getting stopped by the law

no1_pro

For real?

I'll step up and second what Skylar said.

Get over the fact they are violating your civil liberties and ride.

-J-

propjocky As I must respect your opinion. I do not agree.

For real? Do you really mean what you wrote?

Just sit back and think about what you are thinking.

If a large % of us Americans feel like what you wrote we are in reel trouble.

I worry about my 5 grandkids every day. A statement like yours is a reason why.

Pro

HIGHLANDER

What can I say?
I do not think I could have been more polite to the warden. I tried to explain that I don't even like riding lakes because in 1985 I was riding alone and went through the ice in -20 degree temps because I got too close to an inlet. I was only on Gogebic because the trails were terrible that day. I knew there were bad spots on the north end of the lake but wasn't sure where. I felt more comfortable riding where I could see that many other sleds had been.
You think he cared?
Oh well, I guess some people are better at kissin' azz than others.

you said to much upsledder

HIGHLANDER

YOU need me on these trails, You want me on these trails, You want the truth, I need these trails to. We have got to stop choosen sides because if we don't, this sports over, trust me if half of these people leave for one reason or another, the UP is finished, do you really think the UP can survive on half of what it already has, I'm guessing not to long. I look at these threads and places are closing all the time, If you really want me to leave, fine. I'm sure others places will take my money.

L.O.L! sound like a threat!

snobuilder

Pro

Ditto...officers of the law and military men take an oath to UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.
Its the oh well, what are ya gonna do ? attitude that has brought us to this time in history wallowing in the mess we the voters have created with our lazy attitude toward monitoring our politicians.

john w

Ok, How do we fix the system ?

Its the oh well, what are ya gonna do ? attitude that has brought us to this time in history wallowing in the mess we the voters have created with our lazy attitude toward monitoring our politicians.
The Indiana congressman is leaving after aprox. 12 years in congress, if he can't get any where after 10 + years of trying, how can your average (Joe) do any thing ? Its that messed up, and its only going to get worse.

snobuilder

FIRST, stop voting on name recognition only, thats why we have "CAREER" politicians screwin us.
SECOND , attend a tea party and be counted, contrary to what the predominant media will tell you while they scoff at the TEA attendees,...the politicians ARE taking notice.
THIRD, write these ppl letters,...THEY SERVE YOU THE PPL
FOURTH, learn what your rights are
FIFTH, be vocal.....don't be afraid to "talk politics"

Last edited:

propjockey

Pro

no1_pro,

I understand where you are coming from. I do. Really. Don't need to think about it anymore. Let me try to explain where I'm coming from.....

My whole life I've fought for others when they needed help to fight ,been divorced (twice), lost a VERY nice custom home I built to a fire (reason for divorce#2) took a two and a half story fall that I should have died from, but ended up in a wheelchair for three months instead, survived the end of my fathers 45 year old construction business that I was V.P. of and currently struggle every day to keep MY business above water. www.needlecreek.com

Oops...Was that a plug? :)

I watch the Government throw money around to businesses that can't run themselves, I see crooked politicians AND law enforcement everywhere, I find that drug dealers can access ammo easier than I can and the list of gripes goes on and on. But, you know what? I get up every day, I go to work, I keep my chin up and just smile. Do I REALLY need to worry about where the DNR is going to be this weekend? Whatever. Get over it already.

So what's the point of all this mumbo jumbo you ask? It's not a dissertation for a pity party, It's to show that I've had to side-step and adjust to just about anything bad that could happen to a person in their life. And I'm only 41.

I'm nowhere near lazy...I'm just tired of fighting.

And while I may not have five grandkids, I do have SIX KIDS. I try to spend most of my energy on them instead of trying to please everybody else all the time. Truth be told, as soon as the oldest is out of college, Kathy and I are moving to an island somewhere. Both of us are completely disgusted with the direction this country is moving. Do you watch the news? They should call it "The Bad News" cause' that's ALL it is. It's depressing, it sucks and it's the same old sheot over and over again. Anybody who says I have a "lazy attitude" obviously doesn't know me. I'd spend my last dollar on a perfect stranger if they needed it and I've written several letters to government officials which, presumably, went unnoticed.

So, call me what you will and think of me what you want. Maybe someday we'll meet on the trail somewhere and we can chat.

I'll be the guy in the grey wool snowmobile suit.....Comrade.

-J-

Last edited:

no1_pro

Lets do the math

propjocky

Well ok then.

I think in the end your thinking is not much different than most snowmachine riders opinions about being stoped by the law.

I also think we all should try to contribute to the happy snowmobiling stories thread that popped up yesterday.

Now lets do the math. You are 41. And holly molly you have 6 kids. Trust me you will have 5 grandkids and then some soon.

Good luck to you

Pro

Brer Rabbit

Cap...

