Electric Snowmobile

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Oh Yea!

Been watching this company finish development and move to production for the past 2 years. Setting up a dealer network in the states.

Not quite up to par with a gas powered sled, but getting closer. Probably be there in a few years.

I would love to have an electric sled AND love to be a sponsored rider for Taiga!

-John

euphoric1

curious about cost, range, how long to recharge, where to recharge. Been at gas stops where the line and wait are long, how many charging stations will be available at each stop. Will there be like a "jerry battery" like a "jerry can" (don't know if jerry is spelled that way in this instance but you get my drift) for those moments when you need a jump and there isn't a charging station near by. lots to consider and even more needed to make viable for riding some of us are accustomed to. I will say it's neat but I don't know...I think the roar of an engine much more satisfying to me than the sound of winding track noise all the time.

heckler56

So the entire hotel and restaurant industry would need to overhaul their electrical grid to accommodate many sleds and vehicles being plugged in at one time. And how would that work stopping at a restarant/bar and that group that camps out drinking all day, “sir, you need to move your sled”.
My buddies and I have a sweetheart deal outside of Munising away from traffic and get the lower part of a families home. I can see the owner’s face when I would ask him to upgrade his home so we could plug the sleds in - priceless!

whitedust

I’m sure the power to the track will eventually be there but range idk? Neat idea but the Northwoods infrastructure would have to upgraded hotels,motels , resorts to accommodate charging not to mention restaurants and remote charging stations. Definitely a future for sledding but broadband still hasn’t come to all of the Northwoods. Currently electric snowmobiles in the Northwoods is a sled without fuel. The question is how much range do you need?? I’m thinking 300 miles without power loss would work for me.

snomoman

I guess we could have a dogsled team at the ready whenever these electric sleds broke down, we know they would be reliable enough to get these people back to safety..
Haha

chunk06

After spending some time on a electric motorcycle i'm sold on electric rec vehicles once they figure out charging/range. The power is unbelievable! The lack of noise worried me a bit about animals, but the noise factor will help with noise sensitive areas

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the type of riding I do, backcountry, this would work well. If we, Team AARP, ride more than 6 hours, that's pushing it. We don't cover a lot of miles, usually. Like others have said, the infrastructure would have to be there first.

euphoric1

could you imagine pulling into let's say Krupps for a recharge on a busy weekend? i keep having this image a sea of sleds plugged in and the local power plant having to throw the auxiliary nuclear power switch just like in the Christmas Vacation movie just to keep the lights on in town as hundreds of sleds sit on charge over night or during a recharge layover

dynoski

I could see them working fine for ski hills and work sleds / fishing were you don't have to stray too far from the outlet.
Not for the type of riding we do. Any type of current batteries do not like the cold.

euphoric1

I could see them working fine for ski hills and work sleds / fishing were you don't have to stray too far from the outlet.
Not for the type of riding we do. Any type of current batteries do not like the cold.
That's what I thought about cold, I admit i don't follow new tech too closely but always thought lithium batteries didn't like the cold but obviously they have overcome that as EV's are not just for warmer climate, so will you have to keep plugged in at night to maintain battery temp and charge? which poses another whole issue with infrastructure for charging station's and I guess no more keeping in trailer at night if this true which opens another whole can of opportunities. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, IMO still a ton of hurdles to overcome but remember California eliminating alot of piston powered products including recreational vehicles in a few years and what starts there eventually ends up here.

mezz

The concept is nice for a trail sled, but as mentioned, what about charging stations & how long to charge them. We've all seen fuel stops backed up, imagine charging a sled. I don't know about anybody elses cost for electricity, but ours here are outrageous. This thing has got to weigh a lot more than current sleds considering battery weight & electric motor. Anybody riding this in the deep & steep is going to have an extra challange once your stuck, maybe they will come with a life time any time anywhere Triple A card (lol).

