Yamicats

dieselguymike

Father in law rented a 14 viper with 4500 miles last weekend and the chaincase broke 30 miles into our ride. My mother rented one last season, she liked it compared to her vector. I ride a ski-doo 1200 and it doesnt compare IMO.

My friend has a 137" ltx se and isn't happy with it. Says it doesn't handle well on trail and is a disaster off trail. He just bought a 2015 cat cross country 600 with a 141" track and loves it. Off trail it's great and handles excellent on. He loves the new cat 600. You would think these sleds being so similar would be comparable. He is planning on selling the yamacat.

polarisrider1

I'm currently looking for a trail sled. Love the look of the yamacats, especially the colors. I have never rode one. I'm not riding much anymore in Michigan. The Rmk is not a trail sled. Looking for a switchback type sled. Had a Renegade in 06 and loved it. I was thinking 4 stroke reliability because of the high mileage riding in Canada I would "ring out" a 2 stroker in 2-3 years.

garyl62

I put about 30 trail miles on a Viper rental Chad has at M&M and really liked it. Never really got to put it through some narrower "twisty" (as twisty as the trails are around Houghton/Hancock) trails but it went down the trail well and handled the sweeping turns great. It felt great cruising. Last weekend a buddy rented a 600XF from Chad and that handled about the same, but we were all surprised at the power it had. Really responded well and he felt like it was faster than his f7. Chad says the 600's are not moving nearly as much as the 4 strokers or the 800's. Even though the 600 is a great motor it's an ego thing and guys aren't buying them. I'm thinking of something new a year or two from now and I'm leaning toward the AC 7000 XF. I figure I'll have it for a while and might regret not having the 4 stroke a few years from now when most of the trail sleds will be 4's.

whitedust

I'm currently looking for a trail sled. Love the look of the yamacats, especially the colors. I have never rode one. I'm not riding much anymore in Michigan. The Rmk is not a trail sled. Looking for a switchback type sled. Had a Renegade in 06 and loved it. I was thinking 4 stroke reliability because of the high mileage riding in Canada I would "ring out" a 2 stroker in 2-3 years.

Buddy bought a 2015 Viper deluxe & I put some miles on it. It did hit me from the side with snow chunks & he warned me about that not a big deal but never happened on other sleds. I ride an Apex XTX & Viper no Apex power or ride wise but not supposed to be either. Nothing like a Vector or Apex with eps the eps is the real deal for 4s any brand. Viper looks very hot so get what you like about the styling. Best advise is to test ride a Vector,Apex both with eps then give the Viper a try. Doos 4s right in there too if you can ride yellow & if Yamaha went away I probably would buy Gade but want more than 1200 135 HP maybe will have more hp in 2016. So all 4s out there are pretty darn good but Yamaha only one with power steering & once you go eps difficlut to give up.

G

G

I think it depends a lot on what you are used to riding. The Apex guys will always find the Viper lacking in the motor department. The Arctic guys don't like the extra weight up front. The Viper is supposed to be a trail cruiser above all else. But so is the Vector. Now you have Pol getting back into the mix with the AXYS. And 'Doo still sells more sleds than anybody else. If it were me I would try to ride each of them about 50 miles and then make my choice from there. Lots of good stuff out there.

timo

if you're looking for a trail sled you can find 10 other trial sleds better than the yamicat.
my buddy has a 14 yamicat and a 14 renegade. he never rides the yamicat. hasn't ridden it this year. he bought the doo a month after the yamicatt cuzz he hated the yamicat and he's been a artic cat guy all his life, that's all him and his kids have ever owned. they prolly had 7 arctic cat's in his pole barn at on time.
i finally got his butt on a skid doo after 10 years of prodding and now he won't get off his doo. i rode it for about 25 miles last year and compared to riding my 2013 doo it is like driving a fork lift thru the woods.
i do like the looks of it and the four banger does have an addicting throaty sound to it but for sheer comfort and trial riding it's not even in a class with the renegade.
if you really want a four stroke i would advise you test out a 1200 renegade.

switch07

I have two new 15 LTX DX's and absolutely love them. I have 2700 miles on mine and the wife has about 1000. No problems at all. I love the corner to corner response of the 4st. It is not a top speed demon, but then it's not designed for that. Wife and I both come off Poo Rushes, Adventure for me and LX for her. I'll never go back to a 2st again. In fact I was a bit worried about the extra weight for the wife, but these sleds are so well balanced there has been no problem steering for her at all. She has told me several times, "if I new this sled was this nice I would have told you to get rid of my Rush years ago". I told her "honey they just started making them", lol. To me it's a no brainer, great ride, great styling, great motor, and 87 octane, and no carrying oil on our saddlebagging trips.....plus a happy wife means a happy life for me.

