Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Tires

mattyp

Hi everyone. Need to purchase some new tires for my 2013 Z71 Suburban and have pretty much zeroed in on the DuraTracs. Wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has owned/owns them. My main concern is road noise, as they will mostly be used on pavement. I do like the aggressive look. Thanks in advance!

mezz

Have you considered looking at either the Firestone AT or Bridgestone Dueller? The AT & the Dueller handle all conditions well & ride like a dream on pavement. Compare each against your present choice. Just my .02.-Mezz

indy_500

I owned duratracs a few years ago and are hands down the best tire I've owned to date, especially in the snow. They were practically silent but tire noise has a lot to do woth width and profile shape... ive also had bfg k0s, and currently have k02s, and the duratracs were quieter than these. I prefer the duratracs over my current k02s, but i got too good of a deal on my k02s to pass them up...

srt20

My bud has duratracs on his Duramax 2500 that we take out west. Very quiet tire with great traction. Though IMO they wear kinda fast.

edit; I forgot his have the snowflake symbol so we dont have to chain up on passes. Thats probably why they wear fast. Softer tire.

indy_500

Though IMO they wear kinda fast.
See this is funny. I have A LOT of buddys with duratracs, i always convince them to order 10 plys and they rotate them often yet ive seen duratracs shot in 30k miles, and some with half @$$ decent tread at 60k.

saber1

Got a set of yokohama geolanders AT with the snow symbol great tire quite and has a 60,000 mile wear out warranty semi aggressive look .so far so good i always heard and experienced goodyears wearing out prematurely.

RHFD547

I could never get any version of a Goodyear tire to last more than 45,000 miles despite proper rotation. I currently have a set of Bridgestone Duelers on my Z71 pickup. They have approximately 20,000 miles on them and are hardly showing any wear. They ride good and low road noise.

snoeatr

Duratracs are good tires. Great in the snow. I have oversized on my silverado and they have become a little noisy after 5 years. New they werent bad. If you stay close to stock width Im sure they are quieter. On average between some buds they have been lasting 50-60k miles

mattyp

Thanks snoeatr! I have read that they become noisier after they wear. I plan on staying close to stock size. Most people seem to get good mileage out of them yet there are always outliers. They are a good looking tire.

euphoric1

dura-trac

I own a small business and have a 1 ton ford diesel truck that is used daily for pick ups and deliveries, and tow a tandem axle trailer. I also use the same truck to plow snow commercially in the winter time. My previous truck was a 3/4 ton ford diesel and it ate tires, tried Dunlop's best and bridgestone and at best got 1 1/2 - 2 years about 20 to 30 thousand miles out of them until I tried dura-trac, it is my understanding that they are the hardest compound in a road tire, the set I am about to replace on my shop truck have almost 55,000 miles on them they are a little noisy but that's my fault, not religious with rotation and the fronts are chopped, great driving tire, working tire and long lasting from personal experience

T

Tracker

little tip for longevity in tires....every 10 degrees is 1 pound of PSI change....and the manu PSI on the door is THE STANDARD for mileage...meaning if it says 32PSI to run tires at they will get 30,000 miles (or whatever they are rated for)....but the tires all have a maximum PSI and are usually 44 or 51....and if you leave from your home and its 30 degrees and your going up north and its 5 degrees in that area that means when you get there the tires will actually have been running at 28 PSI...so ya...they wear fast...there is no harm in running them at 37 PSI or a tire that maxes at 51 I run at 39/41....you get more MPG and they last almost double....and when you get there they are lower PSI and the grip is still there but you aint wearin em out so fast....my record is 125,000 miles on one set of BF GOODRICH LONG TRAIL XL's (extra load) on a high top conversion van pulling a 4 place trailer...and some of it was offroad....I torn down the 2 televisions mounted on ceiling on a dirt road with 8 inches of snow so traction is good on those..right now I am running GOODYEAR FORTERA HL's and running at 39PSI ish on a Lincoln navigator pulling a 4 place....love the fortera HL's (heavy load)..great traction...FYI air pressure is THE MOST IMORTANT aspect of tires...that's why nascar does in increments of a 1/4 pound or less....I try to have each tire EXACTLY the same PSI...everytime out...no exceptions...trailer same thing...running higher PSI than recommended

C

Cirrus_Driver

Tracker, I notice the dealers have started bumping up the PSI on their SUV tires, Michelin's, to 36. I questioned this because 1st of all, you get better mileage, but they ride like trucks, and wear out faster. Why faster?
Because the tire won't lay on the road evenly due to over-inflation. I like the tires to be 31-32 cold (on SUV), because you always gain a couple of PSI as tires heat up. I don't agree with over-inflating tires, just for the ride alone.
I track my mileage religiously and the worst thing is under-inflation. I see it on the road all the time - usually women.

