Groomer stuck just a little

xcswitch

Riding just south of Merrifield MN on trail Baxter 2 and found groomer and its help in a little bit of trouble. Quite a sight to see in person.

Attachments

• IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,009
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,058
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,986

ezra

so the tractor broke the ice hay I got a idea lets get a backhoe that is only 1000or more lbs out ther to get it out.

racerx

That is a total bummer and not to mention costly to just get them out, if they can. I have been involved with a couple groomer rescues and they are not fun. That excavator alone is in bad shape since it probably can't be under power to help itself out which makes the recovery even worse. And yes we have used excavators for recovery because you have to dig around sometimes to make it an easier pull, not to mention the bucket teeth can be pressed in the ground while the bucket is "rolled out" (dumping motion) to get a pulling force. Dozers usually don't help since they have such low ground pressure which the tracks usually end up spinning on frozen ground under heavy pulls. BUT I do wonder why they took that out there as it looks more like water than mud.

slimcake

Dnr fine??

I wonder being as how most clubs in mn are supported by the DNR if there will be the "per day" fine for machines sunk in the water? I had a buddy sink his skidloader in the backwaters of the mississippi and he was fined 1000 dollars a day until he got it out..... I have no idea how they are going to get that mess cleaned up..... Is there a helicopter that can lift that kind of weight?? lol. Wish them the best of luck.

xcswitch

Gonna ride back to that area later today to see the progress. This is usually something you see in pictures, but seeing this in person is quite a site. Snow and ice was cracked all around the machines for some feet. Its gonna be interesting on how long they take to get these machines out.

M

Mattarsc

more pics

Updated pics would be great. I pity the guys working on that mess though!

hamburgchf

every groomer operators nitemare this stuff happens ever day, just most people never realize it did, early season grooming is always scary.

anonomoose

I am no expert on this, but seems the groomer would be easier to retrieve than the excavator. This looks like it is in the middle of a swamp, with no firm ground below the units. Would not be that hard to get back out over a lake bottom, but swamp is another story.

I hope one of you interested guys stay with this story and keep us up-dated. This will be an engineering feat worth keeping track of.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jeez, don't bring in any engineers, just let some of the local farmers figure it out!

heckler56

Jeez, don't bring in any engineers, just let some of the local farmers figure it out!

Okay, First my heart goes out to the drivers - I understand your pain! I buried a tractor in a swamp in the fall 30 yrs ago and had to walk to a bar to get help. After the local farmers in the bar told me that "tractors don't get stuck, they pull things out" for over a 1/2 hr, then another 1/2 of laughing, they gave me a manual come-a-long. That was a long day and luckly they had several hundred feet of electric tower guide wire.

These guys don't even have trees to cling too!!

My money would be on the farmer to because i am one! Ive seen things stuck much worse then that before! But i will say that is pretty bad i definitely wouldnt want to be in there shoes.

groomerdave

A half dozen swamp mats would really do some good. Been stuck before, water is your enemy. There already screwed because they are froze in. All kinds of bad. Good luck to whoever...
-Dave