Groomer stuck just a little

mwagurl

Using a 10,000 gallon steel tank

Groomer here in east WI stuck in deep swamp water a few years ago. Couldn't get an excavator to connect. Had to send a scuba guy underwater maybe 5-6 feet. Two cables on each end of front axle, then over the top of the 10K gallon tank. Next to a big crawler. The pulling force submerged the tank completely and after a half hour the natural bouyancy lifted her up and was able to pull it away and out. This was an old guy's way from years ago as nothing else worked!

Blu Du

ice was 12' thick in the middle and 4" on the edge. they will have the groomer out tomorow i think. they have 2 more tripods coming.
IMG_20110202_142621.jpg

IMG_20110202_143008.jpg

the excavator
IMG_20110202_142945.jpg

IMG_20110202_142630.jpg

as far as the excavator, the owner has about 7 others all the way up to a 750 deere. that 200 is the smallest he has i think. so if he can round up enough cable he will drag it to shore about 800' away. i will be out there tomorow and will have more pics

Looking forward to the pictures of the retrieval - this thread is captivating....love the idea of using a 10,000 gallon tank and buoyancy....

M

Mattarsc

joy

All for the joys of snowmobiling! God love them for keeping the trails good! Looks like a mess still.

groomerdriver

This is what I would term a "nightmare scenario". Getting it out is one thing....hopefully the drivetrain is OK. Going thru all this work only to have the engine or tranny be trashed....OMG!!!!

doo_dr

"ice was 12' thick in the middle and 4" on the edge. they will have the groomer out tomorow i think. they have 2 more tripods coming."

If the ice is that thin around the groomer (probably thinner if they are trying to keep it freezing the groomer in place) how do they plan to support the weight of the rig and the tractor just a few inches away from the hole they are working in? I'm not a PE nor have I lifted a 20000# tractor out of the water. I have helped with cars going through the ice but that was much less weight and we had 18-24" of good ice and then the ice broke off occasionally. I wish them the best of luck and really look forward in seeing how they accomplish this heroic task.

Last edited:

Blu Du

when i left there at 2 pm they had raised the lower side of the tractor about 2 ft. all they had were 5 or 6 comealongs and were getting more chainwinches delivered when i left.they were hoping to be able to hook to the tracks when i left. the problem i see is that the ice all around was sinking about 4". i don't think it will hold the weight,but we will see tomorow

M

Mattarsc

amazed

I know there is alot of science behind getting that lifted, I am amazed it got lifted two feet without having the wooden hoists give. I just am waiting to be proved wrong and see them lift it up AND out. Kudos to to them getting done what they got done so far!

mnguy

Can only imagine how many man hours will be be involved by the time everything is out.....

Thanks for sharing and please keep the pics coming!