Your 1st & 2nd Sled? Age & Area

Magnumb

1st.
1980 Scorpion Whip 440

Rode it when I was 10 years old in 1992 around Grand Haven, MI.

My father bought 15 new Scorpions to rent out in the Land O' Lakes area. It never turned a profit and sold all but 2 shortly after.

2nd.
1990 Polaris Indy Classic
Put many miles on this sled around the Land O Lakes area and on the Gateway golf course. Lots of bunker jumping....

Current- 2010 Renegade 800. Land O Lakes, WI, Bergland, MI, Munising, MI and anywhere there's snow in Southern WI.

Last edited:

t_man

1st - 1971 Arctic Cat Kitty Cat
It arrived that Christmas. I was 5 that year and rode it around our lake cabin property in Emily, MN. We still have it and both of my sons learned to ride on it.

2nd - 1970 something Arctic Cat Trail Cat
This was actually a pre-production test sled that my grandfather got from the factory. Rode it around the Emily, MN area after I outgrew the Kitty Cat.

Current - 2009 Ski-Doo TNT 600 carb
Ride anywhere the snow flies in the Midwest! Live in Cincinnati and have ridden it in Ohio, Michigan (upper & lower), Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Iowarider

1978 ss340 Polaris bought new. #2 was 1980 John Deere 340 Trailfire. Now I am on 2012 Polaris Switchback Assault 800. Things have really change since 1978.

600_RMK_144

1st= See screen name. It's a 2008.

2nd= ???

Current= Same as above.

Drove all the way up to Duluth, MN to pick up my first and only. Have ridden many of the father-in-laws he was kind enough to keep on hand --- Lots of old Indy 500's. It was a special day when I was finally able to get my own and can now ride on MY terms and go where I wanted too.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, just realized this thread is making me look my age.

1rst Sled was a 69 Panther delivered on Christmas Eve.

2nd Sled was a 71 Olympic which became my sled during the High School years.

The Panther was slow but stable, a good machine to learn on. The Olympic vibrated so bad that it shook itself apart after just two seasons.

lotoftoys

First ride was a 1974 Chaparral Firebird 400. Bright red with boggies. Wish I still had it. Moved into cats but last year picked up an 08 Vector and love it. Ride right from the house here or Vilas county mostly. Let it snow!

1971 Chaparral Executive 399 cc

1974 Chaparral Thunderbird 440 cc

These were our family sleds, rode mainly around Chilton, Calumet County. Rode passenger many many times behind my Dad, usually to a few local watering holes around Chilton. 'Jack's' Old Mill (Hayton), The Hadi Club, Eagles Club, Ramy Dorn's Bar (Charlesburg) and a few trips down to Lake Winnebago to visit the Buccaneer Lodge in Brothertown. A soda pop, beef jerky and a few dimes for the pinball game kept me out of Dad's hid for a little while.

The 71' met it's demise when my brother played chicken with a fence post and lost. The 74' hit an unmarked sturgeon hole on Lake Winnebago and was never the same after that. The final straw was when Dad was taking the 74' out for a test ride after he 'fixed' it. Throttle stuck wide open, Dad dove off, sled set a world record for number of flips. Ride for a day, fix for a week as Dad would always say... gotta love them Chaparral's.

Good days for sure! Here I am reminiscing again, gotta quit this stuff, feeling old.

HH

ezra

1st= See screen name. It's a 2008.

2nd= ???

Current= Same as above.

Drove all the way up to Duluth, MN to pick up my first and only. Have ridden many of the father-in-laws he was kind enough to keep on hand --- Lots of old Indy 500's. It was a special day when I was finally able to get my own and can now ride on MY terms and go where I wanted too.
well as long as u get the permission slip signed from the wife that is

rv245

First sled was a 67 Silverline T-Bird (Yukon King was the manufaturer, but rebadged) that my dad bought during the great blizzard of 67. The sled was a tank, had a 10hp JLO motor with a steel cable recoiler that always broke. Changing the headlight bulb was a good hour or two and you need 2 people to do it. Learned to ride sleds on it and have never looked back.

