2024 Yamaha.Is it going to happen?

old abe

Wow this thread is like the real rail industry....off the tracks! I'm not a hater of other brands, I believe were all lucky to be riding these beautiful machines produced today no matter what brand or class. Doo and Poo are market leaders as they produce sleds for every type of rider in every class with multiple options. Yamaha is relying on the very successful 998 turbo 4 stroke motor in an AC chassis, that's basically it except for some rebranded AC off trail units. I like most think the end is near for Yamaha, but I have no clue at all just my opinion. I do believe the motor will find it's way into other brands but, maybe not, maybe just in Textron/AC units. The class of hyper sleds still exist and that motor is still class leading 10 years later, although Doo's 900 turbo R is right there. Like I said before, I will be in the market for a new sled down the road only time will tell what brand that will be, I know this I won't have blinders on! My only wish is that it will have that sweet 998 turbo 4 stroke Yamaha motor in it.
The Yami 998 takes up quite some space, and is rather weighty?

whitedust

Wow this thread is like the real rail industry....off the tracks! I'm not a hater of other brands, I believe were all lucky to be riding these beautiful machines produced today no matter what brand or class. Doo and Poo are market leaders as they produce sleds for every type of rider in every class with multiple options. Yamaha is relying on the very successful 998 turbo 4 stroke motor in an AC chassis, that's basically it except for some rebranded AC off trail units. I like most think the end is near for Yamaha, but I have no clue at all just my opinion. I do believe the motor will find it's way into other brands but, maybe not, maybe just in Textron/AC units. The class of hyper sleds still exist and that motor is still class leading 10 years later, although Doo's 900 turbo R is right there. Like I said before, I will be in the market for a new sled down the road only time will tell what brand that will be, I know this I won't have blinders on! My only wish is that it will have that sweet 998 turbo 4 stroke Yamaha motor in it.
You are going thru the same transition dfattack and I went thru from Yamaha to Skidoo 4s. In reality there ain’t much out there to compare just skidoo and Yamaha. Polaris did join the 4s movement but their hearts aren’t in it for years Polaris denied a snowmobile 4s market existed to the delight of Doo and Yamaha. Doo is here to stay and has expanded their 4s line up. I might have stayed with Yamaha if they added eps to the procross line up earlier but too late for me. Also Yamaha excellent service support is getting lean in WI still excellent in Big Snow with Pats but nothing in southeastern WI and that hurts. I have no idea why snowbuilder gets bent regarding doo 4s comparison to Yamaha is only natural to compare the best to each other? Also it’s amazing that sledders like to comment on Yamaha who has the smallest market share. I think prior Yamaha users loved their sleds but the technology got old and they moved on but still respect the Yamaha brand and want them to make a comeback. It doesn’t look that way and it disappoints me but and I try to encourage Yamaha to invest in snowmobiles and get back in the game. Something has to give at Yamaha soon.

snoden

The Yami 998 takes up quite some space, and is rather weighty?
Not anymore than any other 4 stroke motor, besides where I'm from we ride our sleds, we don't carry them. Heck even 2 strokes are now approaching 500 lbs. or more.

dfattack

You are going thru the same transition dfattack and I went thru from Yamaha to Skidoo 4s. In reality there ain’t much out there to compare just skidoo and Yamaha. Polaris did join the 4s movement but their hearts aren’t in it for years Polaris denied a snowmobile 4s market existed to the delight of Doo and Yamaha. Doo is here to stay and has expanded their 4s line up. I might have stayed with Yamaha if they added eps to the procross line up earlier but too late for me. Also Yamaha excellent service support is getting lean in WI still excellent in Big Snow with Pats but nothing in southeastern WI and that hurts. I have no idea why snowbuilder gets bent regarding doo 4s comparison to Yamaha is only natural to compare the best to each other? Also it’s amazing that sledders like to comment on Yamaha who has the smallest market share. I think prior Yamaha users loved their sleds but the technology got old and they moved on but still respect the Yamaha brand and want them to make a comeback. It doesn’t look that way and it disappoints me but and I try to encourage Yamaha to invest in snowmobiles and get back in the game. Something has to give at Yamaha soon.
you had to bring him up didn't you. You know he's now going to reply.

