3 Old Guys Ride to Alaska

whitedust

weight of 4S makes sense I guess, but you are carrying as much or more in weight on the sled...

Also, batteries ok I get that but they also make little jumpers you can bring along that weigh a lot less than the oil.

Did you see how much oil they were bringing?
No I didn’t but injected 2s don’t consume much oil. 4s engine breaking not much good in those riding conditions either this is where 2s shine. Being a 4s fan I would opt for 2s for these conditions just a better mousetrap for powder and breaking trail.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Early Trail.jpg
“The three old guys were traveling on one of the oldest winter freighting trails in northern Saskatchewan. That trail from Flin Flon to the Churchill River that they were following was first established in 1928 when the Hudson's Bay Mining and Smelting Co. cleared and used that trail to freight tons of goods and equipment to build the Island Falls Hydro dam on the Churchill River in order to have a power supply for the new mine and smelter at the Flin Flon Mine. Linn Tractors were the mode of tractor transportation in those days.”
Breaking Trail.jpg
Breaking Trail
Break Time.jpg
Rest Period
Sponsors.jpg
Nice mention for the wives keeping the home fires burning so the guys can come out to play.​

snowdance

Did anyone watch the whole video I posted? It was very interesting to see the preparation and amount of stuff they’re carrying. Including parts to rebuild an engine. Pistons, etc… a defibrillator for medical emergencies even.

snomoman

Did anyone watch the whole video I posted? It was very interesting to see the preparation and amount of stuff they’re carrying. Including parts to rebuild an engine. Pistons, etc… a defibrillator for medical emergencies even.
Yes I did watch that video and thanks for sharing, so they actually had a 4th snowmobile that was the same as the others and took it apart for parts to bring along with them, they talked about gearing it down for the extra loads and putting heavy duty shocks on, these guys really thought this stuff out

snobuilder

where is this location in Canada?

Day 14 / Mar 19
The 3 Old Guys set off towards Hay River this morning well equipped for the next leg of their journey. We continue to be awed by the welcoming communities of Northern Canada and the First Nation people. Yesterday afternoon, after so many of you assisted us, the guys were able to connect with Earl Evans who not only shared his maps and knowledge, but also fed the 3 Old Guys a Moose Tongue, Bear Fat, and Bannock dinner. Reportedly delicious!
Thanks to fortunate encounters like these, and the kind individuals that share their stories with them, the 3 Old Guys are able to learn, laugh, and gain so many friends along their way. When we received the check-in call last night, the 3 Old Guys sounded like they were having the time of their lives! - who wouldn’t be?
336777350_2398892406930170_1658145225174455673_n.jpg

Last edited:

snomoman

Check it out on Facebook, I’m not a member but I still can check out their status, quite interesting

snowdance

E5B2FEF7-6509-46CD-844C-2077405B0B11.jpeg where is this location in Canada?

Day 14 / Mar 19
The 3 Old Guys set off towards Hay River this morning well equipped for the next leg of their journey. We continue to be awed by the welcoming communities of Northern Canada and the First Nation people. Yesterday afternoon, after so many of you assisted us, the guys were able to connect with Earl Evans who not only shared his maps and knowledge, but also fed the 3 Old Guys a Moose Tongue, Bear Fat, and Bannock dinner. Reportedly delicious!
Thanks to fortunate encounters like these, and the kind individuals that share their stories with them, the 3 Old Guys are able to learn, laugh, and gain so many friends along their way. When we received the check-in call last night, the 3 Old Guys sounded like they were having the time of their lives! - who wouldn’t be?
336777350_2398892406930170_1658145225174455673_n.jpg
I think Fort Smith

snomoman

Today (Mar 22) they are headed to Fort Simpson, May they have safe travels, The red dot shows were fort Simpson is

Attachments

• BEF6A604-E64C-4A3D-8934-35E72F0B4598.png
    BEF6A604-E64C-4A3D-8934-35E72F0B4598.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

snowdance

I love seeing their daily updates. Amazes me the journey they are on. If you went from the East coast to the West coast and added 500 miles that's how long their trip is if I recall from the video. That should give it some perspective.

snomoman

Watch out where the huskies go and don’t you eat that yellow Snow

Frank Zappa

Attachments

• 9C6584B1-6099-49FC-BC94-D9B598276C59.jpeg
    9C6584B1-6099-49FC-BC94-D9B598276C59.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 45

snomoman

Thought everyone would get a kick out of this, posted on Facebook on their thread

Attachments

• E1646BE8-8E01-4FE4-9734-940C2BD22A64.jpeg
    E1646BE8-8E01-4FE4-9734-940C2BD22A64.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 46

snowdance

I never put it together until someone mentioned it, but Rex Hibbert that's on this trip is Tucker Hibbert's uncle. Yesterday Rex's 70th birthday.

uncle_ed

F
I never put it together until someone mentioned it, but Rex Hibbert that's on this trip is Tucker Hibbert's uncle. Yesterday Rex's 70th birthday.
From what Ive read for the most part these guys have the credentials to undertake this task. One thing they have for sure as old frank would say is they have Sisu......

wiscrev

Go to their FB site. Nice story today on all that has been going on, both live and behind the scenes. A very good read.