Did anybody else see this accident?

olsmann

Sitting taking a break a trail junction where the trail heads south along the west side of Gogebic. A group of about 5 guys on Yamahas riding like complete idiots cross the road (a few side by side of course). Well as soon as the get across the road and pull some massive wheelies, the race side by side is on down the trail. So one guy goes to pass his buddie, pushes his buddy off the right side the trail, right at a point where there is a small bridge with a little creek and a cheep 2x4 railing. Well he went right thru the rail for a 10 foot drop into the creek. Sled lands upside down and he lands right in the creek. It was a pretty good drop.

Anyways we run over to help and guy seems ok but shook up and stuvk in the slush. Buy this time his buddies come racing back to the rescue and almost run my wife over. We were gonna offfer assistance but it was clear these a-holes didn't want any help. These were not young guys either. Anyway. Just wondering if anyone else witnessed this? In my 25 years of riding I've never seem a bigger group of idiots on the trail. And that's really saying something. It was kinda surreal to watch a guy run his buddy right off the trail, thru a guard rail and into a ravine just pass him in a trail race.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

I know right where you are talking about, but wasn't up there at the time. That little bridge comes out of no where and then you are right at another intersection for 1 south or 8 west. Sounds like a bunch of idiots as you said.

olsmann

I know right where you are talking about, but wasn't up there at the time. That little bridge comes out of no where and then you are right at another intersection for 1 south or 8 west. Sounds like a bunch of idiots as you said.

Yep you got it. That bridge no longer has a railing. Like I said these guys were not young Ricky racers. Probably in there late 40s 50s. It was a nasty drop. His apex was upside down in the creek.

ezra

better question are those bridges rated for 5 Yamaha's at once.
it is best to just stay off the trail.

groomerdriver

better question are those bridges rated for 5 Yamaha's at once.

Priceless ezra! And y'all remember I own two of them! Not blasting yam's...just a funny comment! :)

...and I'm not making fun of the situation either.

Last edited:

alwaysright

I saw this happen too, once we knew the guy wasn't hurt, I could stop laughing at the stupidity of the situation. FIBS was my first thought, then though maybe they were rentals which would have explained a lot. Nope, not rentals, clearly these guys were in the middle of a mid-life crisis, all went and bought sleds with no experience. These are the kind of riders that make me shake my head and have made me a more cautious driver, or better yet, i think we'll find some off trail riding today. At least one of them was wearing a go pro which is the most ridiculous new fad in snowmobiling, no I dont want to watch your video of trail riding on what I know are bumpy trails. Unless you got the video of your buddy going over the bridge, I'd watch that again and again.

whitedust

Yamahas doing massive wheelies?

It's all about the Apex transfer adjustment then add 300lbs + of rider position rearwards, studs & Apex will do massive wheelies for sure no problem. Some like to horse around like that live for wheelies sort of like bikes...yep I like to pop a liitle air now & then but my transfer is all on front skis to stay planted 99% or rides.

chicagosledder

I saw this happen too, once we knew the guy wasn't hurt, I could stop laughing at the stupidity of the situation. FIBS was my first thought, then though maybe they were rentals which would have explained a lot. Nope, not rentals, clearly these guys were in the middle of a mid-life crisis, all went and bought sleds with no experience. These are the kind of riders that make me shake my head and have made me a more cautious driver, or better yet, i think we'll find some off trail riding today. At least one of them was wearing a go pro which is the most ridiculous new fad in snowmobiling, no I dont want to watch your video of trail riding on what I know are bumpy trails. Unless you got the video of your buddy going over the bridge, I'd watch that again and again.

Definitely not FIBS as you put it, they weigh to much. Most likely from Wisconsin. LOL

kip

We just did the repairs and got the big boys going!!! And yes, they're from Wisconsin!!!!!:) Sunday service at Pat's got the ole boys rocking and rolling for some more excitement!!!!!!! LOL!!

olsmann

We just did the repairs and got the big boys going!!! And yes, they're from Wisconsin!!!!!:) Sunday service at Pat's got the ole boys rocking and rolling for some more excitement!!!!!!! LOL!!

Or more stupidity you mean. I was kinda hoping it would have been season ending for them. Before they kill someone

snobuilder

kinda curious how you saw all this unfold?

Yea, that was the first question that come to mind because you said they was racing....they'd be 200 yards away in about 6 seconds....must have happened in a matter of a couple hundred feet.

With buddies like that ,,,,who need enemas?

olsmann

kinda curious how you saw all this unfold?

We were standing there taking a break about 50 feet from the bridge in one direction and about 50 feet from the road they just crossed in the other direction. We literally just walked over to see if the guy was still alive.

switch07

Reminds me of a time a few years back in Mass City. Just north of town where the trail comes out of the woods and runs the power line. It was early season and we had stopped to take a break on the west side just off the trail. This guy on a blue xp edge comes flying around the corner and sees us sitting there and try's to do a heel click to impress us I guess. Well while he's performing this trick for us he hits a massive mogul that sends his sled to the left, him to the right, and his sled is now sideways in the air heading right at the power pole. It just missed the pole but rolled about four times smashing his wind shield and hood. In the meantime his buddy comes flying around the corner and almost hits him as he is digging snow out of his Ricky Racer Fleet Farm special helmet. We all stood up and gave him a round of applause due an Oscar winner. I laughed so hard, darn near soiled my new suit. We still talk about this almost every time we ride through that spot. Ahhh the memories of sledding.

G

G

wow, on an apex ! thats really a HALF TON !

450 lb guy, Apex with a full tank of gas about 700. No wonder the poor bridge lost. However, now that they know that Kip is around to fix them up they might get even more adventurous.. If I were there I would follow them around for cheap entertainment.