Gas

whitedust

I have a question, probably for grub any idea of what the average price is at a pay charging station is to get a recharge?
Yes I tried to find out the same difference prices for different set ups and type of charge and EV. Also doesn’t seem to be a full 10 minute charge available anywhere around here. Nothing like a pull up fill your ICE gas tank and good to go anytime anywhere. Maybe with time and more infrastructure quick charge will improve but scarce now.

warner

so i roll up to a charging station with my EV car..line is ten deep and it takes 10 minutes for each to get to 80%....oh boy, can't wait for that.

goofy600

Point to my first question is besides our government and certain places (woodman’s) trying to drum up business giving it away now, at some point including now it is going to be for profit and how is that going to be regulated. Yes certain areas the infrastructure will be able to handle it but it will take decades for all areas to be able to handle the extra load. Refueling stations will start adding charging stations but small areas again will be last to see anything. Heck they promised us high speed internet (fiber optic) starting in 2022 and like everything else not a sign in sight probably won’t be until 24-25 if you ask me. So have no problem with EV just except the small towns and the little people to get screwed on this and pay for it like always, especially when it’s forced on us and not by choice.

snobuilder

hybrids were the best solution . Who are the Knuckleheads that shut down that idea because all I hear about now strictly is the EV platform which severely limits your freedom to move about as in the past. .More restrictions on freedom . There seems to be a theme here. I will stick with the freedom I have and fill up for a 600 mile trip in about 7 minutes start to finish which includes a Sun drop and a slim jim....

whitedust

hybrids were the best solution . Who are the Knuckleheads that shut down that idea because all I hear about now strictly is the EV platform which severely limits your freedom to move about as in the past. .More restrictions on freedom . There seems to be a theme here. I will stick with the freedom I have and fill up for a 600 mile trip in about 7 minutes start to finish which includes a Sun drop and a slim jim....
Although I agree hybrids are the logical bridge to EVs the Democrats do not agree. They want zero emissions and hybrids are both ice and EV therefore NOT zero emissions they dislike hybrids. Democrats have no bridge plan it’s always been cold turkey change ice to EV with out a product stream or charging infrastructure. The change to EV is evolution with improved technology and charging infrastructure not revolution today. I do believe we will gradually evolve to EVs in 10 years but much longer for industry heavy equipment, ships , trains and other diesels. Oil will be around for my lifetime for sure

goofy600

Funny thing is a train is half way to being a hybrid, it’s Diesel engines powering electric motors that propel the train. So just add a bunch of extra cars to carry batteries and put solar panels on top of all cars and there you go. Then charging stations along the tracks and all set. Sounds easy doesn’t it.🤪

whitedust

Funny thing is a train is half way to being a hybrid, it’s Diesel engines powering electric motors that propel the train. So just add a bunch of extra cars to carry batteries and put solar panels on top of all cars and there you go. Then charging stations along the tracks and all set. Sounds easy doesn’t it.🤪
Excellent idea Jim but Democrats want only zero emission solutions. Their resistance to productive comprise will destroy their party. Complete airheads imo opinion can’t wait for midterm elections to boot them out return to a sane Congress.

G

G

The first goal is to have chargers every 50 miles. After that is accomplished then build them every 25. And by then they will all be fast chargers and we won't need any more. Charging rates depend on many things. Regional power rates, time of day and promotions going on. Tesla already has a system that directs you to an open charger rather than waiting in line. In a short time there will be many EVs out there to buy. They will entice you with promotions like free charging for six months. Stuff like that will be commonplace.

As far as trains haven't you ever heard of the third rail. Old technology.

As far as farms the sheer torque of electric will make them very enticing for farmers.

There will always be a place for heavy diesel in in heavy industry. That is not what I am referring to. Just passenger vehicles.

In ten years or less autonomous passenger vehicles will also be commonplace. Ford already has Bluecruise and GM has their own system and of course Tesla has their own system. One of the problems with all the systems is that they can't recognize non-autonimous vehicles. If they were to get rid of all the non-autonimous vehicles everything would work better. One more reason to take older ICE vehicles off the road. So that is most definitely out there too. Your collector '68 Chevelle SS won't be allowed on most roads either.

There is a push now by rural electric co-op s to build charging stations. I know that because I am part of a group that is building one right now. We will have the first one in the county and it will be up and running by the end of the year.

