Electric vehicle

katden4

Things are moving this direction. Like it or not. I would like to hear from folks who have one, and what the pros and cons are. If its rated for 250 miles, does is make all 250? More? Less? If you drive it hard, 175? what about the electric bill? How much did you see it clime? What was the cost for the charging station? Does bad weather effect it much? All sorts of questions, and I currently don't have anyone I know that has one. What about the Polaris EV Ranger? EV motorcycles? I know there are even boat motors now. All I am experienced with is the battery tool category. Please let us know the pros and cons.

SledTL

Multiple co-wokers have teslas, one has a bolt. Key note here, they only use them to commute in the twin cities, and do not own any toys or towables. The guy with the bolt commutes from St. Cloud to Mpls and actually figured out he will pay for the car in a few years just based off of the gas savings and it solely is a 2nd car for him (has an F250 for sleds). Because they are only driving 30-40 miles roundtrip the range is honestly not a concern. Drive it for a few days before plugging in, and if needed do it every night. They see a drop in the winter, but even on the -20 degree days we had this year it wasn't any concern for daily useage. Battery has internal warming that keeps it at a minimum temp throughout the day. From what I understand the electric bill hasn't really climbed nearly as much as they thought but kw are rather cheap in the metro. Driving the car hard is no different than watching your mpg drop going from red light to red light, same goes for the temperature with mpg. Home charge points depend on how much work your garage has done to it. Its fairly straightforward to step up to 220v, but I think it is a couple grand to get a charger professionally installed. EV powersports are different in my opinion since energy density is such a concern. Gas will reign supreme for awhile due to power to weight ratios.

heckler56

Mine is a BEV and have had it 1 1/2 years. TL provided some insights all true. We live outside of a larger rural town with allot of hills. Going in town I can cycle regenerative braking to charge the batteries a little, coming home uphill. My home electric cost is a blended 16 cents a kwh and if I ever charged away from home that cost would be double. It is a great grocery getter and with gas/diesel pricing going everywhere we are still at 16 cents.

I wanted to test it last November going to the Novi snowshow but the “infotainment screen went blank”. So no long trips. Not sure I will ever long trip one unless I could careless on when I get there or return. Filling up is sitting somewhere every 3 hours or so for at least 1/2 hour.

So all of your accessories are electric and you are basically driving a very expensive PC or iPad. Winter running the heater along with the batteries antifreeze style warmers, and as we know batteries have less capacity in winter your range will likely go down by 20%.

Ever have a computer reboot or go bad? As I mentioned about the infotainment system it was an automatic upgrade that had a glitch. To correct it was a 2 month wait and it needed to go in for a full system upload. That next update had a glitch which resulted in another bring it in once they write new code and by the way service is 1 month out.

Things many never think about: if you are out in a rural area we frequently lose home electric so we have a backup generator. Make sure your backup generator can handle the EV charging profile! I am okay since I have a 22kwh back up but when I plug in you know it. Something I never thought of was winter and no warm engine. What I mean is if snow builds up on the hood it isn’t melting off unless you have a heated garage. Ever see a lithium battery fire? Understand if plugging it in in a garage and it goes be prepared to run quick cuz your house will go very very quickly. The final drawback is can your electric grid and utility transformer handle the power draw. I have to wonder how all the Californians running from wildfires created by the grid failures have their car fully charged to be on the road in an instant and drive off.

One other life adjustment, so you forget to charge or you figure the remaining state of charge is good for tomorrow and then life throws you a curve, always have a ICE vehicle as backup unless you live in a city.

So all that is the downside the media doesn’t talk about today but will once we are forced to switch. I figured all these at the onset and set my expectations accordingly. I may have made it sound bleak for us rural folk but it is perfect for what we bought it for.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I foresee a gradual transition despite the current political climate. Sounds like they'd be fine as a second or even third vehicle. Grocery getter, running the kids to practice, etc. Then as technology advances, and it will, they'll become a larger segment of everyday vehicles.

mrbb

I also would; think there is risks of being stuck in traffic, , say an accident or road work
4 times this yr alone I have been stuck on a 70 mile trip for over an hour, sitting DEAD on the HI way, no way off, and just stuck ?
twice in winter time, and twice in summer , where I had Heat running and AC running!
what happens when an E vehicle isn;t at full charge
how long can they run AC, heater off say MID charged battery!?

no bash honestly asking, as I see this as a some what common issue on road ways!
I'd also wonder why more E vehicles don't have solar charging panels on roof, trucks and hoods and such, seems like a option that could only help them!

whitedust

Solar panels add weight not much good without sun , covered in snow and rain ice and hazard to car wash just off the top of my head. Maybe some day.

mrbb

Solar panels add weight not much good without sun , covered in snow and rain ice and hazard to car wash just off the top of my head. Maybe some day.
I get that stuff, but the hood and such is there sun shinning or not and really doesn;t do much on regular vehicles,
so, even if it only worked when sunny and not covered with snow,(ice and rain doesn;t seem to effect my solar lights I have have, and how often is that really in the big picture )
wouldn;t it be a help on saving emissions on using man made power to replace even some of its power?
a car parked for 8+ hours in a sunny parking lot I gather could suck up some energy if it had solar panels to do so!
they sell solar battery maintainers and chargers and they work?
rather small as to what could be on a vehicle 's hood, trunk and roof?
after all if the game is using as little emissions to power things, seems like its something there missing out on tapping into to help with the agenda no? every little bit helps NO??