I'm a cop, this stuff is wrong, what is their reason to pull someone over, you just can't guess there's a violation, you have to have a violation. A few are making things bad, a complaint needs to be filed in your area, and some people retrained.
Kyle

I am also, and U know the "probable cause" for the stop will be a sled matching that description was reported stolen. May not really be the truth but that response will work at anytime because of the amount of sled thefts. Another thing to remember is they are not searching U or the sled just looking like looking thru the back window and seeing 20 lbs of weed. Also the thing we are forgetting here is that sledding is the same as driving a car. Citizens do not have the "right" to operate a car, truck, or sled for that matter. Operating any vehicle is a priviledge given by the state and unfortunately can be taken away. I dont agree with it but I sure do use it to my advantage in Chicago when working in the ghetto. heres another way to look at it, one of those stops could prevent a drunk sledder from driving right into U, Family or friends.

simonsr1

I suggest the people that don't like it, get out of the sport. There are the people who get pissed off at stuff like this, and there are people like myself, who don't care. Something like this sure isn't going to wreck my day of sledding. :)

X2, I totally agree, If you dont like the presence of the DNR on the trails, then stay home, I think we need more of them out there to help get rid of all the idiots out there,

nic

I'm fine w/ DNR being visible and doing their jobs. I'm not fine w/ the 'safety checks' given to everyone they see as they search for the tiniest of violations to make a buck. If they truly care about the sport that is providing their paycheck, they would get off the power trip. Not all officers are jerks- I'm sure if a post was started by everyone who had a good experience w/ DNR, there would be a ton. This is like the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease'. People are much more vocal when they have a complaint or feel they've been wronged. Anyway- back to my point. I'm all for getting drunks off the trails. Helping to find a stolen sled. Getting racer wannabes to slow down. Etc. But if a group is riding through and has all stickers, not speeding, stopping at stop signs, being courteous, etc. then I think it's crap when DNR harrasses them just to search for that possible minor violation. THat's my only complaint. I'll continue to be courteous if and when I am stopped (haven't been in over 5 yrs). But as a lifelong boater who deals w/ the same crap all summer- it's more than annoying. We were stopped 4 times one summer and the officer flat out told us- you're young kids in a big go-fast boat. I'm stopping you every time. Even though I had the 3 receipts from all prior safety checks and we were always fine, it was more than annoying. It's profiling. Last I checked- racial profiling was illegal in this country. While it may not be based on race- DNR is still practicing this profiling and that's just not right. It's harrassment and it's giving the agency a black eye. I'm done ranting now.

Canoepaddler

It doesn't bother me one bit to be stopped on the trail. I wouldn't have been happy with a ticket the one time I could have gotten one for a rule I was breaking, but I was in the wrong none-the-less and lesson learned. In 8 years of riding, I've been stopped once, waved through one check point and I waved AT the officer with a radar gun.

I view being stopped as a minor inconvenience. How long do people stand in line to be searched up one side and down the other at an airport? In fact, I'd prefer seeing them and being stopped more often. I know that for every time I get stopped and checked, they'll probably find somebody else who's had too much to be on the trail and that's one less person I have to worry about hitting me or my family that day. As for tickets for improper stickers, registration, etc., if that's how they get the money they need to be out there patrolling, so be it. If you're all legal and follow the rules, you don't have anything to worry about. If not, pay the piper, learn your lesson and move on.

Last edited:

upsledder

I know that for every time I get stopped and checked, they'll probably find somebody else who's had too much to be on the trail and that's one less person I have to worry about hitting me or my family that day.

I doubt that. I'm sure most drunks are out between the hours of 10PM and 3AM. How many DNR wardens are out during those hours as opposed to during the day? You think they like working the graveyard shift any more than you do? I'd bet anything that lately, for every OWI, they write 100 tickets for riding roads, too close to roads, registration, safety course certificates, too close to shanty, rolling stops, etc.

And If you are that worried about getting hit by a drunk, maybe you should..............................................................GET OUT OF THE SPORT!!!!!!

russholio

It doesn't bother me one bit to be stopped on the trail. I wouldn't have been happy with a ticket the one time I could have gotten one for a rule I was breaking, but I was in the wrong none-the-less and lesson learned. In 8 years of riding, I've been stopped once, waved through one check point and I waved AT the officer with a radar gun.

I view being stopped as a minor inconvenience. How long do people stand in line to be searched up one side and down the other at an airport? In fact, I'd prefer seeing them and being stopped more often. I know that for every time I get stopped and checked, they'll probably find somebody else who's had too much to be on the trail and that's one less person I have to worry about hitting me or my family that day. As for tickets for improper stickers, registration, etc., if that's how they get the money they need to be out there patrolling, so be it. If you're all legal and follow the rules, you don't have anything to worry about. If not, pay the piper, learn your lesson and move on.

Right on.