Above the Law...LOL

rph130

You're familiar with Brady-Giglio then? How an officer who is convicted of a DUI is likely now arguably useless to enforce or testify in cases involving same?
Yes, refers to credibility of a witness. In the case with these two officers, one is an investigator and the other is a Lieutenant. I'm not making an excuse for their actions/behavior, because it was wrong, but it is unlikely either is out making DUI/OWI arrests so therefor court credibility testimony in an OWI case is unlikely. To call for their job as you stated is like cutting off your kids finger when he flipped someone the bird. EXTREME. To add to that, I received 2 speeding tickets from a Wisconsin State Trooper over the 30 years of commuting from the Northwoods of Wisconsin to Chicago. I paid them because I was wrong. And yes, I was still able to testify against individuals that I wrote speeding tickets to.

rph130

I wondered if someone was going to bring that up...I'll take it one step further...A GOOD criminal defense attorney might use these officers arrests to get former OWI convictions they were involved in while on duty in their jurisdiction expunged...A whole new can of worms for the local county prosecutors to review...
Not a chance.

ICT Sledder

Yes, refers to credibility of a witness. In the case with these two officers, one is an investigator and the other is a Lieutenant. I'm not making an excuse for their actions/behavior, because it was wrong, but it is unlikely either is out making DUI/OWI arrests so therefor court credibility testimony in an OWI case is unlikely. To call for their job as you stated is like cutting off your kids finger when he flipped someone the bird. EXTREME. To add to that, I received 2 speeding tickets from a Wisconsin State Trooper over the 30 years of commuting from the Northwoods of Wisconsin to Chicago. I paid them because I was wrong. And yes, I was still able to testify against individuals that I wrote speeding tickets to.
Speeding tickets aren't a criminal offense. Virtually everyone has a prior speeding ticket.

According to the source below, just over 2% (2.27%) of the country has a prior DUI. One in every 40 to 50 people. That's not a large percentage of the population. Considering Wisconsin rings in at #4 in the country for proportion of the population with a DUI at 4.33% (or roughly twice the national average), maybe that indicates that consequences for DUI in WI need to be increased.

https://insurify.com/insights/states-with-the-most-duis-2020/

wiscrev

I wondered if someone was going to bring that up...I'll take it one step further...A GOOD criminal defense attorney might use these officers arrests to get former OWI convictions they were involved in while on duty in their jurisdiction expunged...A whole new can of worms for the local county prosecutors to review...
Only the lawyers win!

SHOOT2KILL

I also wonder if the arresting officer had a body cam, and it was left on during the interaction...Hopefully if so....Someone from the local media petitions thru the freedom of information law to get the footage...Maybe those 2 clowns became triggered and unhinged when they realized they were getting arrested...

ICT Sledder

And I'll probably need to laugh myself to the point of a hernia by an LEO from the god-forsaken, corrupt state of IL arguing for kid hand treatment of a fellow LEO caught doing something that folks lose jobs, military rank, and security clearances for. Something that is literally the leading contributor to both motor vehicle and sledding deaths in the state of Wisconsin.

goofy600

I said none of those things, like literally.
Exactly, you were comparing a CPA that steals from his clients, an attorney lying in court or a doctor cutting off the wrong leg to a Police officer off duty drinking and riding a snowmobile. In a court of law (not being a lawyer)these situations would probably have different charges, so compare apples to apples which your comparison was not.

ICT Sledder

BAC reporting is incomplete for many of the deaths so for in 2023, but in prior years for Wisconsin we see...

2022 - 62% of sledding deaths were a legally drunk rider
2021 - again, 62%
2020 - 53%
2019 - 56%
2018 - 47%

...and I'm omitting results where they confirmed alcohol consumption, but don't have a BAC as no test was given, so these numbers are probably low.

rph130

Laugh away. As I said, what they did was wrong. I am very aware of what the leading contributors of snowmobile related deaths are. There was no crash, personal injury, or death relating to these two individuals. Your idea of their punishment does not fit the crime. As far as your idea of the "god-forsaken, corrupt state of IL" for which I served for more than 30 years, from wherever you may come, your ignorance of just and fair discipline in the law enforcement profession is what you should be laughing at. Until you have walked in the shoes of the men and women who are sworn to protect you and your skewed ideas of their discipline, you should probably keep your radical opinion to yourself.

ICT Sledder

Laugh away. As I said, what they did was wrong. I am very aware of what the leading contributors of snowmobile related deaths are. There was no crash, personal injury, or death relating to these two individuals. Your idea of their punishment does not fit the crime. As far as your idea of the "god-forsaken, corrupt state of IL" for which I served for more than 30 years, from wherever you may come, your ignorance of just and fair discipline in the law enforcement profession is what you should be laughing at. Until you have walked in the shoes of the men and women who are sworn to protect you and your skewed ideas of their discipline, you should probably keep your radical opinion to yourself.
Law enforcement protects nothing more than the will of whatever government controls it. It does not look out for the rights of the individual. LEO responses to Covid fiat taught us that very clearly and distinctly. The entirety of human history likewise illustrates same. When any government turns corrupt or authoritarian in nature, law enforcement is the first line of the will of that government. How many examples do you want? The list is massive and associated with the worst of human history. Law enforcement as a part of society is a necessary evil that itself needs as much oversight as the criminal behavior it is tasked with controlling.

