Electric Snowmobile

euphoric1

Journalists and politicians will wake up once it becomes apparent. Then save us all from what we created. Lithium mining isn’t a big issue, right?
Are lithium batteries even recyclable like led acid? is there anything left usable after it has spent its lifecycle as it is a completely different construct? or will we have mountains with buried waste under them like we do now with all the other nuclear and toxic materials, and this is beneficial to the environment how? when you read into and figure out what it takes to create, maintain and what of its afterlife the "carbon footprint" we are creating almost seems better for the environment that the road we are heading down. I don't know how many followed Al Gore but remember his theory about the environment? even won a peace prize for his work. He pushed the belief that we were destroying the environment and how the polar ice caps would have melted and disappeared in 5 years. With the advent of new fuels, far more efficient internal combustion engines, less emissions from manufacturing...what's changed? I don't see the advent of battery power changing anything as far as environment goes, in fact I think it won't solve anything, there is way more scientific and historical proof that the environment, world temperatures and weather is cyclical and unpredictable and trying to control or change it is just a wet dream we haven't realized yet.

G

G

Lithium batteries are not the only option to power the electro-vehicles of the future. There are many entities working on solid state batteries and 'salt' batteries and other tech we have never even heard of that does not involve rare and expensive minerals. The goal is to have a light battery with a low recharge time. What we have now is heavy batteries with recharge times that are not acceptable to most of the general public. That will change. Research is being done all over the world to come up with a solution. Somebody will figure it out. The electric vehicles for sale right now will have very little in common with the electric vehicles for sale in five years. Battery wise anyway.

whitedust

Lithium batteries are not the only option to power the electro-vehicles of the future. There are many entities working on solid state batteries and 'salt' batteries and other tech we have never even heard of that does not involve rare and expensive minerals. The goal is to have a light battery with a low recharge time. What we have now is heavy batteries with recharge times that are not acceptable to most of the general public. That will change. Research is being done all over the world to come up with a solution. Somebody will figure it out. The electric vehicles for sale right now will have very little in common with the electric vehicles for sale in five years. Battery wise anyway.
Yep that’s the way I see it too in time battery tech will greatly improve. In the meantime I’ll wait.

old abe

Spot on you are grub!

xsledder

...and I remember all the research going into superconductors back in the late 1980's and early 1990's while I was in school. I have not heard boo about superconductors recently. Have you? Had something to do with keeping them cold enough to work correctly. I also remember we would have ceramic engine blocks about this time when they were being developed back in the late 1980's. I don't see them either. Had something to do with the differential in expansion rates of different materials. I am not saying the "wonder" battery can or cannot be made. I hope they are able to make it. I would not be surprise that the technology to make them work correctly would be beyond our capability base on past experience about superconductors and some other promised technologies of the past.

G

G

They will figure it out. Then we will have snowmobiles that weigh less than 250 lbs with an extremely low center of gravity. The only noise will be track noise. 400 horsepower and five days of range. Think positive instead of negative.

xsledder

Not be negative, just a realist. I mean, you cannot beat the laws of physics, even if it is Newtonian physics. Look at computer processing power. We are at the highest oscillation rate that a silicon processor can handle without melting down. How are we making them faster, just throwing more transistors on the wafer. The metal inside the ICE can handle about 1,400 degrees F before the metals we are using fail. That was the whole point of ceramic engines, so they could run hotter and completely burn the fuel to reduce emissions. Like I said about the superconductor, they might figure it out but it would be impracticable to make. Remember, they got the superconductor to work only if it's temp is kept very cold. Impracticable for the everyday use. Also, remember, electric cars are heavier than ICE cars. The curb weight of the Hummer EV is a little over 9,000 lbs. while the weight of a 3/4 ton truck comes in at 6,000 lbs.

The heavier vehicles cause more wear on the road surface which causes more resurfacing of the roadways which uses more oil to resurface asphalt roads. Both in the machinery to resurface the roads and the bitumen used in the roads. Sorry for being a downer.

G

G

The manufacturers are aware that current EVs are heavy because of current battery tech. Being heavy they also require more expensive components like heavier frames and beefier shocks and overall more sturdy construction. Once battery tech evolves to the point where batteries are smaller and lighter the mfgrs will be able to build the cars and trucks lighter and cheaper again. Which is yet another reason so much effort in is being made to advance battery tech. Money. Imagine that.
Right now efforts are being made to have EV charging stations every 60 miles. Once that is achieved they will go for every 30 miles. Most of the charging will still take place at home so the only time a normal operator will need roadside charging is on extended trips.

This is not a new technology or way of life. Tesla drivers have been dealing with this for a decade already. If they can figure it out the rest of us surely can too.

