2013 Boating Season

mezz

That is absolutely gorgeous! I'll bet she sounds sweet. I know a gentleman who owns a '53 CC Sportsman. Is this one triple carbonated as well? Nonetheless, very nice.-Mezz

miked

Some pics from the summer....

At The Landings in Ironton, MI, rafted off our friends Black Thunder
Wife at the wheel heading for downtown Chicago
Pic of the truck and trailer
Rafted off with a bunch of friends in Saugatuck

Attachments

• landings2.jpg
    landings2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 55
  • michelle2.jpg
    michelle2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 70
  • RIG1.jpg
    RIG1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 61
  • saugatuck.jpg
    saugatuck.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 59

nytro_rtx

Mezz thank you!! It only has a straight six in it but it does sound good, has a nice deep tone to it. I'm not sure what triple carbonated means so I'm not sure.

polarisrider1

Just add a camera and you have your own drone! Lol

That would be fun...but.... Marina rules state no fun. They made a guy stop running his near the other boats, guess they were worried about a crash into someone elses boat. darn party poopers. So following week he showed up with a gas powered remote controlled boat that ripped around, it was about 3 feet long. they said no to that because of the disturbing noise. (the old folk like to read in peace on the backs of their boats).

miked

Can't believe its the end of the season already! I have hit 6 states this year...Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, and last weekend was up in Racine, WI and then Milwaukee (ran the boat up through 4 footers and a nasty fog). Scheduled to go for number 7 in two weekends...Put-In-Bay in Ohio. Then, a couple months to rest the wallet before snowmobile season!

polarisrider1

Season is winding down. Boat comes out around Oct.15. Shopped storage today. Boat has never spent winter in the same place twice. All about the low $$$ for indoor heated storage. This year it goes to Spring Lake.
As a boater we tend to be a bit anal about maintainence. Amsoil for the motors, gas line filters, impellers, plugs and wires, bottom paint touch up,new memory foam mattress, new camper top, carpet out and teak floors in and have a guy detail it the outside for me, all on my list of to do things for the boat. There goes a 2014 RMK Pro out the door for someone else this year.

Better yet..........Boat for sale!! all offers accepted!

Last edited:

eagle1

Deal. I'll trade ya my Yamaha sled for your boat.lol
Probably another ten days before I pull the plug and concentrait on bow hunting and getting the sled ready.
Thought about going bigger boat wise. Seen some nice boats on craigslist. But kinda like sledding, too short of season for that much coin.

- - - Updated - - -

Fatal accident on Cumberland.
http://mylaketv.com/news/entry/two-...-the-12th-annual-poker-run-on-lake-cumberland

[video]http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqITC.y1S3iwAmcH7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBzOG gyNGpnBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMTU-?p=lake+cumberland+poker+run+2013&vid=452b99f164337a65a6135ff4c7268dfd&l=00%3A09&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVJ.3 44043291310%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dbr BTPnREiKA&breast=2013+Lake+Cumberland+Poker+Run+Wreck&c=14&sigr=11a2si5n8&age=0&fr=onesearch&tt=b[/video]

miked

Deal. I'll trade ya my Yamaha sled for your boat.lol
Probably another ten days before I pull the plug and concentrait on bow hunting and getting the sled ready.
Thought about going bigger boat wise. Seen some nice boats on craigslist. But kinda like sledding, too short of season for that much coin.

- - - Updated - - -

Fatal accident on Cumberland.
http://mylaketv.com/news/entry/two-...-the-12th-annual-poker-run-on-lake-cumberland

[video]http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqITC.y1S3iwAmcH7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBzOG gyNGpnBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMTU-?p=lake+cumberland+poker+run+2013&vid=452b99f164337a65a6135ff4c7268dfd&l=00%3A09&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVJ.3 44043291310%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dbr BTPnREiKA&breast=2013+Lake+Cumberland+Poker+Run+Wreck&c=14&sigr=11a2si5n8&age=0&fr=onesearch&tt=b[/video]

I've done the Cumberland Poker Run twice...both times on friend's boats, and both times on boats that ran "only" 85 mph. The offshore boat forums are going nuts about this incident...2nd and 3rd deaths in this run...another guy I knew died in 2009. A buddy of mine was running about 140 in a 33 Skater, and said the two boats that were out front were running away from him. The lead boat was Pure Platinum, a 388 Skater that runs up into the 190s, the boat that flipped was a 40 Skater powered by twin 1700 hp turbocharged motors. Tragic.