G

G

Solar panels have not evolved to the point where covering a car with them would amount to diddly. Maybe someday. But not yet. Musk even says it is a bad idea. And he would probably know.

G

G

I also would; think there is risks of being stuck in traffic, , say an accident or road work
4 times this yr alone I have been stuck on a 70 mile trip for over an hour, sitting DEAD on the HI way, no way off, and just stuck ?
twice in winter time, and twice in summer , where I had Heat running and AC running!
what happens when an E vehicle isn;t at full charge
how long can they run AC, heater off say MID charged battery!?

no bash honestly asking, as I see this as a some what common issue on road ways!
I'd also wonder why more E vehicles don't have solar charging panels on roof, trucks and hoods and such, seems like a option that could only help them!
Absolutely no different than running out of gas in a traffic jam. Gas or EV you shut it down if you are at a standstill with low fuel.

old abe

Absolutely no different than running out of gas in a traffic jam. Gas or EV you shut it down if you are at a standstill with low fuel.
Spot on! When you're out of whatever, you're out, eh! Battery charge, gas, fuel, Whiskey , Rum, Beer, whatever, You're out!

dfattack

I don't want to speak for MRBB but I would imagine he was suggesting that running heat and air off a battery could/would possibly wear down the battery more than a gas engine would go through fuel in the same circumstance. I think it's a fair question considering there isn't a lot of knowledge about these situations.

G

G

On an EV you are running a heat pump. Instant heat or cool. On an ICE if it were winter you would first have to run the engine long enough to actually generate heat. There was testing done in winter conditions and it was found that it was the most efficient to just run the heated seats to keep warm. There are two schools of thought with regards as to who would run out of gas or electricity first. It is closer than most people think and it is not a new topic. Remember that there have been Tesla's running around for over a decade now. Much has been learned. But as has been stated - you are always going to have people that run out of fuel / battery power. Just human nature. I would venture a guess that for the people that have never run out of fuel the same people will have no trouble adapting to the new twist of EVs. And the people that make a habit of running out of gas will continue to have trouble in an EV world.

whitedust

I get that stuff, but the hood and such is there sun shinning or not and really doesn;t do much on regular vehicles,
so, even if it only worked when sunny and not covered with snow,(ice and rain doesn;t seem to effect my solar lights I have have, and how often is that really in the big picture )
wouldn;t it be a help on saving emissions on using man made power to replace even some of its power?
a car parked for 8+ hours in a sunny parking lot I gather could suck up some energy if it had solar panels to do so!
they sell solar battery maintainers and chargers and they work?
rather small as to what could be on a vehicle 's hood, trunk and roof?
after all if the game is using as little emissions to power things, seems like its something there missing out on tapping into to help with the agenda no? every little bit helps NO??
I’m amazed at regenerative braking not sure how that works but very cool. There will be charging technology in 5-10 years we never thought would work including solar.

mrbb

I don't want to speak for MRBB but I would imagine he was suggesting that running heat and air off a battery could/would possibly wear down the battery more than a gas engine would go through fuel in the same circumstance. I think it's a fair question considering there isn't a lot of knowledge about these situations.
that was my reason for asking
as I was wondering how much power is run down while sitting for say 30 minutes with heat or AC on
and I get the fact some folks will always run out of fuel, be it a battery or liquid fuel

BUT there is a much simpler way to fix a GAS or Diesel vehicle that ran out over an electric vehicle!
no FAST charge YET out there to get a E vehicle up and running road side due to OUT of fuel, !!~

where it might take a LONG time to CHARGE to get off a road way!, some exits are many miles apart!

and just saying, many folks that have say an E vehicle and know it has a "X" amount of range, I would gather most KNOW where there charging NEXT, and will run things to close to where they need to charge, just like a person with a gas/diesel motor will

thus I was asking about the WHAT if, you get stuck in traffic!

I can see how a E vehicle is almost instant HEAT or maybe AC
as to needing to Warm a gas/diesel motor
but how long can the E vehicle run things and at what power loss, was my question!

in dead of winter just shutting heat off isn;t an option and I will gather NOT all E vehicles will have heated seats, just like all regular vehicles do not
and in VERY cold temps, just a heated seat isn;t going to keep all in a vehicle warm period!

as for solar panels??
I know for a fact they make one's that roll up and will run /charge certain things, l they been about for quite a while, for folks living off grid and off roader's that live in there vehicles for extended periods of time, and have many electrical appliance's , from heaters to refrigerators/freezers, coffee makers and so on! ??
so, I would find this rather hard to believe , even right now!!,

Solar panels have not evolved to the point where covering a car with them would amount to diddl

as if you figure the SQ ft of area on the hood, trunk and roof, of most vehicles today, there is a LOT of sapce there for many solar panels
maybe not enough to RUN the vehicle on, but I'd have to think it could CHARGE some, all the more so if parked for 8+ hours while working a job!
just saying and asking, NO bash here!~

G

G

A person can get into a lot of what ifs. What if your serpentine belt breaks? Can't run your ICE no matter how much gas you have. What if your transmission says no more? What if the thing just won't start for any number of reasons? What if you are upside down in the ditch with your ICE vehicle? Won't run then.
There are a lot less critical and moving parts in an EV. Less to go wrong. Less to maintain. Less to fix. Which also translates into cheaper to operate.