T

Tracker

Tracker, I notice the dealers have started bumping up the PSI on their SUV tires, Michelin's, to 36. I questioned this because 1st of all, you get better mileage, but they ride like trucks, and wear out faster. Why faster?
Because the tire won't lay on the road evenly due to over-inflation. I like the tires to be 31-32 cold (on SUV), because you always gain a couple of PSI as tires heat up. I don't agree with over-inflating tires, just for the ride alone.
I track my mileage religiously and the worst thing is under-inflation. I see it on the road all the time - usually women.

at 32 PSI the tires are not flat...they are actually under-inflated...which the industry wants since it wears faster...over inflation actually wears less....but its really hard to over inflate a tire....heres why...look at this chart and you will notice under the 30PSI column that only ONE degree....104 degrees.....does it go over THE MANUFACTURES AVERAGE PSI...that 32 PSI is AVERAGE....or whatever is stamped on door....its an average...it does not mean that underinflation occurs under 32....and over 32 is not over inflated.....there tests read 25 is under inflated and over 10 to 15 PSI STARTS to be over inflated....starts to be....they have a range they need to be in for warranty issues...and they set it LOW one the scale since a tad lower means you will buy sooner....totally independent and based on money made not under inflation or over inflation....which is more from the days of bygone eras and balloon tires...its been adjusted over the years but has remained aboot the same but tires have seen enormous advances and there tests have not....its ingrained in us all now...the 32 PSI....as THE PSI to run at....but that is wrong and only what a tire manufacturer wants....same as brand new GM vehicles and one head light out...think aboot it....you see no new fords or hundia or Toyota or Subaru running with none headlight and the car is only 2 years old.....GM....look around....thousands of them....due to the fact they tried to up the monies received by reengineering the lights to go out sooner....bad mistake and it will bite them soon....does that mean that the lights have more juice going to them to fail....no....it means some engineer made the filament .002 thinner to save money so you buy headlights sooner.....same thing with tires now....run them at 5 PSI heavier than whats on the door...don't rotate either...if rotate its even longer then....till they are dead....now look at the treads....even all the way across....what? how can that be johnny? shouldn't they be over inflated and gone in the center? why aren't they? because your not over inflated at all that's why....and they lasted longer....nothing was sacrificed either...expect maybe...a tad rougher ride....maybe....I probably have over 2 million miles in vehicles and have learned this from countless tests meself....and lastly...the nitrogen...air is 78% nitrogen....so just regular air is almost all nitrogen anyways....that 20% doesn't effect nuttin' and nitrogen in tires is a waste....another manu thing coming at you...nitrogen degrades rubber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_inflation_pressure

C

Cirrus_Driver

Disagree - I notice a big difference between 32 & 36 PSI, and I told the dealer so. Tires going to wear faster at 36 than 32, over time. (Time to reevaluate) The door panel for my SUV gives front/rear pressures from the manufacturer. Hi-end vehicles, not some Ford - Navigator, gar-baaage. (Ryme with garage) Sorry. USA still don't know how to make a quality car that lasts. Start at 32 PSI and it will be at 34-35 by the time I'm 260 miles north, no matter what the weather, unless it's 10 below and snow on the road. I have digital readouts for my tires, so they are always on the money, plus I evaluate mileage. You won't wear a tire out at 32 PSI.....36 is a stretch, again, they want that at the dealers because 1.) gas mileage is a bit better, and 2.) you're in there spending 900 for their over-priced tires. It's a game to them. I do what works for me. Last set of SUV tires lasted about 45 thou, but were singing on the road at 37-38, that's your first clue the tires are trashed, when they start making a racket. I got Michelin Premiers on a smaller car because the tire joint said just as good, and cheaper than Primacy's. Mistake - tires are garbage from a "wear" POV. They cheapen the tire so they can sell at a price point, and don't care if it wears out faster because people pretty much view them as a maintenance item. I like quiet tires, so I only buy Michelin, even though they cost a few hundred more. All tire dealers will tell u Michelin makes the most balanced/quiet tire, from a tech point of view, but most people won't pay the price for them.