And lastly everyone Google CATL. The newest battery tech. Every day there are breakthroughs.

whitedust

Got you brain washed
Grub has bought in but if EV doesn’t do well he’ll say so. Right now all sunshine and butterflies which is ok but I don’t see the National supply chain not to mention the world supply chain to support any of this in the near future. Obviously democrats war on fossils fuels has driven the price of oil thru the roof which has forced very high inflation on everything. Cold Turkey isn’t and shouldn’t have been the plan but progressive democrats will be voted out in midterms and more out in 2024 election. We will convert to EV in time 10 years minimum 20 years maximum next 3 years impossible. I can wait my ice is fine for my uses many probably feel the same way.

mrbb

you
The first goal is to have chargers every 50 miles. After that is accomplished then build them every 25. And by then they will all be fast chargers and we won't need any more. Charging rates depend on many things. Regional power rates, time of day and promotions going on. Tesla already has a system that directs you to an open charger rather than waiting in line. In a short time there will be many EVs out there to buy. They will entice you with promotions like free charging for six months. Stuff like that will be commonplace.

As far as trains haven't you ever heard of the third rail. Old technology.

As far as farms the sheer torque of electric will make them very enticing for farmers.

There will always be a place for heavy diesel in in heavy industry. That is not what I am referring to. Just passenger vehicles.

In ten years or less autonomous passenger vehicles will also be commonplace. Ford already has Bluecruise and GM has their own system and of course Tesla has their own system. One of the problems with all the systems is that they can't recognize non-autonimous vehicles. If they were to get rid of all the non-autonimous vehicles everything would work better. One more reason to take older ICE vehicles off the road. So that is most definitely out there too. Your collector '68 Chevelle SS won't be allowed on most roads either.

There is a push now by rural electric co-op s to build charging stations. I know that because I am part of a group that is building one right now. We will have the first one in the county and it will be up and running by the end of the year.

And lastly everyone Google CATL. The newest battery tech. Every day there are breakthroughs.
diesel has been a fuel for a LONG time now, and yet only about half the fuel stations here carry it!
I also just watched a few youtube videos on the ford lighting, and in all of them, the truck took WAY longer than 10 minutes to charge, as a fact, several took 45-60 minutes!
which to me says a few things, could be the charging station, or could be the fact like most window stickers, them lie's come bout in the real world conditions
and if used for towing the REAL range was about a 100 miles only!
I again agree as time passes things WILL get better with E vehicles IF they take off as claims are
but for now I really don;'t see them taking over in a 10 yr time frame
internet isn;t every where, cell phone coverage isn;t ever where,
LOTS of folks have neither still and NOT want it, and IMO< both of them things(phone/internet, are viewed as much more popular items than E vehicles
Farmers MIGHT like the torque of E tractors, but they won;t like the short run times and getting stuck in the middle of NO where when a battery runs LOW or out !
farmers need to be able to farm when conditions allow, not when batteries are charged! only!
be a while before they switch IMO
some day MAYBE, but again, doubt they will in 10 yrs , minus the yuppie farmers that is! them, I gather will be first to do so!

SledTL

I gotta give it to you grub, lot of people on here who simply are not going to change or listen to how the ENTIRE world is moving, and they will be left behind. This isn't the dems doing it, its global companies everywhere. Everyday billions are being dumped into EV plans, projects, etc. You with your ten acres are a minority, you with your 40' boat are a minority, you and I with our snowmobiles are a minority, your diesel F250 towing a camper......minority. The majority of the world lives in a .25 acre or less house, car to get back and forth to work ~30 miles, and runs local errands with no toys to their name. Yes there is a commercial side to the world, but there is 7+ billion people on the planet, most of whom never touch a tool or get involved in anything remotely like us, so stop trying to compare this forum to that. Nobody is coming for your V8's, they will just be more expensive to use. I've never understood the people who boast "hell ya I spend $400 a week on gas for my truck." Is it a measuring contest to see how poor you are with finances? If its a government cost thing, who cares at this point??? We all owe like $70K in debt if they broke up the 14 trillion right? Shake your fists it aint gonna be fixed. Go back to huffing starter fluid and wishing that my carb didn't varnish up on my 150 hp 6.2L? The only thing I don't like about EVs is that you can't carry a 5 gallon battery around to get you back home, but again that use case is a minority.