snoden

Perhaps you check your numbers again?
Here are a couple for ya, Polaris Boost VR1 estimated dry weight from the OEM 501 LBS and Doo's 900R estimated dry weight from the OEM 519 LBS. In the 4 stroke platforms the Yami SRX is 40 LBS more than a Doo 900 R, both dry weights from the OEM. In my opinion weight of a sled is not a concern.

old abe

Imo, just 15, 20# up front, over the skis, makes for a noticeable difference. This in both ride, and handling. After a big day, high mile, hard ride, very noticeable. These comparisons I made were from going from our 2 stroke sleds, to our 4 strokes.
Here are a couple for ya, Polaris Boost VR1 estimated dry weight from the OEM 501 LBS and Doo's 900R estimated dry weight from the OEM 519 LBS. In the 4 stroke platforms the Yami SRX is 40 LBS more than a Doo 900 R, both dry weights from the OEM. In my opinion weight of a sled is not a concern

snoden

Imo, just 15, 20# up front, over the skis, makes for a noticeable difference. This in both ride, and handling. After a big day, high mile, hard ride, very noticeable. These comparisons I made were from going from our 2 stroke sleds, to our 4 strokes.
I agree 100%. I struggled out of the gate with the SRX, it was either planting the nose hard on decel or the skis were in the air. Not fun with either scenario. I would make some changes like stiffer center spring and adding more compression on the front skis which helped handling but compromised comfort. I needed help understanding what makes these chassis work.

xsledder

I agree 100%. I struggled out of the gate with the SRX, it was either planting the nose hard on decel or the skis were in the air. Not fun with either scenario. I would make some changes like stiffer center spring and adding more compression on the front skis which helped handling but compromised comfort. I needed help understanding what makes these chassis work.
It is a four stroke so it is more sensitive to throttle inputs. Even with them injecting air into the cylinder to make them more like a two stroke, they are still more herky-jerky. Let off the throttle and they nose-dive putting more pressure on the front shocks. Give it throttle and with the way they are clutched, they hit harder because of the torque curve of a four stroke. Especially with a turbo. You cannot drive a four stroke like a two stroke. With a four stroke you have to drive the corner before you reach the corner. So, let off the throttle early so the suspension and sled has time to reach an equilibrium by the time you turn into the corner. Lessens the turning effort. Then, especially with the turbo, hit the throttle mid-corner when the sled is planted and ready for the acceleration. You might lift the skies, but it will still make the turn because of your body weight is on the inside and the track will kick out enough to turn the sled. Less tiring and more fun. Been able to ride at least 300 miles a day on a four stroke like this with no more fatigue than riding a two stroke.

How do I know this, '05 T660 Touring Turbo, '07 T660 Touring Turbo, '05 Phazer and '16 High Country with the Nytro motor in it. Been ride four strokes for about the last decade. And talk about heavy sleds, Cats T660's where very heavy sleds. Close to 700 lbs.

snobuilder

Blah blah bAAAAAA/ ...alla you dimwhits need to quit acting like it is someones job to nail the coffin shut on yet another sled brand....ferfucksake we are ALL snowmobilers.

MATTR

I think this thread has pretty much covered the topic so let me share the following.....

" If you disagree with someone, you can state your point, but attacking someone personally is off limits. Besides, it is of little interest to anyone on this site but you anyway! Even brand bashing can be considered a personal attack. There are too many ways one can do a personal attack, so I will not give examples. To be safe, think of it this way: If you do not have something positive to say about someone, then don’t say it here!"
John Dee​

snoden

Blah blah bAAAAAA/ ...alla you dimwhits need to quit acting like it is someones job to nail the coffin shut on yet another sled brand....ferfucksake we are ALL snowmobilers.
Really...Wow! I have never owned another brand only Yamaha. In reality my 2 current sleds are Arctic Cats with Yamaha power plants. Do I want to see Yamaha exit the sled market? Not a chance but, I also don't see them staying for the long haul either.