Anybody using a ride light?

cuzzinolaf

I know a guy with one.... and his is the only one I ever saw. I would have no clue what it was unless he told me. Don't waste your money unless they become more popular.

snocrazy

I could see paying 14.99 for that thing maybe. I think they are pricing them so high it will never catch on. $89 Its a bank of high powered leds with a battery and a plastic case.

ezra

well now I will know what it means when I see a guy with a tail light attached to his handlebars.looks silly

dab102999

I have been looking at them off and on for a couple of years now. Figured price would be dropping but they haven't. I personally believe it is a great idea once it catchs on. but at the same time I have 4 sleds and am not going to pay that much just for that light to be on them.... I mean look at how many post we see on here alone about "proper edicate" with hand signals. And when to take your hands off the bars and not and so on and so on....I think they will catch on and in a way am surprised that the sled manufactures haven't hopped on that wagon and incorperated them into there new sled design.

rp7x

blinking red

saw a guy with the tail lite on his bars and he was still waveing his hands like crazy

ilindy

From watching their video, a couple things came to mind for me. Like some of you have said, until they catch on, most people won't know what they are for. (I still come across riders who seem bewildered with hand signals!) At times, the yellows sometimes looked red in their video and there wasn't too big of a difference between the yellow and the green. (Maybe my computer resolution or something.) They appear to be on the small side as well especially in line with the headlights. I could see where these might be beneficial for night-time riding but most of the time, you see the headlights coming anyway. Might be helpful in heavily wooded areas at night and where riders spread out more. Finally, I think my first reaction when I would come across them would be to think they are law enforcement. Of course, that would make me play "heads-up" so I guess it would serve that purpose.

jbammon68

If you catch the "newest dealers authorized dealers" they are all in the North East. These are more popular in Maine, Vermont, NewHampshire and New York. Some state orgs are promoting lights as an alternative to hand signals. Take a look at this alternate system: http://www.willyps.net/

Last edited:

handiman

I think the colored light idea is a good one. The numbers could be confusing and distracting. At even trail speed a '0' or '3' or '6' or '8' could be hard to discern from each other...

Last edited:

Banjo Man

I agree with Handi man.
When it comes to 6 or 8 sleds counting them goes by the wayside and common sense takes over.

beakjones

Their video is such a terrible example it's a bit hard taking the company serious. You should 4 sleds 20 feet each away from each other.... where you can already see all of them very easily.

If you can't see other sleds coming at night.....my God, get off the trails. I fail to see how flashing another bright light at drivers is going to solve anything.

polarisrider1

Read it too quick at first, thought it said Ride to the light. I'm thinking that ain't going to work very well, then I read it again. DUH!!
Too funny!
Just what we need more gadgets to make our lives better. I think the light is a total waste of money. I would never rely on a sled coming at me to have useful information unless he forces me to stop and says, "Bridge out ahead" or "crash in middle of trail around this mountain", "Radar gun next straight away". "DNR hiding at next stop sign". Factual, important stuff. The finger count is not always correct, It does not include the group trying to pass you. It does promote speeding on the trails is all I can see it doing. "Theres the fist, end of the list" hammer time. is all I get from it. We don't do hand signals with cars, quads, dirt bikes, motorcycles, or boats.

coach

"Lightning Rod"

Does anyone remember the "Lightning Rod" about 25 years ago? It was a strobe light attached to a three foot pole which attached to the back of the sled.

It never caught on but it did work.