getting stopped by the law

john w

This is funny Chit.

Get real people. The country is flat broke, the state's are broke and the small little towns we pass through on our sleds are broke.They all make lots of money from us everyday writing tickets, so the money can go back to small towns police budget and Mr LEO can feed his kids and wife on a daily basis. And it's only going to get worse over the years. So get used to it. Try to be as legal and polite as you can be to LEO, and hopefully they will send us on our way with a little fine. Its called contributing to the town and the sport we love so much. Not all cops are crooks,but a lot of them are !! And yes they can pull you over for no reason,weather you are in a sled,car,bike,atv,boat and harrass the chit out of you, and get away with it. Why, you ask ? Because each and every cop backs his partner and any other cop they deal with. Thats what they do best. Lie,lie and deny. They are getting a pay check, no matter what. I spent many years in law enforcement and could not take it any more. So i got out.

chords

They need a reason to check you for those recreation sports.

No they dont and thats my point.
By driving a boat, you have already consented to being stopped/checked/delayed for BAC or other infractions. If fishing or hunting and you will get checked/stopped/delayed for license or over limits for no reason other than to just "check you out"

Thats not a response, just the way it is for other recreational activitys.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
To all you do gooders who have never rolled through a stop sign or gone off trail and never hit a small tree, or water skipped a pond and damaged our ecology your full of @#$%, you tell me to get out of the sport, screw you. I spend thousands of dollars on this sport and support so many business, that with out guys like me they don't stand a chance. Do those business every buy from me, NO I was at a bar having breakfast this morning and heard nothing but bad things about the Vilas county and local enforcement. Trust me skylar you and your friends don't make enough money to support this sport, so quite pissing on your own team.

Funny, I spend thousands of dollars every year on this sport myself.

upsledder

I suggest the people that don't like it, get out of the sport. There are the people who get pissed off at stuff like this, and there are people like myself, who don't care. Something like this sure isn't going to wreck my day of sledding. :)

You'll change your tune on the day that they are hiding somewhere waiting for you make an honest mistake and then hand you a $200 ticket for breaking one of their chicken schitt laws.

polaris62

Actually saw the forum about minocqua and thought it might be about this. Heard from a couple of people dnr has a new trick they set a young lady up trailside appearing to be broke down flagging down help. Quess what turns out it's your friendly dnr using this as a way to get you stopped. Once stopped they check all your paper work not been drinking I hope then send you on your way. I have no real issue with this as I do not drink and all my stuff is always current but then I started to think word gets around about this type of tactics how long will it be before everyone rides by the person sitting trailside. This sure seems to be the wrong direction to go.

upsledder

Get real people. The country is flat broke, the state's are broke and the small little towns we pass through on our sleds are broke.They all make lots of money from us everyday writing tickets, so the money can go back to small towns police budget and Mr LEO can feed his kids and wife on a daily basis. And it's only going to get worse over the years. So get used to it.

Yep, Michigan is #2 in the nation, I believe its like 29 Billion in the red.

Not all cops are crooks,but a lot of them are !! And yes they can pull you over for no reason,weather you are in a sled,car,bike,atv,boat and harrass the chit out of you, and get away with it. Why, you ask ? Because each and every cop backs his partner and any other cop they deal with. Thats what they do best. Lie,lie and deny. They are getting a pay check, no matter what. .

And of course the judges in these small town kangaroo courts are right there with 'em.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll change your tune on the day that they are hiding somewhere waiting for you make an honest mistake and then hand you a $200 ticket for breaking one of their chicken schitt laws.

Oh, OK. Weird, I've been sledding for 21 years now, no tickets yet.

upsledder

Oh, OK. Weird, I've been sledding for 21 years now, no tickets yet.

Well, I've been riding for 29 years and never got one until this year. I've also been coming to this website for a while now and have NEVER before seen the amount of complaints about DNR harassment as there is this year.

propjockey

I'll step up and second what Skylar said. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GET OUT OF THE SPORT! There is absolutely NOTHING we as riders can do about it. Revenue generators or not, the DNR will continue to do as they do. If you get a DUI or OUI (or whatever they call it in your state) while you are riding, then you probably deserved it. That's the chance you take when you ride. I don't care what you're riding, whether it's a snowmobile, ATV or motorcycle. In Illinois, you can get a OUI for riding your BICYCLE intoxicated!

Get over the fact they are violating your civil liberties and ride. Even if you were to file a complaint against an officer, it's his word against yours in the end and who do you think the courts are going to stand behind? Am I guilty of "bending" a few laws here and there when I ride?...You betcha. But that's my problem and I'll deal with it when it happens. And you can bet yer' arse that I won't be on here complaining about it to thousands of other riders because THERE IS NOTHING ANYBODY ELSE ON A WEBSITE FORUM CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!!

