Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Tires

T

Tracker

what say you to this then?

Several vehicle manufacturer's owner's manuals recommend operating tires several psi (typically 3-5) higher than their recommended pressures for summer and all-season tires. While none of them actually provide the reason why, (this is a clue....LOL) there are several scenarios that would support the practice.

The 3-5 psi higher recommended inflation pressures increase tire stability and help offset the reduction in responsiveness.

Additionally ambient air temperatures in winter typically range 40- to 50-degrees Fahrenheit colder than typical summer temperatures for the same location. The lower ambient temperatures allow tires to be more efficient at radiating heat and the tires will run cooler, building up less hot tire pressure. In this case, the 3-5 psi higher recommended inflation pressure increase helps offset the reduced hot tire pressures resulting from less heat buildup.

the difference between average summer temperatures and average winter temperatures is about 50 degrees F. This means that your tires will fluctuate approximately 5 psi (assuming no other air loss) between the coldest and warmest times of the year. A drop of 5 psi during colder months will affect traction, handling, and durability. This is why it's important to remember to check your inflation pressure, especially during colder times of the year

just sayin'

T

Tracker

Hi everyone. Need to purchase some new tires for my 2013 Z71 Suburban and have pretty much zeroed in on the DuraTracs. Wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has owned/owns them. My main concern is road noise, as they will mostly be used on pavement. I do like the aggressive look. Thanks in advance!

matty I have used these and they are fantastic....but I run them at 37PSI both empty and hauling a load..get aboot 80,000 miles or so out of them doing it...and tread is flat wear and even all across...my 2c

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-fortera-hl/p/30091

red_dog

Picked up a set right befer huntin season fer the ol deer hauler. Darn tootin good traction, very impressed. Rides a tad rougher and a bit noisier, ya'll know whatta mean? But they are LT 6ply so thats why mostly. I'll re-post at 50,000 miles or about 5 years for me.

mtu_deltsig

The real reason you see 36 psi nominal pressures is to handle load. P and hard metric tires maximize loading carrying ability at 36 psi. As vehicles get lighter with similar or higher GWARs, you need extra pressure to support load and handle with that load.

dfattack

I didn’t see the dates at first and started to read then saw tracker and other names I haven’t seen in a long time and was confused for a second.

euphoric1

Best traction in snow I have found, a bit more noisy, who cares, it's a truck, got 50K and still going. Run at 45psi. Look great
X1000!! have used them for years, I leave them on all year if you don't keep them rotated the steering tires will become chopped and then get noisy, outside of that I don't notice the noise, I run them at 70 psi

old abe

I have them on my F 150. 68K miles and not close to being worn out. I really like the GY Wranglers, very satisfied all the way around.

dfattack

Man you must like a rough ride!
I was going to say the same thing unless you are always hauling or have a loaded bed. I run 60 front and 55 rear and my mechanic said whatever I'm doing keep doing it. wear is perfect. I rotate every other oil change so at 10,000 miles. I run KO2's on a 3/4 ton.

I know I will get torched over this comment but I personally don't want my tires lasting 60,000 or more. rubber has to be very hard for them to last that long. I spend the extra money to have softer rubber so wet traction is good and snow. I usually notice that I need to change around 35,000 miles when the rear end slips when it's raining. Heard great things about the duratracs but I do like my KO2's.

euphoric1

The assumption would be that its a "rough ride" but I assure you it isn't and I'm sure whitedust can attest to that it isn't. its a 1 ton diesel truck and according to vehicle recommendations I am 5 lbs over pressure in the fronts and actually 10 lbs under on the back as per vehicles specs. It does not ride rough at all, and after all it is a truck not a grocery getter or look at me I'm cool I have a big truck. It has lived its entire life towing or hauling, 28' cabin boat, 27' steel enclosed trailer, shop trailer 5 days a week, and I plow commercially and use a plow that weighs just shy of 900 lbs. Does the truck ride rough? absolutely not.

dfattack

The assumption would be that its a "rough ride" but I assure you it isn't and I'm sure whitedust can attest to that it isn't. its a 1 ton diesel truck and according to vehicle recommendations I am 5 lbs over pressure in the fronts and actually 10 lbs under on the back as per vehicles specs. It does not ride rough at all, and after all it is a truck not a grocery getter or look at me I'm cool I have a big truck. It has lived its entire life towing or hauling, 28' cabin boat, 27' steel enclosed trailer, shop trailer 5 days a week, and I plow commercially and use a plow that weighs just shy of 900 lbs. Does the truck ride rough? absolutely not.
It won’t ride rough if you are doing all the things you say you are doing. I think the rough ride comment refers to when you are unloaded and not hauling. Tire pressure recommendations are for loaded conditions. That’s why the rears are supposed to be higher pressure. When you don’t have anything in the bed the rears should actually be lower than the fronts. At least that’s what I’ve learned from my research and now experience. BTW, I have a diesel too. They are front heavy for sure. If your tire wear is good then keep doing what you are doing, especially if you like the ride 👍🏼

euphoric1

It won’t ride rough if you are doing all the things you say you are doing. I think the rough ride comment refers to when you are unloaded and not hauling. Tire pressure recommendations are for loaded conditions. That’s why the rears are supposed to be higher pressure. When you don’t have anything in the bed the rears should actually be lower than the fronts. At least that’s what I’ve learned from my research and now experience. BTW, I have a diesel too. They are front heavy for sure. If your tire wear is good then keep doing what you are doing, especially if you like the ride 👍🏼
yeah, doesn't bother me at all, I also change my tires around the same interval as you, more so because I am not always too religious about rotating tires lol. Diesels are just hard on tires...plain and simple, I don't know if its a line of crap or not but was told by a friend of mine who used to run a goodyear dealership that the Dura-trac tires have the hardest compound, I went through many other brands on my previous 3/4 ton and I've stuck with the Dura-trac's. Like everything else stick with whatever works best.

katden4

I just looked them up curious on current price. Are you sitting down? $426.00 each right now at Discount tire.

indy_500

I just looked them up curious on current price. Are you sitting down? $426.00 each right now at Discount tire.
Wheel size plays a HUGE factor in tire prices. Did I say HUGE? Let me say it again. HUGE factor. Spitting out dollar amounts means nothing unless you’re comparing apples to apples. EVERYONE loves to piss and moan about how much tire prices have gone up but EVERYBODY forgets that the consumers did this to themselves. Fact of the matter is, bigger wheel diameters = more cost. You want that new truck with the fancy bigger wheels? Well yeah, everyone does. But when you need new rubber you’re going to have to pay for it!! One guy could be putting duratracs on his 07 duramax, which takes a 265/75/16. The next guy could be putting them on his 2023 Duramax Denali and needs 275/65/20. Per discount tire direct that is a difference from $253 to $426 per tire or $1012 vs $1704 for a set.

latner

Good alternative to the goodyears, Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. Under $300ea for 18". One of my top priorities is quiet on the hwy, which these are.