Groomer stuck just a little

carmaman

Sooo...the 15,000 pound tractor went through...let's get a 80,000 pound excavator to pull it out? Man, I hate it when that happens.

xcswitch

Recon mission update

Just got back from the scene this afternoon... They had the chalk outlines all drawn out on the sidewalk and the dead covered with tarps. A couple (maybe more than a couple) moo-yuks from the northwoods planning to drag the excavator out from 300yds away on the shore banks of the swamp, this was going to happen with a D7 Cat and an extremely long cable. The rescue crew for the groomer was arriving as we departed. One steel I-beam tripod setup later and several 4-ton load binder come-alongs, they might have been getting somewhere. The best part was the recon supply delivery vehicle, a Polaris Ranger 6x6 with rear turf tires none the less, and pulling a snowmobile trailer loaded with steel I-beams and planks, ladders etc. The good thing was they kept them tarped and tried to keep the water thawed with Mr. Heaters. They tried pulling the groomer with 2 Tuckers last night and moved it approx. 2 feet, tipping it over more from the looks to us. So for this group of farmers and engineers riding and discovering this mess, WE already came up with our plan to get this out. Fort Ripley is about 30 miles as the crow flies, or the Chinook as we thought, groomer weighs about 18,000 lbs, and a Chinook payload is 20,000 lbs. However the excavator has a little more junk in the trunk, they might need a 2nd Chinook, that apparently scales out at about 43,000 lbs. Either way I'd love to see a JD or a Hitachi excavator hanging from a helicopter hook a few hundred feet above the swamp... Unfortunately, we will be departing bright and early in the AM so this will be the last update, although very temping to drop a sled on the way by to check on the progress. Stay tuned???

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 873
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 834

700classic

Won't get it out with the D-7 dozer. It's not big enough and too far away! My money is still on the swamp to win the next round or 2. Man will win the fight but will take a few good punches on the way!

mnuser

Wondering

I wonder if that was the Baxter groomer. Our trails are usually groomed on Monday/Tuesday and have not been touched yet this week. I remember passing a JD tractor like the one pictured on the trail a while back. Bummer for them. Hope it all works out and they get it back up and running.

boatingbent

Nothing like the above pictures but I also got ours stuck one day in a deep water way ...Had to unhook drag and use a large John Deere Pay loader to get me out .....

Attachments

• 1219101349a.jpg
    1219101349a.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 642
  • 1219101350a.jpg
    1219101350a.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 642

Firecatguy

snatch blocks alot cable...build a road out to it!!! alot dirt.....we pull over 80,000lb over when tractor trailers roll...with a snatch block or two you can break the lb in half or even less.........

xfire

Yes, that is the Baxter groomer. They have asked us "Brainerd Snodeos" to help groom some of their trails.

doo_dr

Has any one ever used steel culvert pipe stood up and filled with rock/gravel? Use 4 of them and beams (steel or wood) to make a four corner lifting frame. I see the power company do something similiar when they are putting lines through these swamps.

mnuser

Yes, that is the Baxter groomer. They have asked us "Brainerd Snodeos" to help groom some of their trails.

Thought so. Thanks for stepping up and helping out. I will make sure my son and I help you guys out.

Hopefully it all works out for them and they are up and running again soon. That would really be a bummer.

anonomoose

Nothing like the above pictures but I also got ours stuck one day in a deep water way ...Had to unhook drag and use a large John Deere Pay loader to get me out .....

Okay, repeat after me.....MOMENTUM IS YOUR FRIEND!!! Next time hit the gas and don't look back.

Remember kitty litter in a pinch!