Carter's Corner.....

carter

Carter Sez.....

I don't have any idea about that week yet. I will make room for you. No tailgunning necessary, just ride, ride, ride...

m8man

Mezz, I and another buddy will be heading out for our first trip sledding in that neck of the woods. We can't wait. We are driving out on Feb 17.

m8man

mezz

you booked all inclusive?

Yep, booked the all inclusive on Sept 17 for Feb. Leaving the Yoop on the 17th to arrive at Tog on the 18th, Ride the 19th-23rd. Looking forward to this, I have wanted to do this for a long long time, finally gonna do it. I even found a nice used enclosed trailer for us take our toys out in, which has just been fully serviced & ready to go. Sled is ready & so am I.:cool:-Mezz

m8man

Mezz has informed me I'm on a leash for the first two days. I'm not allowed to jump off/over anything without his approval.

sky's the limit.

m8man

Firecatguy

haha thats awesome guys!!!!you wont be disappointed!!!my rule of thumb is I take it easy the first day and just get acclimated then its full on!!!

carter

Carter Sez.....

Hey, guys...that first day rip it up thing is tough to get past. Slam the water on the way out. Hydrate is a big help. If you are struggling with a cold or bug, get meds. a bit before you come. Don't be out here sickly.... meds. and water, BIG........ Our weather turns on monday...cold, rainy, and snow on mountain tops. My last weekend to ride the big blue machine....

WIrider

Carter have a safe last ride on the HD. Can't say enough about the water thing, you told Paul (Techsledder) and I this last year and it worked wonders. I think Paul drank more water the month before going out and while out there than he drinks in a year......or you could go the Pat's route and hydrate on Pepsi. That worked great didn't Pat. :D

Firecatguy

Carter have a safe last ride on the HD. Can't say enough about the water thing, you told Paul (Techsledder) and I this last year and it worked wonders. I think Paul drank more water the month before going out and while out there than he drinks in a year......or you could go the Pat's route and hydrate on Pepsi. That worked great didn't Pat. :D

HAHAHAA you funny guy!!lol.....yep the Pepsi and coffee diet does not work!!!huge cramps at dinner!!!!!I still use the stretch you showed me!!!!!!as for me its water and bananas!!!

Last edited:

Firecatguy

nice job Carter I seen your smiling face in there!!!lol you are a star trail rider in this vid!!!holy cow I never seen you on so many trails!!!lol

good stuff!!!save the Boobies!!!!!!!we all love Boobies!!!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mB0O3lnb9r4?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mB0O3lnb9r4?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

m8man

Thanks Carter.

My friend is a pilot, who has had some probs with ??hypoxia?? And basically told me to drink a half gallon of water for 2 weeks b4 I go out, ya think it's a good idea or is that overkill

m8man

carter

Carter Sez.....

Your pilot friend is right on. Or this way, drink water till you pee clear. You guys gotta understand how much you actually work at this vacation. Your body is in a full sweat all day. That translates to how much fluid loss? Got to have the fluid. Next thing is the headaches, the fluid loss causes headaches, actually a dehydration at altitude headache.. do the water and the thing goes away. So, headache, do the water, spots, do the water, altitude, do the water, or pee clear....

m8man

Thanks Carter.

Think snow, I gotta go pull my M8 out of my dad's barn this week and go through it.

I'm going to add the simmons gen 3 skis to it this yr too.

later

m8man

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, with all the fun I had from last October through May with fluid build up and other assorted issues due to the heart surgery, I sure learned a lot about the body and fluids. Basically, a healthy body will self regulate fluids, so drinking a lot of water in advance of going out west is only going to make you have to pee a ton here in the flatlands.

The best thing you can do in advance of going out west is cardio exercise. Hit the treadmill, elliptical, stairmaster, what ever, but get that heart rate up and keep it up for at least 30 minutes a day. This should be started months before going out west, not weeks.

Once out there, then drink tons of fluids. You really cannot over do it. Somewhere on the order of 5-6 liters a day is a good starting point, but more can be needed by some. Drink mainly water, but sports drinks are good too as they replenish your electrolytes. Another one that is good, but can be hard to follow while on vacation is to avoid alcohol and caffeine as both will dehydrate you.

Carter is right on with the pee color. Clear is good, the darker the yellow, the worse off you are.

Folks might want to read up on AMS. Not trying to scare anyone off, but it's all good knowledge to have on hand so that you can differentiate between a mild case of AMS and severe case.

-John

Firecatguy

Cardio....for sure!!!!if you never been to the Mts you will be shocked at how you cant breath!!!!!

the biggest reason i quite smoking ciggs is I was at 10,000ft and was having tuff time getting my breath...I went home a quite smoking!!!!!!still cant breath at 10,000 hahahha

I will add this.....We took a guy with us few years back to Tog and Dave was in great shape!!body builder,roofer and 25 years old!!!!!!the only time I ever seen some one get mountain sickness he turned pure white half way thru the day and if it wasn't for Carter noticing it we might be less one friend as he kept going and never said a word, he was to tuff to believe he was getting sick!!!!!!we headed down off the mt and Dave felt better after time at sea level!!!scary stuff

Last edited:

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first time we went to Tog my brother and I were beyond excited, like two kids Christmas morning, x's a billion. We checked in, grabbed all our gear and starting running up the stairs in the lodge to get to our room. Holy crap, we were completly exhausted by the time we got to the top of the stairs! LOL. Digging out all week at that altitude was an eye opener. :eek: