getting stopped by the law

whitedust

Yes they can if you roll thru. Agree there should be lots more Yield than Stops out there. How do we change it?

Bullcheater

I live in SE. Minn. I have been checked before for current stickers. But all ways at a stop sign or crossing. A simple point at my sticker and a respectful thumbs up and we are on our way. I think that is what disapointed me on the deal was the lack of respect. I had to show him that especially in front of my daughter. But at the same time i have the rite to state the obvious that he was being ridiculous. They can check me all they want all day long if they do that like i stated a few sentences ago .

I would like to say I had a good experiance with the MI DNR in January. Came into the UP through Ironwood and the Chamber was closed and we could not get a sticker so we headed up the trail stopped and got gas and a sticker not more than two miles later ran into the DNR coming towards us asked us to stop and saw that we all had stickers and was nice enough to tell me that my gas cap was leaking. No problems with any of it

Last edited:

coldbear

Yes Sir officer..

Nothing bad to say about em' here. I've gotten more brakes than black eyes from em'. I once had so many margaritas in me that I was toast. A DNR officer pulled me over, asked me where I had come from. I told him Quincies in Dollar Bay,Mich. He asked me how the crowds were there that night and I answered swamped. He told me to get back to the motel asap. Pretty good dudes in 1985.

snobuilder

I say if the fish cops are gonna stop and do permit checks close to the border, they should be carryin permits to sell to you if they stop you while you are searching for an outlet.....

fatdaddy

To all you do gooders who have never rolled through a stop sign or gone off trail and never hit a small tree, or water skipped a pond and damaged our ecology your full of @#$%, you tell me to get out of the sport, screw you. I spend thousands of dollars on this sport and support so many business, that with out guys like me they don't stand a chance. Do those business every buy from me, NO I was at a bar having breakfast this morning and heard nothing but bad things about the Vilas county and local enforcement. Trust me skylar you and your friends don't make enough money to support this sport, so quite pissing on your own team.

russholio

I suggest the people that don't like it, get out of the sport. There are the people who get pissed off at stuff like this, and there are people like myself, who don't care. Something like this sure isn't going to wreck my day of sledding. :)

Me, too.

4 days of riding, saw the cops once (at a road crossing, we were going opposite directions). Waved to them, they waved back, and we all went merrily on our way.

yamahauler

These guys should set up shop down in the Prior Lake (south, east, and west of there) areas. They would bring in thousands of dollars a day. I have never seen such disrespect for peoples property and the amount of people that don't know how to ride a sled.

Had two people yesterday go up large hills on the LEFT side of the trails. I had to back way off in case someone came over and hit them head on. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was no way to see over those hills til the top.

I would say well over 50% of the people that are riding down there don't care if they stay on the trail or not. If it is a field (which almost every trail is), it may go along the edge of the field. Well, they will just cut corner to corner and mark every inch of the field...it is crazy. Dad's out with there kids doing this....I couldn't believe it.

On a side note...it may help if a groomer came out and groomed as the trails were absolutely horrible.

I have rode sleds for 25 yrs and you come across morons on the trail every now and then but it was x100 down there, still can't believe the idiots I saw.

rsvectordude

All my years of riding as a kid around Suring WI and between Houghton, Mqt, KI/Gwinn and Munising in the UP, and then in the UP as an adult - not once have I EVER been stopped - either solo or when leading a group.

Try riding in the Eastern end for a day around Newberry and Paradise. You'll get stopped multiple times. A group of 7 of us all got checked by 2 county cops than 5 miles down the trail we get stopped again by 2 DNR officers. No communication whatsoever between agencies I take it...

famousguy

I suggest the people that don't like it, get out of the sport. There are the people who get pissed off at stuff like this, and there are people like myself, who don't care. Something like this sure isn't going to wreck my day of sledding. :)

I totally disagree.

The OP was pulled over to check his registration. Sorry folks, but it is against the law for an officer to do that. This is the USA, and we do not have to tolerate that.

The OP should have gotten the badge number of the officers and contacted his supervisor about this. They had no right to pull him over.

famousguy

Try riding in the Eastern end for a day around Newberry and Paradise. You'll get stopped multiple times. A group of 7 of us all got checked by 2 county cops than 5 miles down the trail we get stopped again by 2 DNR officers. No communication whatsoever between agencies I take it...

I ride thousands of miles in the Eastern UP every year. Not once have I ever been stopped or pulled over.

I have seen them at stop signs checking permits, but that is it. When you see them at the stop sign, simply stop at the sign and then proceed without even giving them a look. If you are all legal, you do not need to wait for them to wave you by. If they see something illegal, they will come and get you. If when they pull you over, you have all permits and stickers in order, get their badge number and report it.

If nobody reports these incidents, it will just happen more and more.

I am all for the DNR getting drunks,wreckless riders and guys without permits off the trails, but they need to do it the proper way.

Last edited:

micelist

seems a lot of folks hate the DNR on here. Come on people they are underpayed, underappreciated guys trying to do a job. Most of you whiners would not last a week putting up with the crap they have to

chords

Getting pulled over - against the law - rights violated..

I keep reading the theme of "If I'm legal and doing nothing wrong there is no reason for being stopped or delayed"
Well there is more to being legal than a sticker. Other recreation sports like boating, hunting or fishing a person can be legal looking to the eye , but you can bet DNR will approach you and make you produce ID and fish/hunt license or show life preservers and be questioned even though you are doing nothing wrong. Beyond a sticker, how would they know if youre doing something wrong - arrest warrants - suspended DL - drinking.
Why should snowmobilers be exempt from random stops?

famousguy

I keep reading the theme of "If I'm legal and doing nothing wrong there is no reason for being stopped or delayed"
Well there is more to being legal than a sticker. Other recreation sports like boating, hunting or fishing a person can be legal looking to the eye , but you can bet DNR will approach you and make you produce ID and fish/hunt license or show life preservers and be questioned even though you are doing nothing wrong. Beyond a sticker, how would they know if youre doing something wrong - arrest warrants - suspended DL - drinking.

Well, how would you like it if they started pulling you over in your car just to check you out?

It is illegal for them to do that. On sleds, it is the same way.

Banks93

They need a reason to check you for those recreation sports. This is the reason people don't like the DNR they stop people without cause. If somebody is riding crazy, doesn't have the correct stickers, or runs a stop sign then pull them over.

You don't need to stop the rest of us just because we are on a sled not breaking rules.

polarisrider1

chords?.......... I can only shake my head on that response. Last I checked we are still a free country.

upbarleyboy

Well, how would you like it if they started pulling you over in your car just to check you out?

It is illegal for them to do that. On sleds, it is the same way.

Not illegal here in Wisconsin-random checkpoints are a part of life here. Don't see them everyday, but every now and than, they'll set up a sting operation. I too think it sucks.