Electric Snowmobile

xsledder

Some engines today, the cylinders are ceramic coated.
Ceramic coating is not the same as the article I read in Popular Mechanics in the late '80. They were talking about ceramic blocks and other ceramic parts. I was not expecting ceramic engines because it did not make much sense to me, however, the article was a good entertaining read.

G

G

You completely misunderstood the reply about the weight of EV's. I don't care about beefier or better components on the car or truck. I care about the physics the heavier vehicle will have on the longevity of the road surface. Heavier cars or trucks apply more friction force on the aggregate and bitumin or Portland cement that makes up the road through the contact of the rubber tire to the roadway surface through turning movements and propelling the vehicle forwards or backwards. (Formula Ff = μ m ag) I am sure Telsa has not been looking into the impacts of heavier cars on the roadway surface for decades. Until they figure it out how to make them lighter, there will be a negative impact to the roads. I could bring up more on the impacts heavier cars and trucks will have on the road, but I am sure my 30+ years designing, inspecting, and constructing roads means nothing to you. Do you still think I don't know what I am talking about?
I understand what you were saying and I agree totally. My post was poorly constructed. Let me try again.
The current and on the horizon EV mfgrs are well aware that batteries in in their current form are heavy. At this time it is a necessary evil. They are also very much aware of the general public's perception of limited range and scarcity of charging stations. The concerns of the people on this forum are the same concerns the vast majority of the general public has.

But...

The end game for EVs is not heavy, short range, environment unfriendly batteries. Battery tech is evolving daily and there are people and entities all over the world making advancements every day. In five years the EVs we have right now will be hopelessly obsolete. But for now they are stepping stones to get there.
In five years the batteries will be smaller and there will be vehicles that will go 1000 miles on a charge. Re-charging times will be greatly reduced. It is going to look a lot different than it does now.
I understand about roadway degradation. I am in farm country and am on the township board. Right now there is a big war going on over the damage the semi trucks running ' super singles ' vs traditional dual tires. The super singles wreck our township roads. Especially overloaded super singles. But that is a different subject for a different day.

EVs are coming. We are in transition. There is much to improve and sort out before widespread adoption will occur. In the end good old fashioned money will be the determining factor.

When it is cheaper to drive an EV than it is to drive an ICE vehicle and the inconveniences are reduced to nothing the transition will occur rather quickly. And every single day that goes by we are getting closer to that tipping point.

G

G

Just as there have been ' horsepower' wars and 'mileage' wars between all the various mfgrs there will be 'range' wars between the EV mfgrs. It is already happening. The new Ford goes 300 miles. The new Chev goes 400. And so on. What is old is new again. Except now there will be a lot more overseas competition. Which is great. More to choose from. There are going to be more choices than we have ever had. It is going to be a fun time to be alive.

euphoric1

has there been any info or spec on recharge time duration? and or if they will require a specific type of charging station or specialized infrastructure or will an extension cord be coming out of the bar or restaurant with a power strip and multiple sleds plugged into it. I know too early to say on some of this but would be really curious on how long it takes to recharge lets say if you pull into a place and have only 10% battery left.

heckler56

has there been any info or spec on recharge time duration? and or if they will require a specific type of charging station or specialized infrastructure or will an extension cord be coming out of the bar or restaurant with a power strip and multiple sleds plugged into it. I know too early to say on some of this but would be really curious on how long it takes to recharge lets say if you pull into a place and have only 10% battery left.
Level 1 charging: ~14 hours
Level 2 charging: ~3 hours
Level 3 charging: ~30 minutes

Level 1 is an standard home outlet. Level 2 is a 240v 50amp plug ( my home charger is level 2). Level 3 would be commercial.

The current sled is estimated at 20~25kwh. My EV is 95kwh with a claimed range in the showroom as 300 miles. Real world likely maybe 200 miles.

timo

I'd be interested to know what the resale value is on these.
After X amount of years and the battery is half of what it was do you just replace it?
Does the battery cost to replace out weigh buying a new vehicle?

euphoric1

After X amount of years and the battery is half of what it was do you just replace it?
Agreed, as we all know when our cordless tools quit its more times cheaper to buy a whole new tool than a replacement battery. And I will admit I'm not as knowledgeable as most on the EV subject, but I have heard that in the automotive industry the batteries lose 10% of their lifespan each year. Now if this applies as well to all other forms of EV's what will they be worth after let's say 5 or 6 years when half or more of their battery life is gone? on trade in or resale? and just like everything else batteries are not getting any cheaper. I also find heckler56's response on recharging times very interesting. And now I know all of this is still in its infancy and things are still morphing and progressing but the fact of the matter is we are still a long way off of being replaced by these EV's. And would be curious to know what replacement battery clusters cost for EV's

old abe

Yeah, well, perhaps just as the snowmobiles today react to x amount of years resale values? May have higher resale $$$, as the Edrive should not need as much mantainence?

heckler56

Go to youtube and there is a guy in Norway or Finland that had to have the whole battery pack on a 2013 Telsa replaced, $22k. He had the car blowup with dynamite.

heckler56

Battery packs can/should have individual cells that you replace the bad cell and not the complete battery pack. Some manufacturers cars can not replace a cell. I know my Audi and I believe Tesla can replace cells whereas the Bolt is complete battery pack.
Used values are insane just like everything else. On lithium it is better to only charge to 80% of full capacity. The advantage to lithium is you can run it down to say 3%-10% before it uses any of it’s 3k-7k recharge cycles. Stay above 10% and don’t charge above 80% and the degradation is minimal. My Audi is guaranteed to not degrade by more than 10% in 8 years.

G

G

The Taiga carries it's battery under the seat. It looks like it would be an easy swap out. Perhaps the plan is not to recharge on the trail but swap your spent battery for a charged one. That is what is happening with scooter companies overseas.
A pit stop in the Northwoods could have a whole rack of batteries slow charging all week to get ready for the weekend. When the hoards came on the weekend and depleted their initial battery a simple swap would get them going again in a hurry. Not unlike switching a used up propane tank for a full one. Of course if would help if all the mfgrs could settle on a standard and uniform battery configuration.
Such a business with say, 400 batteries all charged up and ready to go would quickly become a destination for E sleds. A really good place for a bar. Or a restaurant. Or a hotel.