Last edited:
T

Tracker

Disagree - I notice a big difference between 32 & 36 PSI, and I told the dealer so. Tires going to wear faster at 36 than 32, over time. (Time to reevaluate) The door panel for my SUV gives front/rear pressures from the manufacturer. Hi-end vehicles, not some Ford - Navigator, gar-baaage. (Ryme with garage) Sorry. USA still don't know how to make a quality car that lasts. Start at 32 PSI and it will be at 34-35 by the time I'm 260 miles north, no matter what the weather, unless it's 10 below and snow on the road. I have digital readouts for my tires, so they are always on the money, plus I evaluate mileage. You won't wear a tire out at 32 PSI.....36 is a stretch, again, they want that at the dealers because 1.) gas mileage is a bit better, and 2.) you're in there spending 900 for their over-priced tires. It's a game to them. I do what works for me. Last set of SUV tires lasted about 45 thou, but were singing on the road at 37-38, that's your first clue the tires are trashed, when they start making a racket. I got Michelin Premiers on a smaller car because the tire joint said just as good, and cheaper than Primacy's. Mistake - tires are garbage from a "wear" POV. They cheapen the tire so they can sell at a price point, and don't care if it wears out faster because people pretty much view them as a maintenance item. I like quiet tires, so I only buy Michelin, even though they cost a few hundred more. All tire dealers will tell u Michelin makes the most balanced/quiet tire, from a tech point of view, but most people won't pay the price for them.

simple test....see if max on those tires are 44PSI....run them at 37....they wont start singing or any signs of wear until 25,000 past their rating even though you had them over inflated according to them....and its an AVIATOR....sorry gotta edit that...and its an AVIATOR with the COBRA ENGINE BABAY....its fun beating trucks pulling trailers with they hemi or turbo diesel with me 4 sleds on it at a stop light...win win....LOL...but I will give you this...I have melted my chain guides 3 times so far.....dam....but I won

T

Tracker

sorry not to hijack...last one...triple X....I'm a LINCOLN MAN NOW...dis me daily driver....white 2011 MKZ HYBRID with the larger 2.5 Atkinson with electric motor....will take down chargers and challengers and all manners of vehicles...I love it....with sun roof open too...LOL

C

Cirrus_Driver

I know what you're saying about the manufacturer recommended tire pressure, but there's variables in the vehicle weight and suspension setup that make their pressure range relatively meaningless, in my view.
Engineers test things before they go into production, with a given tire, at a given pressure. They suddenly decided to bump up the pressures to 36 in last 2 years on our new vehicles, after all those years of 33 front / 32 rear.
I'm not buying it....I say they have their CAFE standards they want to achieve, as well as keep a customer happy by advertising higher MPG's. So simple solution - bump up tire pressures and waaa-laaa...instant + 2.2 MPG...whoop-te-F'n-do.
Meanwhile they damn well know the tires will wear faster at higher pressures, but they don't care because again, they sell more tires! Dumb customer doesn't think twice, what's $900 when you pay $40-$50K for a vehicle.
I'm to believe that great strides have been made in engineering tech of tires, tires that are used on MULTIPLE vehicles and multiple makes, to suddenly get the same wear, at higher PSI?
Margins are so low on tires, they're commodities, so they aren't spending millions on R&D to invent the space shuttle of tires, with super advanced tech. I ain't buyin' - sounds like you swallowed a load of scat?
Talk to me in a few years when they change back to 32 PSI, with all the customer market complaints about rough rides and poor tire wear.
You need to think ulterior motive with these people and be a critic. Look at Volkswagen TDI diesel scandal for how they do nefarious things to manipulate the public.
Weren't you the guy talking about rolling over into the woods, off freeways while pulling a trailer? Probably your over-inflated, hard tires, with no grip on the road. But I digress.
I've never rolled a trailer or had an accident pulling one, but then again, I haven't done so (routinely) since 2003 so probably not one to judge.

T

Tracker

FYI....they didn't SUDDENLY decide to raise it to 36....the computer program for tread designs raised the PSI to 36 which also included over inflation and under inflation and wear and the program concluded that 36 PSI wears flatter and makes the tires last longer...amongst many things....it aint just me saying this....and a couple of off road adventures in 36 years due to snow and ice with no one getting hurt or damaged...is par for the course when you trailer as far and long as i do....had absolutely nothing to do with tire inflation....I learned that along the way....it is what it is...and you

CAN RAISE THE PRESSURE OF YOUR TIRES THESE DAYS BY INFLATING THEM MORE

and it doesn't effect anything...the 32 PSI is an old wives tale from the days of old and the rubber compounds of old...time marches on

C

Cirrus_Driver

Don't agree with you. Agree to disagree.
Keep those tire pressures up, it always makes for breath-taking traveling on snow and ice. A thrill a minute, and lot's to discuss on JD. LOL