whitedust

That's what I thought about cold, I admit i don't follow new tech too closely but always thought lithium batteries didn't like the cold but obviously they have overcome that as EV's are not just for warmer climate, so will you have to keep plugged in at night to maintain battery temp and charge? which poses another whole issue with infrastructure for charging station's and I guess no more keeping in trailer at night if this true which opens another whole can of opportunities. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, IMO still a ton of hurdles to overcome but remember California eliminating alot of piston powered products including recreational vehicles in a few years and what starts there eventually ends up here.
If WI and MI went the way of CA for zero emissions for snowmobiles it would be the end of snowmobiling as we know it. Casual users would throw in the towel and an aging demographic may do the same just not willing to spend $15-20k per sled on all new electric technology as gas powered sleds would be useless via legislation and have no value. As said many times the electric infrastructure in snow areas would need an expensive upgrade. I see both electric cars and sleds as a gradual market shift over 15-20 years not a cold turkey approach as our current federal government is trying to force on the public. The cost to purchase electric powered equipment and vehicles can’t be supported by the common man and treat gas powered engines as valueless hunks of metal. Imo we will be using gasoline powered vehicles and equipment for a long long time and the crossover to electric will be gradual and need based. Lots of oil out there that will be used for many years to come.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Sure the infrastructure would need an overhaul, but e-sleds are not going to take over the industry overnight. Given the nature of the participants in snowmobiling to love HP, speed and combustion engines, will be a decade at least for there to be more e-sleds than combustion. However, imagine when the big 3 incorporate this tech into their production lines, it would give them lots more freedom when it comes to their fleet averaged emissions!
Plus, this is just one company. I personally would love to see Tesla get into the game. Elon already has a kids ATV: https://shop.tesla.com/product/cybe...2Z-lBoV1LXy-7rBShjDPbBQHSqm_lueA2-n_ctrgtScT8
Electric is the future for just about all vehicles, will take some time, but better let it start finding a happy place in your head!

euphoric1

If WI and MI went the way of CA for zero emissions for snowmobiles it would be the end of snowmobiling as we know it. Casual users would throw in the towel and an aging demographic may do the same just not willing to spend $15-20k per sled on all new electric technology as gas powered sleds would be useless via legislation and have no value. As said many times the electric infrastructure in snow areas would need an expensive upgrade. I see both electric cars and sleds as a gradual market shift over 15-20 years not a cold turkey approach as our current federal government is trying to force on the public. The cost to purchase electric powered equipment and vehicles can’t be supported by the common man and treat gas powered engines as valueless hunks of metal. Imo we will be using gasoline powered vehicles and equipment for a long long time and the crossover to electric will be gradual and need based. Lots of oil out there that will be used for many years to come.
Agreed, I think it took about 10 years or more for the C.A.R.B emission standards to be adapted by the EPA so yes it isnt going to happen any time in near future...thank god!

euphoric1

Sure the infrastructure would need an overhaul, but e-sleds are not going to take over the industry overnight. Given the nature of the participants in snowmobiling to love HP, speed and combustion engines, will be a decade at least for there to be more e-sleds than combustion. However, imagine when the big 3 incorporate this tech into their production lines, it would give them lots more freedom when it comes to their fleet averaged emissions!
Plus, this is just one company. I personally would love to see Tesla get into the game. Elon already has a kids ATV: https://shop.tesla.com/product/cybe...2Z-lBoV1LXy-7rBShjDPbBQHSqm_lueA2-n_ctrgtScT8
Electric is the future for just about all vehicles, will take some time, but better let it start finding a happy place in your head!
John, I could be wrong but I don't think manufacturers are allowed to hoard emission points to be used to offset units that don't meet current requirements. It will be interesting if the big 3 will join the game because when that happens we see even better products and more innovation.

whitedust

John, I could be wrong but I don't think manufacturers are allowed to hoard emission points to be used to offset units that don't meet current requirements. It will be interesting if the big 3 will join the game because when that happens we see even better products and more innovation.
Brp is on it already offer electric pontoon boats released September or August of this year. I’m sure Skidoo is testing electric sleds but they know the infrastructure isn’t available. Personally I think electric is cool as heck and performance is undoubtedly excellent but battery range ain’t there yet. Hopefully battery operating life will greatly improve and designers can be cognizant of weight issues for lawn equipment, cars, trucks, ATVs , boats and sleds. Imo it will happen when it happens. Make a better product and people will buy it because they want it.

600_RMK_144

Just saw on the news last night that the state of CA is BANNING ALL GAS LAWN EQUIPMENT by the year 2024. Yeah, I know it's CA, so take it for what it's worth. But I do fear that it's a sign of things to come.

euphoric1

Just saw on the news last night that the state of CA is BANNING ALL GAS LAWN EQUIPMENT by the year 2024. Yeah, I know it's CA, so take it for what it's worth. But I do fear that it's a sign of things to come.
yes but.... that is where all the emission restrictions we currently have started, It will take a while but what starts there will eventually end up here, and C.A.R.B's new law extends further than just lawn equipment...unfortunately