Last edited:

hybrid

ICT, so your saying if a CPA gets a OWI he should loose his job if a n attorney gets an OWI they should loose there job and I’d a doctor gets an OWI they should never practice again? Or if you get an OWI when you are on vacation you should loose you job. People are not perfect they make mistakes, they weren’t on the job or carrying a weapon yes they know better and do better being their chosen profession. There should be consequences but their mistakes by no means should be worse then any others unless it is in there contract that they can never get in trouble.
just curious how you know they were not carrying a weapon ?
this would surprise me

wfd123

Must be nice to be as perfect as you. If these two were plumbers or electricians would anybody give a crap? Would it make the news and have every sanctimonious do-gooder condemning them? They were NOT on duty. Cops have personal lives and yes, they make mistakes. I get it that cops are held to a higher standard then Joe Shit the rag man and what they did was wrong, but to go for their throats and want them fired is absurd. Glad I didn't work for you early in my career when I wore a badge and made mistakes and I'm sure the guys who worked for me late in my career are glad I used common sense and understanding of life experiences when I handed down disciplinary actions.
Totally agree

ICT Sledder

Exactly, you were comparing a CPA that steals from his clients, an attorney lying in court or a doctor cutting off the wrong leg to a Police officer off duty drinking and riding a snowmobile. In a court of law (not being a lawyer)these situations would probably have different charges, so compare apples to apples which your comparison was not.
There are behaviors and actions in any of those professions that while not necessarily significant to society at large would still cause them to lose their licenses.

I have a license for what I do, and there are any number of ways I could lose it that aren't so much as a blip on the radar of society at large. Are those offenses a big deal to the average person? Nope, I'd have to explain them to the average person so they would even understand they are wrong in the first place. Are the offenses incongruous with remaining in the profession? Yep, you bet.

The same can be said for anyone who holds a license for a profession - of which a law enforcement commission basically is. A DUI conviction for someone who (for most/many of them) operates a vehicle all day, sometimes requiring speed and aggression, and who is in part tasked with enforcing and being able to testify to DUI arrests, the argument isn't that ridiculous.

Northstar

They are accused but not convicted yet, innocent until proven guilty. The LT did not blow, he preserved his 5th amendment right against self incrimination which will make things more difficult to get a conviction on smell and glassy eyes. You can assume since his buddy blew a .14 but there is a reasonable doubt. But there are other repercussions for not blowing, no doubt some pissed off superiors and will never see the captains bars.

As far as him no longer being able to testify in a DUI case, well he is a Lieutenant after all and probably rides a desk every day and never goes on the street to be involved in an arrest. He has officers and sergeants on the streets for that, so probably the last DUI case he sees will be his own.

goofy600

just curious how you know they were not carrying a weapon ?
this would surprise me
You are correct I do not know that but you would think that would’ve been brought up. Maybe but are no point in the article did it say the tried resisting or did anything to disrespect the Leo that was the arresting officer.

united

ICT Sledder post #46
Something meaning alcohol

"Something that is literally the leading contributor to....motor vehicle...deaths in the state of Wisconsin."

Source please?

united

Law enforcement protects nothing more than the will of whatever government controls it. It does not look out for the rights of the individual. LEO responses to Covid fiat taught us that very clearly and distinctly. The entirety of human history likewise illustrates same. When any government turns corrupt or authoritarian in nature, law enforcement is the first line of the will of that government. How many examples do you want? The list is massive and associated with the worst of human history. Law enforcement as a part of society is a necessary evil that itself needs as much oversight as the criminal behavior it is tasked with controlling.
Sheriffs in Wisconsin did not enforce mask laws
https://www.tmj4.com/news/coronavir...t-enforce-gov-tony-evers-statewide-mask-order

Sheriffs in Illinois do not enforce assault weapon ban.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...inois-counties-not-enforce-assault-weapon-ban

rph130

I almost feel a little sorry for you and whatever world you live in. Worst of human history? I have seen the worst of what people can and will do to each other. I also have been a part of the good that people can and will do for each other. Law Enforcement as a necessary evil? Good luck with that one when something bad happens to you, your family, or your property.

ICT Sledder

One class/type of LEO - out of what... a half-dozen different class/types of LEO's - in one state out of fifty, thought THAT is where they might draw the line. Awesome!

I'm aware there is more stories like that here or there. That's what you might call anecdotal evidence. What we have on the other side is large-scale, verifiable evidence (the we might call empirical) of law enforcement agencies during Covid happy to put their foot down on the individual at the behest of the state. Or arresting parents voicing their unhappiness with school board at woke garbage being force fed to their children. How about the (admittedly goober-tastic, moronic) Jan 6th protesters being held for perpetuity without charges. There are PLENTY more examples of law enforcement who will do whatever their overlords tell them to do. And we're not even talking about the FBI. Good god... where do we even start with that clown show of political abuse, surveillance and entrapment?

The above is all a part of this super-special class of humans - the LEO "brothers" and "sisters", right?