jonesin

i dont think it all about "i am not going to do it ever" mentality but more just being realistic. The government spending billions and trillions trying to force it when its not ready is wrong.
where do you get the battery materials from? not here, this will make us more dependent on foreign countries

maybe where you live everyone can afford a new vehicle but as a person that has never bought a new vehicle, boat, sled, motorcycle myself I look around my area and i am not the only one that cant afford to go buy a $40K vehicle. I divorced a few years ago and gave away half, I have a handful of years to work and who knows how long whats left of my savings will last keeping me alive even without a major purchase i dont want or need.

mezz

Mean while most Electricity is made with Fossel fuels and coal so what's the 👉
Yep, whats the point?!? Power plants will get larger & produce a larger carbon footprint & the dead batteries will be piled up like nuclear waste, who is winning?

G

G

The point is that it is and will be cheaper for 90 percent of the population to use EVs. When your neighbor buys one and figures out how to accomplish the minor adjustments of ownership and is pleased as punch about his purchase then you may take notice. Tesla owners are among the most satisfied car owners out there. Ford and Chev are both smart to get electric fleet vehicles out first. That way a lot of people will get sear time in them and find out they are not the POS they thought they were. It won't take long and they will sell themselves.

As far as carbon footprints electric motors are more efficient than ICE motors. By a huge margin. If there are more EVs there will be less of a carbon footprint overall.

As far as mountains of nuclear dead batteries that isn't going to happen either. When a car or pickup battery gets old and can no longer charge past 70 percent of original capacity then it is time to put a new one in your car or pickup. By the time that happens battery tech will be better and it will be replaced for a fraction of the cost battery replacement costs today. But that is a whole other subject. What happens to this 30 percent depleted battery? It still has 70 percent capacity. People like me will buy all of these batteries for cheap that we can get our hands on and make power walls out of them. Charged with passive solar. For my house and shop. That is about as close to free energy as you can get. Toyota has been doing this with great results. So a battery's usefull life is doubled and tripled. Again - force yourself to get on the Internet and look at what is going on. The world is shifting over. Rapidly.

mrbb

I gotta give it to you grub, lot of people on here who simply are not going to change or listen to how the ENTIRE world is moving, and they will be left behind. This isn't the dems doing it, its global companies everywhere. Everyday billions are being dumped into EV plans, projects, etc. You with your ten acres are a minority, you with your 40' boat are a minority, you and I with our snowmobiles are a minority, your diesel F250 towing a camper......minority. The majority of the world lives in a .25 acre or less house, car to get back and forth to work ~30 miles, and runs local errands with no toys to their name. Yes there is a commercial side to the world, but there is 7+ billion people on the planet, most of whom never touch a tool or get involved in anything remotely like us, so stop trying to compare this forum to that. Nobody is coming for your V8's, they will just be more expensive to use. I've never understood the people who boast "hell ya I spend $400 a week on gas for my truck." Is it a measuring contest to see how poor you are with finances? If its a government cost thing, who cares at this point??? We all owe like $70K in debt if they broke up the 14 trillion right? Shake your fists it aint gonna be fixed. Go back to huffing starter fluid and wishing that my carb didn't varnish up on my 150 hp 6.2L? The only thing I don't like about EVs is that you can't carry a 5 gallon battery around to get you back home, but again that use case is a minority.
I don't know how much of the WORLD you have been to, but can tell you a LOT of it is FAR from going top E vehicles and I mean a LOT of it!
HIGH population areas OK, MAYBE
but if were going to honest, " the WORLD" has more remote place that are NOT densely populated than area's that are!
and I also think NO one here is really bucking E vehicles or disagreeing that E Vehicles MIGHT be the way to go but the facts are that as of RIGHT now, there is no REAL system in place to handle them, if everyone went and bought one tomorrow!
what most folks here are simply saying is the way this E vehicle deal is being handled is, being done so in a very un logical way , that sort of shows that was no REAL plan in place to convert things in the time line there claiming to meet!
its an unrealistic time line, and when you FORCE an issue,l it has a higher rate of fail than if it was done in a more logic way!

LOTS of things were claimed to solve many issue's in the world and as time passed they failed!
so, there is that too to consider, before putting all your eggs in one basket !
Biting the hand that feeds you is never a good way to move forward in life!

G

G

You can tow-charge a Tesla and you will be able to tow charge any EV with regenerative braking. And they all have regenerative braking. Studies have been done. If you tow a Tesla 10 miles you can drive it another 40 miles.