Most of the issues raised on this thread have already been dealt with. Recycling used batteries is in the mix and should not be a concern. Cold and hot weather operation has been addressed. Instead of ramming around on this site with unfounded and obsolete opinions get on the interwebs and do your own research. There is much there to soak up.

saber1

Man always evolves from Tubes to micro chips to IC's from brick phones then bag phones to i phones From points to electronic ignition from going to the moon and now planning to go to Mars if u live long enough you will see it happen .I dont think we got this far as a nation by saying we dont think something is possible or we cant do it We once led the world in technology time to do it again.

heckler56

Did the EV auto thread go away with the new Website? I was hoping to post my now 1 year costs for those interested.

old abe

...and I remember all the research going into superconductors back in the late 1980's and early 1990's while I was in school. I have not heard boo about superconductors recently. Have you? Had something to do with keeping them cold enough to work correctly. I also remember we would have ceramic engine blocks about this time when they were being developed back in the late 1980's. I don't see them either. Had something to do with the differential in expansion rates of different materials. I am not saying the "wonder" battery can or cannot be made. I hope they are able to make it. I would not be surprise that the technology to make them work correctly would be beyond our capability base on past experience about superconductors and some other promised technologies of the past.
Some engines today, the cylinders are ceramic coated.

whitedust

Semiconductors we going great guns in early 80s all the high end chips made in USA. Mid 80s the low end chips started to move to Asia USA started to feel the hit across the board on processing equipment but high end was still here. When I left semiconductors in mid 90s USA was feeling the losses big time but still had a firm hold on high end chips. I left the industry and never looked back didn’t keep track of industry trends and thought Intel was still the leader. It has become painfully obvious that’s not true anymore. How in the hell our government allowed this to happen boggles my mind? Certain technologies have to stay here for USA to be productive. Hopefully we can get back on track with USA made chips. Fabs take years to build and Government should help subsidize that would be money well spent and enormous ROI for all USA industries. Our leaders need to be shrewd business people not pie in the sky idealists that have no clue how to run a business.

G

G

Converted my reservation into an actual order for my 2022 Ford Lightning. I will be among the first to actually get a Lightning. I ordered a Larger. There are very few options. They come pretty much loaded up. Just short of $80,000 before any available rebates and $7500 federal tax rebate. There might be a MN tax incentive too. Don't know for sure but it might be in play. Also I may get some kind of a Ford rebate since I have bought do many Ford's. We will see. My loaded up 18 Lariat FX4 Is equipped very close to the new Lightning. It was just short of $70,000. So after the rebates and tax credits the cost will be very close. I see Chev has announced their electric pickup. Similarity equiped it comes in at $105,000. A King Ranch is right around $90,000. The Chev is supposed to go 100 miles more on a charge but you pay for it. Rivian getting good press. Tesla keeps pushing back the cybertruck. The Hummer is coming but it will also be six figures. Things are heating up.

G

G

Taiga has begun production on their electric snowmobile. There are three or four models. They start at $15000. They have reservations for 2500. They go between 70 and 100 miles on a charge. They don't weigh that much more than our current rides. I would not be surprised to see one out on the trails next season. Doo working on electric sled. Pol has electric Ranger now. You can be sure electric sled on the way. It is happening.

whitedust

Read in snowtech today Doo working on limited electric sleds understand emodels will have a specific market segment other segments not practical. As I posted previously eboat line launched late summer early Fall. E technology will greatly improve in coming years. I can wait.

xsledder

The manufacturers are aware that current EVs are heavy because of current battery tech. Being heavy they also require more expensive components like heavier frames and beefier shocks and overall more sturdy construction. Once battery tech evolves to the point where batteries are smaller and lighter the mfgrs will be able to build the cars and trucks lighter and cheaper again. Which is yet another reason so much effort in is being made to advance battery tech. Money. Imagine that.
Right now efforts are being made to have EV charging stations every 60 miles. Once that is achieved they will go for every 30 miles. Most of the charging will still take place at home so the only time a normal operator will need roadside charging is on extended trips.

This is not a new technology or way of life. Tesla drivers have been dealing with this for a decade already. If they can figure it out the rest of us surely can too.

Most of the issues raised on this thread have already been dealt with. Recycling used batteries is in the mix and should not be a concern. Cold and hot weather operation has been addressed. Instead of ramming around on this site with unfounded and obsolete opinions get on the interwebs and do your own research. There is much there to soak up.
You completely misunderstood the reply about the weight of EV's. I don't care about beefier or better components on the car or truck. I care about the physics the heavier vehicle will have on the longevity of the road surface. Heavier cars or trucks apply more friction force on the aggregate and bitumin or Portland cement that makes up the road through the contact of the rubber tire to the roadway surface through turning movements and propelling the vehicle forwards or backwards. (Formula Ff = μ m ag) I am sure Telsa has not been looking into the impacts of heavier cars on the roadway surface for decades. Until they figure it out how to make them lighter, there will be a negative impact to the roads. I could bring up more on the impacts heavier cars and trucks will have on the road, but I am sure my 30+ years designing, inspecting, and constructing roads means nothing to you. Do you still think I don't know what I am talking about?