Second sled was a 71 Ski-Doo Elan. I saved my paper route money for what seemed like ages to buy it. In all honesty it was probably my most favorite sled. Light, not so quick, but just an all around great sled. Other than a few broken bogie spring, it never gave be any problems. Rode the **** out of it

ezra

71 kitty cat when I was 3
had a very large drive that went around the shop at the cabin in Becker MN.
gramps would fire up the tractor block off the road with snow and I would do laps until it ran out of gas.
at 4 they would take me to the oval races that some in my family were racing. I had to ell them I was 5 and raced most notable was the MN state fair grandstand yep won it at 4 .
at 5 I got a 1972 292 lynx road that thing all around the cabin/old farm in Becker.
between all the family think there was like 380 acres .between the sleds and atc110 think I road it all and a lot of trespassing on neighbors lol.
at 9 I got a 440 puma
at 11 brand new blue enticer 300 oooh she was sweet. they let me ride it from moon motors in Monticello back to the cabin by my self . it had just dumped hard the night before.
huge drifts across all the potato fields got in a bit of trouble when I got home. took a few extra hours to get back with all those drifts I had to keep turning around to hit again and again lol

600_RMK_144

well as long as u get the permission slip signed from the wife that is

True. But I told her when I got it that I wasn't gonna be one of those dudes that buys it with 700 miles and sells it 3 yrs later with 800 (It's got 1600 now). She's been pretty good about it so far. Lots of watching the kids before the holiday's so she can do her thing, but come Jan 1, she knows the drill.

J.Glenn

1st Sled(s) - 1975 John Deere 800 & 1980 John Deere Trailfire 440 - rode the parents sleds, I was around 7 or 8.
2nd Sled(s) - 1980 Arctic Cat Pantera & Panther - also parents sleds when I was around 11-12.
3rd Sled - 1998 Polaris XC 600 - bought during my last semester of college at 23.
4th Sled - 2006 Polaris 900 Fusion - bought after starting my job fulltime out of college 25.
Current Sled - 2013 Polaris Indy 600SP - bought about a year and a half ago. Ride Northern Illinois, Wisconsin, & the UP.

paulk

1st Evinrude bobcat not sure on the year.
2nd Rupp 295 sport
Current 2015 800 Renegade and I am just like that kid that was so excide about the Rupp and Evinrude. Can't wait for snow!

eagle1

I never grew up with sleds. My old man was into hunting and fishing. So always would see sleds buzzing around lake, looked like fun.
Once I started working and saving I would always would pick up race n rally magazine dreaming of getting a sled.
In December of '96 at age 22 I walked in dealer bought '97 polaris ultra sp, 8x10 trailer, and all the gear!! Loved every minute since!

D

Deleted member 10829

1st sled - 1974 Polaris TX250, bought new when I was 12

2nd sled 1976 Polaris TX250. Very sharp sled for it's time and for a 250, it really moved!

I rode these around my hometown of Luverne, MN in ditches and on the Rock River. No trail system down there back then. During big snow storms, and it seemed like we had lots back then, we would tear up the streets in town as no one would be out. We also would put skis on and pull each other behind the sleds. So many great memories!

I bought my first sled at age 29 and have purchased 15 new sleds since then.

Current sleds - 2014 Indy 600 SP and 2015 AXYS 600 Switchback Pro S

byrn71

1st sled - john Deere jdx6 don't remember yr. age 6 SW Wisconsin
2nd sled - polaris 340 1970ish I think age 12 SW Wisconsin
Current - 2015 Pro RMK 800 SW Wisconsin

polaris2

1st 1970 Rupp Sprint 29 Didn't no much about sleds and it was pretty much worn out when I bought it.

2nd 1973 Rupp American 440 Took no chances bought this one new.

indy_500

1st 93 Polaris Indy trail rode it till I hit 8500 miles and snapped the rear torque arm in half. 2nd was a 99 Indy 500 rode it till 8500 miles also till I took out a crank bearing. Both sleds were rode around central wi.

Current sled 15 Polaris RMK 800 155" only ride between mass city and Houghton these days.