Again, Tesla's have been around for over a decade. Tesla owners are among the happiest car buyers out there. Even with all the so called issues. There is really only one valid issue. And that is range anxiety. And that is getting better every single day as more charging sites get up and running.

mrbb

A person can get into a lot of what ifs. What if your serpentine belt breaks? Can't run your ICE no matter how much gas you have. What if your transmission says no more? What if the thing just won't start for any number of reasons? What if you are upside down in the ditch with your ICE vehicle? Won't run then.
There are a lot less critical and moving parts in an EV. Less to go wrong. Less to maintain. Less to fix. Which also translates into cheaper to operate.

Again, Tesla's have been around for over a decade. Tesla owners are among the happiest car buyers out there. Even with all the so called issues. There is really only one valid issue. And that is range anxiety. And that is getting better every single day as more charging sites get up and running.
well I have broken a serpentine belt and was still able to drive home< no power steering, but it didnt; cause motor to stop running , just saying, been there done that!

and yes a Lot of what if's

BUT the fact is simple, we DO get stuck in traffic rather common, its not a WHAT IF DEAL
it happens often!
just like folks that have a Gas/diesel motor's , tend to know how far they can go on there fuel level, and many do push things to CLOSE to there limits, But most ICE vehicles have a longer limit/miles , so many can with stand extra unplanned for down time
, and jets just SAY< folks tend to fill up at a 1/4 tank
that 1/4 tank of fuel will last an hour or more at idling, stuck in traffic, and again IF it ran out, a simple can of fuel gets it back going

so, what I was asking, is HOW long can a WE Vehicle run its HEAT or AC
as lets say the average E vehicle has a 200 mile range, and folks plan to STOP and fill it at the 1/4 mark(150 mile mark)
as after all that's just 2 hrs of driving, if say on a trip some place, is rather common I would think
and planning to stop at the 150 mile mark and NOT push things to closer to MAX range!
same as most do in ICE vehicles!

NOW< traffic jams happen and are not always avoidable

SO< if this happens, , HOW Long would a E vehicle run the heat, AC
seems like a simple question? and a common occurrence on hi ways and Bi ways of the USA!
not asking for a debate or an argument here, just honest INFO!

harvest1121

I have looked into Tesla but for the money Toyota hybrids make sense for me. Had a 2021 Corolla hybrid that I averaged 56 mpg. Drove for 23k and traded in for a Camry Hybrid where I average 50 to work and back. Usually about 45 on my trips to Minocqua. A lot could be done in this technology first before the big guy wants us to drive electric. I do have a F150 and Toyota 4 runner so I do like my gas vehicles. Until electric can tow 400 miles not interested in it.

G

G

Simple answer. They are all different. If you have a long range EV you will have more battery capacity than if you buy a shorter range model. I guess if you plan to be in a traffic jam every day you better have something with a bigger battery. I am 63 and have probably averaged 20000 miles a year for the last 45 years and I have never been in a traffic jam where I have had to sit more than 15 minutes.

I have driven a demo Lightning. There is a place on the dash that is always on that tells you how many miles you have left before empty. I am assuming it is better than a 'low fuel' idiot light. Ford has been ahead of a lot of the other mfgrs as far as low fuel/miles to go indicaters for quite awhile.

It was an XLT Lightning demo that I drove. When my Lariat gets here in addition to the low battery/miles to go indicaters it will also have navigation which will show available charging options. In fact you could punch in a journey to New Mexico and the nav will pick out charging destinations all the way there before you even depart. And there is a built in cushion to allow for variables like wind and speeding and heat and cold and I suppose TRAFFIC JAMS.

Come to think of it the nav system on my 18 Lariat will route me around traffic jams and accidents and road closures.

G

G

There are currently 225 charging facilities in Michigan. By 2030 there will be 10000. They are already mostly funded by Congress in a bill passed last year. The switch will occur. There is really not much to debate .

mrbb

so there is no average way to know use of power from running AC or heat on a E vehicle?
in the past 50 days I have twice been stuck in traffic jams, where I was stuck for over a 1/2 hour, one time took 45 minutes to just go 3 miles, and NO way to turn around or leave where I was at ( trust em I'd of lived too)
its a rather common occurrence here where I live!

I used to drive 50,000+ miles a yr for several decades, and have been in traffic jams all over the USA! mostly due to car accidents, which, there is NO way to know there coming!
road construction, things are getting better with social media and reports to help avoid, but not always possible
and many detours take you off the beaten path, and are many miles long to get back to the HI way!
thus why I asked
I feel its a honest question and concern! for E vehicles!
as like I said, IF one runs out of power, its not as easy a fix as just getting a can of fuel?