Bad things happen to good people all the time in life and snowmobiling is no different. Personally, I've had several encounters with DNR officers and NEVER once was one of them an arsehole to me. My suggestion is this.....If you do get pulled over or stopped, take the chip off your shoulder BEFORE you remove your helmet and act like a decent human being who treats people with respect instead of someone who wants a good story to tell at the next trail stop about how you beat Mr. DNR. It's a solution that has consistently worked for me with a 100% success rate.

My guess is that if you do that, you'll drive away without a "coupon" and maybe even make a friend that you'll run into later. At some point in my conversation with the officer, I always talk about something obscure so he remembers me if I run into him again. It's happened twice and it's brought a smile to their faces both times because they DID remember me.

So continue to beotch, rant and rave all you want about how "unfair" they are, but in the end you're the one who will ultimately decide how you're treated.

PERIOD.

-J-

Last edited:

upsledder

.If you do get pulled over or stopped, take the chip off your shoulder BEFORE you remove your helmet and act like a decent human being who treats people with respect instead of someone who wants a good story to tell at the next trail stop about how you beat Mr. DNR.

If you really think that strategy works, your head is buried much deeper in the sand (or snowbank) than I originally thought.

polaris62

I'll step up and second what Skylar said. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GET OUT OF THE SPORT! There is absolutely NOTHING we as riders can do about it. Revenue generators or not, the DNR will continue to do as they do. If you get a DUI or OUI (or whatever they call it in your state) while you are riding, then you probably deserved it. That's the chance you take when you ride. I don't care what you're riding, whether it's a snowmobile, ATV or motorcycle. In Illinois, you can get a OUI for riding your BICYCLE intoxicated!

Get over the fact they are violating your civil liberties and ride. Even if you were to file a complaint against an officer, it's his word against yours in the end and who do you think the courts are going to stand behind? Am I guilty of "bending" a few laws here and there when I ride?...You betcha. But that's my problem and I'll deal with it when it happens. And you can bet yer' arse that I won't be on here complaining about it to thousands of other riders because THERE IS NOTHING ANYBODY ELSE ON A WEBSITE FORUM CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!!

Bad things happen to good people all the time in life and snowmobiling is no different. Personally, I've had several encounters with DNR officers and NEVER once was one of them an arsehole to me. My suggestion is this.....If you do get pulled over or stopped, take the chip off your shoulder BEFORE you remove your helmet and act like a decent human being who treats people with respect instead of someone who wants a good story to tell at the next trail stop about how you beat Mr. DNR. It's a solution has consistently worked for me with a 100% success rate.

My guess is that if you do that, you'll drive away without a "coupon" and maybe even make a friend that you'll run into later. At some point in my conversation with the officer, I always talk about something obscure so he remembers me if I run into him again. It's happened twice and it's brought a smile to their faces both times because they DID remember me.

So continue to beotch, rant and rave all you want about how "unfair" they are, but in the end you're the one who will ultimately decide how you're treated.

PERIOD.

-J-

Quite true being an ahole will get you no where fast. I have a lot of friends in law enforcement and they always say the first couple of words out of your mouth will determine the outcome. They are just doing their job like it or not. So you might as well be nice.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you really think that strategy works, your head is buried much deeper in the sand (or snowbank) than I originally thought.

It has worked for me. I said I have never gotten a ticket, didn't say I have never been stopped. LOL.

jroz

I have been stopped one time in my years of riding, which I explained before. You are better off staying away from the areas where festivals and races are being held. It doesn't matter what state you are in, they are looking for the easy money. Look out all that are heading to Walker, MN for the Eelpout Festival this weekend. The LEO's will be stopping anything that goes in or out of that area. Personally, I would drive a car rather than deal with congested trails and overofficious DNR and locals. I ride with a bunch of women and kids, and every trip is a teaching experience for me. Mainly, the problems to correct are "riding over your head" and "stay to the right." Classes can teach the ideology, but riding teaches the real world technique.

upsledder

It has worked for me. I said I have never gotten a ticket, didn't say I have never been stopped. LOL.

What can I say?
I do not think I could have been more polite to the warden. I tried to explain that I don't even like riding lakes because in 1985 I was riding alone and went through the ice in -20 degree temps because I got too close to an inlet. I was only on Gogebic because the trails were terrible that day. I knew there were bad spots on the north end of the lake but wasn't sure where. I felt more comfortable riding where I could see that many other sleds had been.
You think he cared?
Oh well, I guess some people are better at kissin' azz than others.

fatdaddy

YOU need me on these trails, You want me on these trails, You want the truth, I need these trails to. We have got to stop choosen sides because if we don't, this sports over, trust me if half of these people leave for one reason or another, the UP is finished, do you really think the UP can survive on half of what it already has, I'm guessing not to long. I look at these threads and places are closing all the time, If you really want me to leave, fine. I'm sure others places will take my money.