polarisrider1

Went and setup winter storage today. Love to barter.
Anyways, never bring the war dept. along, she found a 35 Bertram That she really likes, fly bridge. downriggers, dual stations, generator. Great boat for a Looper. She wants to do the great loop. This will take about a year to do. (it is on the bucket list).

polarisrider1

Boats still in the water. Season ends for me on Oct. 21. Today is my last day as Commodore of the Riviera Yacht club, I served 4 years on the bridge and the board one year. Worse part of this is I have to give an exit speech tonight. Hope all who boat had a great season!

polarisrider1

What a lousy couple days with the boat. Boat store jockey sold me the wrong oil filters. Trying K&N filters, he sold me two 3002's and I needed two 2002's. Suspect a valving issue as both motors shut down and the computer said low oil preasure. The jockey gave me the correct filters and 3 more quarts of Valvoline Synthetic. When the motors shut down the starboard engine backfired when it stalled. I went and changed filters. Fired up the boat and the port engine ran perfect and the starboard started SQUEALING real loud. engine was running but the serpentine belt was not moving. After some investigation I found that the backfire made the engine go in reverse just a bit as it stalled and that took out my impeller in the water pump. I have a V-drive so boat can stay in water to repair. Impellers should be changed every 3 years. mine are 4 years old. I do know how to do it myself but do not have the time or desire. $380 per motor (X2). And the filter jockey and the store he works for "walks" since they claim my impellers are past stated wear period by Mercruiser. The. 1st impellers went I changed were 8 years old and in good shape when I changed them. I got the Marina mechanics on it. BOAT= Bring On Another Thousand.

ezra

well yanking the chris on sat .
sad but did not burn a whole tank this yr.
'spent more time getting ready for water buffing and maintenance dock etc than actually driving the dam thing.
now comes a full sat part of Sunday prepping for storage and yanking dock.
I am so over it !

miked

What a lousy couple days with the boat. Boat store jockey sold me the wrong oil filters. Trying K&N filters, he sold me two 3002's and I needed two 2002's. Suspect a valving issue as both motors shut down and the computer said low oil preasure. The jockey gave me the correct filters and 3 more quarts of Valvoline Synthetic. When the motors shut down the starboard engine backfired when it stalled. I went and changed filters. Fired up the boat and the port engine ran perfect and the starboard started SQUEALING real loud. engine was running but the serpentine belt was not moving. After some investigation I found that the backfire made the engine go in reverse just a bit as it stalled and that took out my impeller in the water pump. I have a V-drive so boat can stay in water to repair. Impellers should be changed every 3 years. mine are 4 years old. I do know how to do it myself but do not have the time or desire. $380 per motor (X2). And the filter jockey and the store he works for "walks" since they claim my impellers are past stated wear period by Mercruiser. The. 1st impellers went I changed were 8 years old and in good shape when I changed them. I got the Marina mechanics on it. BOAT= Bring On Another Thousand.

Ain't it fun how one tiny little issue can turn into a chitstorm!

Two years ago, I just had my 502s rebuilt into 540s in my Fountain. I was pushing it pretty hard on the way to the beach, when I had a backfire in the port motor. My wife was sitting in the back seat just in front it, thought she was gonna jump in the water at 80+. Well, got to the beach, checked plugs, found a dry one, switched it out, and called it good. From that point on, I couldn't get that motor to start well. Turns out I popped a coil... Went digging further...found the MSD box had grounded out to its mounting plate...went digging further...and found that it was likely caused by a loose battery cable. Well, with all the cranking I was doing trying to get the damn motor to start, I fried the starter! Put a new starter on, and had to reset the timing. I called my engine builder and got the spec, then my bud and I reset the timing and locked it down. Hit the lake again...had same issues with starting, and the motor still just didn't sound right. Took it back to the engine builder, he checked timing first and said "What the heck were you guys thinking? The timing is way advanced?" I said we set it right where you told us...at 23.5 degrees at 2000 rpm. Color drained out of his face and he said he sets timing at 4000 rpm. Oh crap. Pulled the heads...bent valves all the way around. Ended up costing me well over $5k in parts and labor. For a loose wire. FML.