2008 polaris shift 550 or 600

mustsled2

I'm going to look at these leftovers saturday. The sled is going to be for my wife.I was just wondering if there was any recalls or issues with the 2008's. Any help would be great. Thanks

indy_500

go 600. 550 fan engines are slow (yea yea u might not need fast but these are very very very slow) and they're less reliable. the 600 engine is 10 times better

polarisrider1

indy 500, knows his stuff. 550 is a gas guzzling, under powered, fan cooled, low resale sled. Pure dud. Go with the 600. It is very dependable. The 550 probable has the edge chassis, which I love, but............the motor. Best comparision I can come up with: Chevy 305 (SLUG)or Chevy 350? 350 everytime.

D

Deleted member 10829

Plus there will be times when you will end up riding it and do you want 70HP or 120HP? Go with the 600 for sure, you will more than get the extra you pay back when you sell it.

bellracing2

I was in the same boat and the difference in price for me was 700 bucks , so the 600 was a no brainer ! awesome sled

oldguy

I agree also with everybody. I have a 2008 600 Shift, no recalls and no problems. The 2008 Shift unfortunately does not come with a thumb warmer or decent gas gauge. The 2009 Shifts do.

coldsmokejr

I've got a 2009 550 shift for the wife, and anybody that says its slow, or its a "dud" doesnt know <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>! This thing is a great riding sled, plenty of jam, and not terrible on gas. Its not gonna set any speed records, but on GPS, it'll run about 84 with my fat <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> on it.The new clutch and pipe setup works great, it's a riot through the woods.

indy_500

i got a 550 fan cooled sled. blew up at 100 miles. runs about 65 mph. biggest gas guzzler my dads ever owned. just go on powersportsnetwork.com and start reading some reviews on the 550 motor. the sled rides great. it's an 01 sport touring 550. rides great..would ride 10 times better with a different motor

polarisrider1

It looks like coldsmokejr's wife reads JD posts. Indy 500, I do have a hard time saying bad about Polaris but If it is due them it will be discussed here. No bashing, but the 550 is not something they are proud of producing. It is a price point sled. They also had a 500 liquid cooled fugi (subaru heavy industries) motor sled for 20+ yrs. (great price point) that was the top dog motor for yrs. My kids had a 440 fugi fan that sipped gas and was way faster and more dependable than any 550 my relatives owned. Oh I forgot to mention that on my wifes side there are 17 Polaris sleds, 2 doos and 4 Yamahas and on my side there are 27 polaris sleds from 1972 to current. I can list the duds. Cat I have no clue. M8 is in my vocabilary as an ultimate mtn. sled.

coldsmokejr

Took your advice and check out the website, everyone has good things to say about the sled. This isnt the same motor as your dads sport, it got the Team roller secondary, a pipe upgrade, and bigger carbs, its by no means (powerwise) the 600 liquid, but all around, great sled! Light, quick (for a fan) and ALL day comfort. I did add shaper bars, and rear outside wheels.

einne

step bac couple more years. i got a 06 supersport 550. my son and daughter rode it. had the best of times on it. even had son on it up north with the big boys, and had no problem staying around with us. put sister-inlaw on it, and happy camper. no it aint a 600 liquid, but sure holds it own. very dependable sled. no problems what so ever with it. guess it depends what you want out of your sled.

uncle_ed

The fan cooled is going to be a lighter sled than the liquid so easier to move around and handle. They love cold weather though and are more apt to foul plugs as it warms above 30. Liquid cooled machines are more stable in a wider range of temperatures and can handle the warmer days better.

mustsled2

Well, I just got home after driving 180 miles one way. The dealer called me on thurs. made sure I was coming on sat,which i told him I was.I was there for thirty minutes.He sold the sleds I was coming to buy. He then tried to sell me something I did not want. His reason for not calling me was he figured I would pick a different pair of sleds. What a joke. Okay I'm done know!

ezra

hear kitty kitty kitty.what a bunch of bullshipt I would have lost it on that ahole he would have had storys to tell for years about the ahole that that scared all the customers out of his store.fyi the 570 is a great fan as long as you warm it up but it is a guzzler.I had a 1m570 for the wife and back up great sled also had a o4z570 was able to get good money on resale compared to what I payed.the 04 was 3750 out the door sold with close to 2000 on it for 2300.both 570s guys bought for thear kid or wife and knew after looking around my shop it was deff a wiffes sled and made him feel good.alot of guys want good used low powerd sleds for thear teens thay know a boy will go as fast as his sled will go and olny a ship for brains buys his kid a 800

mustsled2

I was not happy to say the least. Now back to the drawing board. I'm ready to pull the triger and buy a sled for the wife. IF the price is right I'm considering upgrading myself. The search is on. Does anyone know if any dealers will have any sleds at the milwaukee show?

booondocker

The mentality of the masses, is more horsepower equals more fun. Never mind it cost more, weighs more, sucks more juice, and is more expensive to fix.

Let me just say that I had a friend drive a skiddoodler 550 fan for 3 years and it never fouled a plug, used about the same gas as any of the 4 strokes save for my 660 cats which nothing touches, and had no problems keeping up, or leading and went over deep snow very well and carved with this lard ask, in excess of 300 lbs, just dandy.

It opened my eyes to a fan 550 sled. My onlyest complaint was at start up the thing smoked and took 5 years off my life in the trailer. Otherwise it was a fine sled, light to move around is great for someone who doesn't need to do lake racing or simply doesn't want to sink enough money to buy a house, in a sled.

I wish you would POST who the bone head was that did the "sold it yesterday" thing on you...so you can save others on here from being fried to a crisp.

mustsled2

I would love to post the dealer and the salesman,but I don't want to break any of the rules.If there are no rules regarding this type of situation then let me know and the cat will be thrown out of the bag!