Carter's Corner.....

lookin4snow

Clutching

You'll want to clutch for 9,000 to 10,000 as that is where the majority of the good riding is. The forecast does not show any new snow in the forecast for the next week. Snotel at Tog pass shows 28 inches with nothing new in the past week. That can be misleading, as the snow often falls west of that Snotel station (last year is a great example). My general rule is 40 inches on the Snotel to cover up land mines. Certainly there are areas with snow as Pat's pics show, but you have to be real careful to know the terrain and what is under there as it's really easy to wreck things early season. Some areas 40 inches is not enough. Good luck Bent.

mnrmkrb

Hey Boatingbent, where are u from in SE MN I am from Pine Island and was at Tog last week and going back out Jan 3 Carter showed us great snow for dec 1.

carter

The healing process is gong well. Going to have to ride in a little pain as all the sprain swelling has not gone away totally. lots of high pressure in the area and not much snow. Still have a good amount up high and not a lot of people here makes, makes for good riding in the &*$#@)_ spots. Its supposed to crank up again this week, although it keeps changing. Ma Nature, you know...keep the faith,....

lookin4snow

well hopefully they will get a bunch before Jan 7th .......You going out this year

I am heading out on December 26 to ride with Carter for the rest of the week. Of course that assumes he isn't too gimpy and hopefully they get some additional snow. It always seems to crank up right around Christmas. So, as Carter says, keep the faith.

skiseadoo

I was planning on heading out there on the 22nd but waiting to see how the conditions shape up. If there is anyone in the midwest that wants to share a ride out there, let me know.

carter

He wasn't out scouting, he was out riding....we did get 5 in. of new stuff....the truth is I've seen it better and I've seen it worse. Crappy answer i know. Its actually ok riding. Still have to be aware of obstacles but i've been riding good pow for 2 days now. And gimp or not, I can still kick some powder a$%.....To all planning a Christmas trip and are on the fence, its worth the trip. Supposed to dump next week, although it was supposed to dump last week....Come one come all to the greatest show on snow........more later..

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Carter, you might want to switch up your source for weather forecasts. No dumps are seen for next week. Some fresh does look to fall later Wednesday into Thursday, but probably not much more than 5-8" at the lodge. Otherwise, MOTS- Quiet.

-John

carter

John, its been consistent that a 5 in. drop at the lodge produces 10 in. at higher elevations..so 5-8 in could be 10 to 16 up and that is big...my source is hear say and guess work and 16 years at the lodge....I am not the weather PRO you are ,keep the faith and beat the drum... its coming...

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I did not mean to paint a negative picture. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents that I did not see any big storms for the Rockies anytime soon, but some fresh does look to be on the way for the middle of next week.

Wish I could head out there right now and play. Will just have to wait until March for my turn.

-John

snoclo

Carter, possibly be seeing you before you head home on Sat. evening. Greg & I are headed your at about 15:00, 19 hours later = Tog.
L8r, Al & the Heavy CAT

snoclo

Flatland Jack & lookin4snow;
we're going to be in the area from the 17th - 1st, see if the new Cats are as good/bad as people are praising/whining about. Hope to see you there, so we can beat up the gimp some more, think I might bring some velcro lanyards, or maybe some zip ties to keep him attached.
L8r, Al & the Heavy Cat

Flatland Jack

Greg and Al

Flatland Jack & lookin4snow;
we're going to be in the area from the 17th - 1st, see if the new Cats are as good/bad as people are praising/whining about. Hope to see you there, so we can beat up the gimp some more, think I might bring some velcro lanyards, or maybe some zip ties to keep him attached.
L8r, Al & the Heavy Cat

We will see you Sat. Nite and ride with you on Sunday.

Can't wait to see how your new Cats run.

Gotta keep some Cats in the group to pull the Poo's in when they melt down.

We are leaving Sun. nite.

The snow is better than we were expecting. It is good but not great. We talked about duct taping Gimpy to his sled but nobody wanted to help him when he had to go to the bathroom, so we didn't.

It's nice to get the first ride of the season in.

Later.

Flatland Jack

lookin4snow

Have fun next week Al, Greg, and FJ. We will be there on the 27th ready to pick up all the pieces. Always have lots of towing devices on the sled, so if I have to pull Carter out again we'll be set. 4 Summit's in our group this year.

pale rider

news flash,dodge city 10"",,think pale rider and wales better head in +cleanup mainstreet,then
head up to northern rockies to kick green/yellow ***