2024 Yamaha.Is it going to happen?

dfattack

My same reaction lots of money spent there but it that’s what you want then go get it. Me I like making pure stock work no matter the brand for my 76 year old body.
John Sherrard is the guy who sets up my sleds. He is a great guy and knows his stuff. It does make a difference for those who put on big miles each year in order to see the benefit/payback. I understand if you don't ride as much anymore it may not be worth it to some.

whitedust

John Sherrard is the guy who sets up my sleds. He is a great guy and knows his stuff. It does make a difference for those who put on big miles each year in order to see the benefit/payback. I understand if you don't ride as much anymore it may not be worth it to some.
For the most part your Mach is stock you didn't chip your engine change all your stock shocks to something else. I think you changed 1 shock the rest are stock. You made stock work for you just had it professionally set up. Most can’t load up sleds and go to Canada for professional set up have to work with US dealers to set up. Stock worked for the most part in your case professionally set up.

dfattack

For the most part your Mach is stock you didn't chip your engine change all your stock shocks to something else. I think you changed 1 shock the rest are stock. You made stock work for you just had it professionally set up. Most can’t load up sleds and go to Canada for professional set up have to work with US dealers to set up. Stock worked for the most part in your case professionally set up.
Not claiming that I did change from stock on the mach. Although I did change the grand touring. All that's left is the air shock. Just wanted to give John a positive comment. How one sets up their sled is up to them and what's important or not important might be different for some people. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.

snobuilder

You Doo guys are spending many dollars beyond the price of sled to get a good ride. The Yamaha cats don't need that extra money investment.

whitedust

You Doo guys are spending many dollars beyond the price of sled to get a good ride. The Yamaha cats don't need that extra money investment.
No way my 900t enduro is bone shock bumper to bumper. Including my new O2 helmet but bought new FXR jacket. Doo does an excellent job of offering accessories including risers and linq accessories. I did add woodys navigators for $50 from doo dealer. Doo dealers know what you want usually have in stock no need to go to aftermarket for anything. Not like Yamaha where there are separate aftermarket suppliers to correct engineering design problems like Travis at BOP or the many donut solution houses.

SledTL

I have to disagree with this.....10+ years and still spinning driveshaft bearings on shaft. Top gear in chain case go boom. I love my Yamaha but can't deny it has aftermarket support to keep it reliable.

dfattack

I have to disagree with this.....10+ years and still spinning driveshaft bearings on shaft. Top gear in chain case go boom. I love my Yamaha but can't deny it has aftermarket support to keep it reliable.
I'm not sure if this is true but aren't those parts from Cat and not Yamaha? I had a 2015 Viper and hated it. Chain case leaked every year and finally crapped out on the trail. Had to tow it home. I decided at that moment I'm done with Yamicat. I had been a yamaha guy since 1983. I still dream of a new pure bred yamaha but until that happens, if ever, I like my doo

old abe

I'm not sure if this is true but aren't those parts from Cat and not Yamaha? I had a 2015 Viper and hated it. Chain case leaked every year and finally crapped out on the trail. Had to tow it home. I decided at that moment I'm done with Yamicat. I had been a yamaha guy since 1983. I still dream of a new pure bred yamaha but until that happens, if ever, I like my doo
Sadly, that's wishful thinking on your part dfattack. "Pure bred Yamaha"? Yeah well, I gave up on those lies from Yamaha some11 years ago. I too believed in the "All new, all Yamaha snowmobile". I finally realized it was not to be, and never was to be. However, the only "Pure", was, "Pure BS", that's all it was.

whitedust

Here’s the problem Yamaha branded sled purchased new from Yamaha dealer. I’m not sure if Cat dealer can sell parts for Yamaha usually have to deal with appropriate OEM dealer but nothing usual regarding this arrangement. Our problem is we divorced Yamaha still love them but moved on to our new girl Skidoo.

swampcat

My same reaction lots of money spent there but it that’s what you want then go get it. Me I like making pure stock work no matter the brand for my 76 year old body.
I can vouch for this guy, he rides like hes 16. Miss ridin with Ya Pete. Too bad you have to travel so far now.

whitedust

I can vouch for this guy, he rides like hes 16. Miss ridin with Ya Pete. Too bad you have to travel so far now.
Basing out of Watersmeet now for a week at a time. I’ll let you know next planned trip. Ken moved to IL so he’s gone too. I made some good friends down here actually more guys looking for riding buds down here than Vilas. Lol

snoden

How one sets up their sled is up to them and what's important or not important might be different for some people. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.
Exactly dfattack. With my SRX it was very good stock, I felt it could be better as I was looking for awesome. A few years ago I found John Sherrard and with his help I now have awesome. I did not take my sleds to John, I learned from John through conversation. I do all the work myself. Same for the flash, does a sidewinder need it? Nope, they are very fast stock. I did it because I was looking for awesome. Sure, I spent some money, but I enjoy every second I get riding such an awesome machine.

