Electric Snowmobile

heckler56

The California ban looming seems a bit harsh but that is California. Many states out west have been under different water restrictions for 20 years or so and there aren’t the lawns/yards we enjoy in the midwest. Sadly all those mowers and blowers will go where? Landfill? Kind of a dumb approach.

I did a lithium battery update to my rv last year and you can draw power below freezing, you just should not charge them below 32. Now BattleBorn has come out with heated batteries but those use some of the electricity. My EV battery bank has a liquid heating/cooling system to combat charging and performance issues but that comes at a weight penalty.

The power of electric motors is seductive (but not visceral ). There will be specific purposes where they can work well. For me riding trails all day and going 200-300 miles it just wouldn’t work. EVs can be cost effective as you will charge at home 99% of the time. Once you try public charging the pricing goes upside down.

Interceptor

I think the electric market as a whole is intriguing. For snowmobiles , not so much. For all the reasons stated. Infrastructure for the desolate up north riders will be nonexistent for decades (For mass users).

durphee

In due time these will be a good option for some. Sure there will need to be infrastructure upgrades, it will start with one here and there and slowly change to meet the demands. I can see a small "jerry battery" getting you some distance just in case you run out. Charging speeds will be sped up, longevity extended, etc.. They will be just like anything else (phones, computers, engines) as each year they just get better and better.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
John, I could be wrong but I don't think manufacturers are allowed to hoard emission points to be used to offset units that don't meet current requirements. It will be interesting if the big 3 will join the game because when that happens we see even better products and more innovation.
They probably cannot hoard emission points, but there is a fleetwide average they have to meet. Having a zero emissions product in their lineup gives them quite a bit of extra to use on other products.

old abe

Brp is on it already offer electric pontoon boats released September or August of this year. I’m sure Skidoo is testing electric sleds but they know the infrastructure isn’t available. Personally I think electric is cool as heck and performance is undoubtedly excellent but battery range ain’t there yet. Hopefully battery operating life will greatly improve and designers can be cognizant of weight issues for lawn equipment, cars, trucks, ATVs , boats and sleds. Imo it will happen when it happens. Make a better product and people will buy it because they want it.
BRP has been developing E sleds for 6 years now. Battery Tech, and recharging, is advancing at warp speed.

whitedust

BRP has been developing E sleds for 6 years now. Battery Tech, and recharging, is advancing at warp speed.
Might be ....but so what without charging infrastructure and short range it’s useless. Snowmobiles will be gas powered in the near future maybe a limited electric offering in the future but NOT going to be a popular option with current limitations.

goofy600

I haven’t read into this sled but did it post what type of mileage they get. My thought is if it can get 150 for a charge it would be perfect for many. As for charging yes this is going to be the big problem as everyone has stated. If they can get charging to someways simple as just need an extension cord plug in it could become way more viable.

whitedust

I haven’t read into this sled but did it post what type of mileage they get. My thought is if it can get 150 for a charge it would be perfect for many. As for charging yes this is going to be the big problem as everyone has stated. If they can get charging to someways simple as just need an extension cord plug in it could become way more viable.
Think about it 150 miles is not much that’s 75 miles from home base 75 miles back that’s not much. What do baggers do from hotel to hotel and most don’t straight line like to take loops and see sights? Map out gas stops as needed. 300 mile range would get me back to base on most rides without recharging. Northwoods is going to have to have quick charging remote stations and hotels will need to be able to offer charging for all customers too. Electric sleds how ever intriguing ,are a long way off. First to come will be motor vehicles recreation to follow. No OEM is shipping electric sleds not ready for prime time.

goofy600

Think about it 150 miles is not much that’s 75 miles from home base 75 miles back that’s not much. What do baggers do from hotel to hotel and most don’t straight line like to take loops and see sights? Map out gas stops as needed. 300 mile range would get me back to base on most rides without recharging. Northwoods is going to have to have quick charging remote stations and hotels will need to be able to offer charging for all customers too. Electric sleds how ever intriguing ,are a long way off. First to come will be motor vehicles recreation to follow. No OEM is shipping electric sleds not ready for prime time.
Completely agree it is a long way off for the masses, but when they get charging faster it will be a game changer. As for mileage I know you don’t put 300 on without a stop so 150 recharge on your lunch 150 home, good day. For many 150 is a full day recharge overnight do it again. A lot of my riding is leave after work put 70-100 miles on then we are back to the house, weekend riding is longer but there are stops involved so that will be the big upgrade. Probably not really going to see much of it my riding lifetime but eventually it will be possible.

