't say we're the 'stand up/ditch banging' type. We always stay on trail. But we like to fly through those trails- and if they're bumpy- our philosophy is 'get it over with'.

Absolutely, do NOT buy an 08 Nytro under ANY circumstances. They had major problems with the front end spindle geometry and they are twitchy as heck and do not handle without major retrofit. Guys on TY were totally repositioning spindles and things like that. 2010 they were pretty much fixed, as Groomer said, '09's still had problems. Run far away from that '08.

indy_500

I watch nytros on the trail all the time, every tap of the throttle the ski's come off the ground, sounds fun to me :D

nic

Friend has a '10 nytro and he likes it. As indy says- skis are often not touching snow. Prior to these comments, we decided to hold out and take our time looking. But appreciate the specifics on that particular year/model.
I think we're going to spend the summer doing some research and keep our eyes open for possible deals. We'll really get serious about buying in the fall. Hopefully a bunch of people who ordered new machines will be desperate to dump their current rides.

groomerdriver

Hey GD. I might come to your neck of the woods next week-end. I'll swap ya for a hundred miles and you can ride my gade.

DC

Appreciate the offer! But it would have to be a GSX and a GSX only. I'd be happy with either version . BUT...as I posted elsewhere, if the Vector gets EPS for 2012, that's likely my next sled. The EPS is that good FOR ME.

indianawarrior

nic -

With you being in McHenry, you need to slide down to Countryside and talk to Dan at Highlands Yamaha. Expert advice on all Yamaha sleds. When you're ready to buy, I truly do not think you can beat any of their prices or their service from anywhere either.

If I was going to buy either a Vector or Apex both machines would have to be LTX for the Vector and XTX for the Apex.

In my experience, once you have owned a longer tracked machine, you tend to believe that you would never own another short track just for traction and bump bridging capabilities alone.

On the 2011 models, rider ergos are tremendously improved. I purchased an '11 Venture GT this year and also own an '04 Warrior amongst others. The rider position is bar none from the Venture to the Warrior. Hard to get me away from the Venture to ride the Warrior.

As far as power goes, Obviously the 150 hp class rated Fuel Injected Apex will out gun the 120 horse Fuel Injected Vector. The Apex is 4 cylinders at 998 cc's. The Vector is a three cylinder powerplant at 1049 cc's.

Another nice new feature on the Apex this year is the EXUP exhaust, and don't forget about EPS. The Vector does not have either of these features.

Now on to the RIDE. The obvious differencces between the two.....

The Apex has 14.5 inches of rear travel with the Comfort King Dual Shock 144 inch rear skid. The Vector on the other hand has the 136" Mono Shock II Remote Adjust. Rear Travel on this skid is only 11.7 inches.

The Apex has just a bump smaller gas tank too.

To me, the glaring differences are: powerplants, skid, track length, rear travel, exhaust and the new EPS, (Electronic Power Steering).

Finally, the biggest difference, the PRICE. On average between these two models you are looking at an average of about somewhere in the ballpark of around $3500.

As far as oil changes go, the Vector will be the more maintenance friendly machine. I have done oil chqanges on both models. The Apex in my opinion has not improved from previous models. It is still worth it to do this maintennance on your own though. Not difficult, just a pain in the rear.

As far as track/wheel/hyfax maintenance goes....... The MonoShock skid is awesome to do any of the above mentioned maintenance on. VERY EASY to remove skid and track to work on wheels/hyfax/shocks.

Just some extra added experience.

If and when you decide to do the Gemba Walk, goto Highlands Yamaha in Countryside,IL. They WILL treat you right and make you a very satisfied customer. My entire riding group continues to do business with them. We are all from Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan.

gogebictodd

08 Nytro FX

I just bought one used, b4 i read this thread. Now I am depressed.
When reading the general yami chats, the majority of Nytro owners, loved
the sled.......................

Did take it to dealer and had front end checked out/replaced ball joints, checked A arms, locktighted, oil chg ect.

Now have $6,500 into it. (2900 miles when purchased), I have never ridden it yet, due to no snow conditions in da UP. Picked up 2/9.

Darting Issue? From all I read prior to purchase, owners never complained of this. The 08's have had issues as have many other new sleds. 1)Wire harness rubbing on burr(recall by yami and fixed). 2) Ball Joints--bulletin by Yami fixed no charge. The other problems mentioned A arms, and sloppy sterring where on 09's to my knowledge. All fixed by Yami.

If someone has an 08 with any other known problems, I would appreciate knowing, so I can correct in the interest of saftey.

Never rode it yet, and already aprehensive about my decision to buy it.

I trail ride only...............................

It is great to have this kind of dialog available, I really enjoy and appreciate this site.

Cheers!

T

whitedust

gogebictodd: Consider your homework complete. If TY didn't freak you out on 08s don't overreact to this stuff. Those guys on TY are hyper critical & like to reinvent the wheel in 100 different ways.lol I'm sure you can get your 08 tweaked for trail riding you just need to get out there & ride then cure the things you want to improve as any sled. Ride it with an open mind then let us know what you think?

nytro_rtx

WHITEDUST: Will do and hopefully this season yet........Not looking to good though.........

Todd,
I have an 08 Nytro RTX and love it, got 4600 miles on it.
Do you have a place on Gogebic? If so and we get more snow and you want to ride sometime let me know, I have a place in White Pine. When there's snow I'm UP almost every weekend. Maybe I can help you with your Nytro if you have any if you need it.
Just shoot me a P.M.
nytro

F

fusion

FYI - many mags I read said the same things about '08 Nytro as the complaints on TY.
Were the suggested fixes radical over there on TY - no doubt. But the fact still remains, they were initially quite twitchy and unpredictable in the front end. Wasn't just a cooincedence that dealers had so many left over '08's the following season, and prices were several thousand below previous retail. Some guys can tolerate the darty feel on sleds, but many can't.

I heard alot of complaints about Vectors and Apexs with darting on stock ski's with no cure without switching boards. With triple points or duece bars I've never felt the darting on the '09's I own. So some of the rumor is blown out of proportion, but I didn't get the sense this was the case with the early Nytro. As long as you bought it for a good price, you'll be fine when it comes to resale.