Favorite stops from back in the day..

Magnumb

ooooh yeah! Blink Bonnies for sure! and Gateway Lodge! introduced to me by venturenorth last year!
Yes! Love that Gateway, what a cool lodge and bar and great place to basecamp. Can sit by that incredible fireplace, then have a decent meal, grab a drink after then hit up the hot tub

A little info about the Gateway Lodge:

In the late 1930s, The King's Gateway Inn, the King's Gateway Hotel, the Gateway Golf Course, the Gateway Airport, Gateway Ski Hill and Chalet, Gateway Ski Jump, and Riding Stables came into existence. Built by Detroit theater magnate, John H. King, and designed by Milwaukee architect, Henry Messmer, the Gateway Complex was built from 1937 to 1939, and accelerated the development of the business district of Land 0' Lakes.

The King's Gateway Resort Complex was a premier year-round resort destination in the Midwest.

Mr. King died January 2, 1952, and Mrs. King continued to operate the complex until Feb. 17, 1961. The property was then sold to Mr. Walter Williamson, owner of the Wagon Wheel in Rockton, Illinois. The airport was eventually turned over to the town of Land O’Lakes by King's widow, Sarah King, under the auspices of the King's Gateway Corp. The original airport terminal was then moved north, across County B, to become the clubhouse for the Gateway Golf Club. A new Airport terminal was erected.

Last edited:

jr37

There was a place south of Krupps ,called Jake's. This goes back along way ,but the owner had a live cougar "not a women" in the bar. Somewhere I have Pics of it. Was a fun stop!
Jake had at least 1 hook for a hand, and didn't he have a false leg also.

Last edited:

favoritos

Anybody ever make it to Ashe Hole in Marinesco? The name fit. I can't remember the owner's name, but he was a character.

bobt

I think a place not only has to have good (decent) food but also in a strategic location for taking a break. I'm not a drinker so don't care about the bar. I like hilltop in L'Anse and Up North lodge in Gwinn. Third place is the Thunder bay inn in Big Bay.
X2 on Thunder Bay Inn

snoden

For now yeah. There are a number of issues going on there but the biggest is that the seasonal road that is used to get gas to it has some significant wash outs so that you can't get gas to it. They've also had troubles finding operators and the building is in need of some TLC. It would probably be best if it could be reconstructed closer to the main road up there, perhaps by turning that seasonal road to an access trail, and maybe even cutting out the lodging and just running it as gas and food for certain hours. Would love to see a more permanent solution as it opens up a lot of good riding to have it open. They still maintain the trail but you need to carry gas.
Know the trail very well, 155 miles from Searchmont to Wawa. Back in 2004 I hit a rock on the powerline a mile or so from Halfway Haven coming from Wawa, busted a trailing arm in half. The owner wanted $500 US dollars to take me to Searchmomt. We started looking around his garage and found a fence post, couple hours later using some nuts and bolts, duct tape and some rope I rode it back to Searchmont...thank god for Ranger Rd.

Last edited:

dwz

Favorite new place for our group Boondock Inn Twin Lake, awesome food and drinks along with great service!

Hoosier

Know the trail very well, 155 miles from Searchmont to Wawa. Back in 2004 I hit a rock on the powerline a mile or so from Halfway Haven coming from Wawa, busted a trailing arm in half. The owner wanted $500 US dollars to take me to Searchmomt. We started looking around his garage and found a fence post, couple hours later using some nuts and bolts, duct tape and some rope I rode it back to Searchmont...thank god for Ranger Rd.

I broke a torsion spring on my fusion one trip up there. Didn't have much choice but I kept riding it and made sure I stood up if there were any bumps. It wasn't too bad on one spring. But on the last leg of the loop on the way back to the truck in Searchmont and about a mile from Halfway Haven, the other torsion spring broke. So the suspension was just sitting on the bump stops. I didn't think I could ride it anymore so we talked to Sean about options to get it out to a road. He showed us a map and there's really not much in options that are closer to a road then to continue the way we were going toward Searchmont. Or I could leave it there and they might be able to get it out with a groomer or the next time the road was graded. But this was the last day of our trip and we all needed to get back home. He had a sled we could use if we had to tow it but he needed it back afterwards since he liked to keep it onsite in case some other sled needed to get towed. So we decided to ride it the rest of the way down to Searchmont. Just took it easy and avoided bumps and we made it. I was worried something else was going to break to the extent the sled would be unrideable but we took the chance.

Lots of good times out of halfway. Sometimes we stayed there, sometimes just passed through. I hope they can figure out how to get it open again but that road needs attention before they can do much.

Yes! Love that Gateway, what a cool lodge and bar and great place to basecamp. Can sit by that incredible fireplace, then have a decent meal, grab a drink after then hit up the hot tub

A little info about the Gateway Lodge:

In the late 1930s, The King's Gateway Inn, the King's Gateway Hotel, the Gateway Golf Course, the Gateway Airport, Gateway Ski Hill and Chalet, Gateway Ski Jump, and Riding Stables came into existence. Built by Detroit theater magnate, John H. King, and designed by Milwaukee architect, Henry Messmer, the Gateway Complex was built from 1937 to 1939, and accelerated the development of the business district of Land 0' Lakes.

The King's Gateway Resort Complex was a premier year-round resort destination in the Midwest.

Mr. King died January 2, 1952, and Mrs. King continued to operate the complex until Feb. 17, 1961. The property was then sold to Mr. Walter Williamson, owner of the Wagon Wheel in Rockton, Illinois. The airport was eventually turned over to the town of Land O’Lakes by King's widow, Sarah King, under the auspices of the King's Gateway Corp. The original airport terminal was then moved north, across County B, to become the clubhouse for the Gateway Golf Club. A new Airport terminal was erected.
Nice info...I remember my parents took us to the Wagon Wheel in Rockton for dinners when we were kids,.....
Probably what got me hooked on the rustic life we enjoyed later in Wisconsin . Sure miss that place.

jedoyle

Many years ago while riding in Northern WI we took a "wrong turn" & ended up @ Bent's Camp outside Lando. What a cool place on the water. Just don't make it down there much since we mostly ride the UP these days.