whitedust

Completely agree it is a long way off for the masses, but when they get charging faster it will be a game changer. As for mileage I know you don’t put 300 on without a stop so 150 recharge on your lunch 150 home, good day. For many 150 is a full day recharge overnight do it again. A lot of my riding is leave after work put 70-100 miles on then we are back to the house, weekend riding is longer but there are stops involved so that will be the big upgrade. Probably not really going to see much of it my riding lifetime but eventually it will be possible.
Yep need quick charge like 10 minutes at charging stations to be competitive with gas but that’s a technology hill to climb especially in subzero temps. We better hope gasoline is readily available at reasonable prices in the Northwoods to thrive for snowmobiling for a long time. The current federal administration is trying to force electric vehicles on an oil based economy cold turkey. This type of action can harm electric not help market acceptance. Currently little to no quick charging stations available, charge range is limited and no mass production of electric vehicles is pounding square peg in round hole. Electric should be a gradual smooth transition not forced on the public by limiting oil production totally out sync with market acceptance and electric vehicle maturity. If we want electric to thrive it has to be a seamless transition from oil. Also don’t think OPEC is going to lay down they will overproduce oil make consumption super cheap. Oil vs electric will be an epic market battle over many years.

goofy600

Yep need quick charge like 10 minutes at charging stations to be competitive with gas but that’s a technology hill to climb especially in subzero temps. We better hope gasoline is readily available at reasonable prices in the Northwoods to thrive for snowmobiling for a long time. The current federal administration is trying to force electric vehicles on an oil based economy cold turkey. This type of action can harm electric not help market acceptance. Currently little to no quick charging stations available, charge range is limited and no mass production of electric vehicles is pounding square peg in round hole. Electric should be a gradual smooth transition not forced on the public by limiting oil production totally out sync with market acceptance and electric vehicle maturity. If we want electric to thrive it has to be a seamless transition from oil. Also don’t think OPEC is going to lay down they will overproduce oil make consumption super cheap. Oil vs electric will be an epic market battle over many years.
Absolutely, I was in the electric industry for years and it starts in big cities and works it’s way out. Only good (or maybe bad depending on who you are) thing that has come from covid is people moving out of big cities which is forcing companies to start upgrading the infrastructures in the rural areas. Finally starting to get decent internet service up north, still a long way to go but it has started.

ddhanna

For you long haulers, probably not anytime soon. For me, a typical ride nowadays is a 50 mile jaunt. A 100 mile range would be safe 99.9% of the time. If need be, I have others I could ride but an EV could be primary. Just plug it into an extension cord when you get home and good to go next day. Sounds good to me. Just like current EV cars and trucks, they will have applications where they work and don't work. And they will only get better.

G

G

You have to remember the folks on JD are hard cores. I myself like to go for 300 mile jaunts. However we are not the typical riders. For the vast majority 100 miles would be plenty. That is why you can buy three year old sleds with 800 miles on them. Lots of trailer queens out there.

zltim

What is going to be done with all the junk batteries? I don't mean just snowmobile but all the cars/trucks. No one thinks about it. They don't last for ever but they are waste forever..

heckler56

What is going to be done with all the junk batteries? I don't mean just snowmobile but all the cars/trucks. No one thinks about it. They don't last for ever but they are waste forever..
Journalists and politicians will wake up once it becomes apparent. Then save us all from what we created. Lithium mining isn’t a big issue, right?

old abe

Journalists and politicians will wake up once it becomes apparent. Then save us all from what we created. Lithium mining isn’t a big issue, right?
Perhaps just as the Nuclear "waste" generated at Power Plants, eh? Good friend of mine was a crane operator on a nuke "refueling crew". What to do with it?

1fujifilm

After the Hummer drops, the GMC will have a competitor to the Ford..keeping my eyes open for that..who knows.

Bear