dfattack

Exactly dfattack. With my SRX it was very good stock, I felt it could be better as I was looking for awesome. A few years ago I found John Sherrard and with his help I now have awesome. I did not take my sleds to John, I learned from John through conversation. I do all the work myself. Same for the flash, does a sidewinder need it? Nope, they are very fast stock. I did it because I was looking for awesome. Sure, I spent some money, but I enjoy every second I get riding such an awesome machine.
It’s easy for me to go to him since my wife’s family lives about an hour and a half from John’s shop so whoever we go visit the family I take a day and bring the sleds to him. It’s amazing how much better a sled can be from
Stock. Completely transformed my 2012 apex XTX. I was sold after that. Now I bring every sled to him that I buy new. Again, because I can. Understand it’s not realistic for some and others such as yourself have enough knowledge to watch his videos and yes he does phone consultations too

snoden

It’s amazing how much better a sled can be from
Stock.
So true and with very little investment. One can go from good to very good with just some knowledge on how to set up a sled correctly or go all out and transform a sled with a very good shock package into awesome. I will say once you drink the cool aid you will never go back to riding stock. Curious dfattack have you had John set up the Mach with the smart shock package yet?

dfattack

So true and with very little investment. One can go from good to very good with just some knowledge on how to set up a sled correctly or go all out and transform a sled with a very good shock package into awesome. I will say once you drink the cool aid you will never go back to riding stock. Curious dfattack have you had John set up the Mach with the smart shock package yet?
Yes I did. He changed limiter strap to his after market model that allows him to set it to a more precise setting rather than rely on the holes. Changed the rear springs to a heavier set. Stock sag was over 8”. His meter didn’t go over 8” so not sure exactly what it was. Now it’s 2.5”. I don’t have the sheet on me that he provides after making all the changes but I can check and get back to you. He may have changed the center shock to a stage 2 elka. I know he did that on my grand touring but not sure on the Mach. Center shock isn’t a smart shock I don’t think.

snoden

Yes I did. He changed limiter strap to his after market model that allows him to set it to a more precise setting rather than rely on the holes. Changed the rear springs to a heavier set. Stock sag was over 8”. His meter didn’t go over 8” so not sure exactly what it was. Now it’s 2.5”. I don’t have the sheet on me that he provides after making all the changes but I can check and get back to you. He may have changed the center shock to a stage 2 elka. I know he did that on my grand touring but not sure on the Mach. Center shock isn’t a smart shock I don’t think.
Nice, I remember John telling me about how soft Doo torsions springs are stock. The funny thing is most think by putting in the correct (heavier rate) torsion springs will compromise the quality of the ride. It does the exact opposite, puts the rider in the top 1/3 of suspension travel for a smooth comfortable ride with the bottom 2/3 for stutters and big bump protection. I think your right about the center shock not being a smart shock and the way he likes to set up the center shock by getting it out of the way and soft, add the trac link adjustable limiter strap pulling the front skid up a lot from stock setting and the sled is now in control of the skis. Well you know I'm not telling you anything new. I know this I would love to swap sleds with you for a ride, 1) I would like to check out those smart shocks and 2) I wouldn't do it with just anyone, sled has to be set up properly for me to want to swap.

ddhanna

Nice, I remember John telling me about how soft Doo torsions springs are stock. The funny thing is most think by putting in the correct (heavier rate) torsion springs will compromise the quality of the ride. It does the exact opposite, puts the rider in the top 1/3 of suspension travel for a smooth comfortable ride with the bottom 2/3 for stutters and big bump protection. I think your right about the center shock not being a smart shock and the way he likes to set up the center shock by getting it out of the way and soft, add the trac link adjustable limiter strap pulling the front skid up a lot from stock setting and the sled is now in control of the skis. Well you know I'm not telling you anything new. I know this I would love to swap sleds with you for a ride, 1) I would like to check out those smart shocks and 2) I wouldn't do it with just anyone, sled has to be set up properly for me to want to swap.
As those of us who have been setting up their own sleds for 50 years are shaking our heads.

Also, I didn't know I wanted my sled controlling my skis. I thought it was the other way around.

Last edited:

snoden

Also, I didn't know I wanted my sled controlling my skis.
Most don't and complain about severe darting. Then change skis or carbides with zero improvement. They just don't get the ski tip is in control. I get that you get it but again most don't.

whitedust

Most don't and complain about severe darting. Then change skis or carbides with zero improvement. They just don't get the ski tip is in control. I get that you get it but again most don't.
So how much do you charge to set up stock sleds or are poor stockers impossible to optimize?