Last edited:

groomerdriver

I think it depends a lot on what you are used to riding. The Apex guys will always find the Viper lacking in the motor department. The Arctic guys don't like the extra weight up front. The Viper is supposed to be a trail cruiser above all else. But so is the Vector. Now you have Pol getting back into the mix with the AXYS. And 'Doo still sells more sleds than anybody else. If it were me I would try to ride each of them about 50 miles and then make my choice from there. Lots of good stuff out there.

Well said grub. How about renting the sleds that you're interested in for a day? Maybe the setups won't be anywhere near spot on but at least it'll give you a good idea of what it feels like? Couple of buds have gone this route and were happy they did.

jasonv

just traded my 2015 mtx 153 for a Summit 146" because I could not stan all of the things wrong with the Yamicat. Looking at the 2016 information just out perhaps they fixed many of the problems. I have never been so disappointed in all of the 10 plus new yamahas that I have purchased. It really stinks to lose the 4K on that sled in 400 miles but I am glad it is gone. I will never buy anything Yamaha again. They could have kept me as a customer by admitting the flaws and providing updates to the 2016 specs. **** I would have even paid somthing for that if I would have know it was going to change. I am very happy with my new Summit and will not look back. This is just a warning for anyone considering a 2015 MTX. Avoid it at all costs!

Last edited:

polarisrider1

just traded my 2015 mtx 153 for a Summit 146" because I could not stan all of the things wrong with the Yamicat. Looking at the 2016 information just out perhaps they fixed many of the problems. I have never been so disappointed in all of the 10 plus new yamahas that I have purchased. It really stinks to lose the 4K on that sled in 400 miles but I am glad it is gone. I will never buy anything Yamaha again. They could have kept me as a customer by admitting the flaws and providing updates to the 2016 specs. **** I would have even paid somthing for that if I would have know it was going to change. I am very happy with my new Summit and will not look back. This is just a warning for anyone considering a 2015 MTX. Avoid it at all costs!

Thank you. I had 2 dealers tell me the same. So still looking for a switchback/renegade style sled.

old abe

If you liked your 06 Rene, you will be very pleased with "XS" chassis Rene. I have 05, 07, and 14 much more comfortable.

harvest1121

I just picked up a 2015 Viper LTX was coming from a Nytro. The steering on the viper is light compared to the nytro. It does not have a good top end but is good to about 75. I do have the 1.75 track that I did not know for trail riding but really likes it. It does not feel heavy on the trail for me and a 5 year warranty is hard to beat on any brand. I have no regrets about buying one. My next choice would be the skidoo 900 do not really care about all the top end 80 is good for me. I did put 800 miles on in 2.5 days and no regrets.

old abe

Polarisrider1, I also thought there would be much more feed back as to the YamiCat sleds, AC or Yami branded. The lack of info last year was really puzzling?

Hoosier

That's the mountain version right? I guess obviously if its the 153

ezra

Polarisrider1, I also thought there would be much more feed back as to the YamiCat sleds, AC or Yami branded. The lack of info last year was really puzzling?
for the most part on the net u only get bad first hand .

polarisrider1

I kinda been waiting for Ezra and his unbiased opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Heading to Peacock Ltd. to see what they are still setting on. Maybe a deal is in store. Thanks everyone for remaining civil on this topic.

D

Deleted member 10829

Hey, ezra is bleeding both green and yellow now. What color do you get when you combine the two? Blue. Could Yamaha be next? ;)

ezra

Hey, ezra is bleeding both green and yellow now. What color do you get when you combine the two? Blue. Could Yamaha be next? ;)

I have owned more yamahas in my life than any other brand. just could never get in to the 3/4 ton sled niche