Yamaha RX1 punctured heat exchanger

snowshark94

Sled is a 2003 Yamaha RX-1. We were riding up in Houghton this past weekend and on our way back of riding 350 miles I noticed Antifreeze leaking from a slit in my heat exchanger. It looks like a stud from the track ripped out and cut open the heat exchanger, leaking all the fluid, it is bone dry. It is the front heat exchanger by the cog wheels, in front of the track. I do have tunnel protectors for the studs.

Has anyone replaced this heat exchanger before or welded it?

I heard I could just bypass that unit with the coolant hose because it was an optional cooling part and didnt come on some units. I am afraid of overheating if I do this.

If anyone has info on this or knows about this problem it would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. Riding was awesome, great last ride!! I saw a Cougar in Teviola on trail 3 north of the BP, SWEET!!

Mike

G

G

Actually this is your most important heat exchanger. Studs are its worst enemy. You are not the first or the last this will happen to. It needs to be fixed. If it is not too bad it can be welded in place. If it is really torn up it needs to be replaced. If it needs to be replaced be thankful you have the whole summer to do it. You have to take the whole sled apart to do it. If I were you I would put a new track on it at that time. More studs might come out of your old track and do the same thing. However, you would be getting good at fixing by that time.

indy_500

I had mine welded back up in place. Happened to a 99 xc 700 and 99 xc sp 700 with 4600 miles and 4800 miles........ :mad:

ezra

1st pull the skid and track fill with watter hook up air comp to hose to presure test and see just how many holes you have.if less than a hand full get it welded and never worry about it again

whitedust

Actually this is your most important heat exchanger. Studs are its worst enemy. You are not the first or the last this will happen to. It needs to be fixed. If it is not too bad it can be welded in place. If it is really torn up it needs to be replaced. If it needs to be replaced be thankful you have the whole summer to do it. You have to take the whole sled apart to do it. If I were you I would put a new track on it at that time. More studs might come out of your old track and do the same thing. However, you would be getting good at fixing by that time.

X2 Weld or replace have to have front heat exchanger no option to by pass.