Input needed for a guided western sled trip

snobinge

You may even be able to work a deal and get a ride from the Togwotee shuttle from the airport/town??? I would agree that for first timers Tog would be your best bet. Everything you need is right there....rental sleds, gear, beacon, etc. They even have a retail shop with mtn. gear if you need to pick something up. Their guides are good...I'm sure you will get good advice on this board for those who are better teachers vs. follow the leader type guides. I have been guided by Carter and Noah. Carter would be better suited for first timers. I can't speak for the other guides as I don't have experience. I did spend some time chatting/drinking with Lefty and he is a good dude..just have not ridden with him.

polarisrider1

for first time to the Mtn and looking to rent Togwotee is your best bet!!!they will come pick you up in jackson and bring you back! They have 600 and 800cc sleds poo and cat and the guides are the best around..

as for the wifes and the spa....look at the rustic in in jackson the place cant be beat..5star resort spa....the pool is the best it is outside and heated.

Totally agree with Pat.

luke_duke

We are already booked at the Teton Mountain Lodge and Spa in Teton Village. I think the idea behind it is to be able to ski from the place we are staying. This is basically a ski trip with our wives that we are lucky enough to be able to slip away for 1 day to ride

for first time to the Mtn and looking to rent Togwotee is your best bet!!!they will come pick you up in jackson and bring you back! They have 600 and 800cc sleds poo and cat and the guides are the best around..

as for the wifes and the spa....look at the rustic in in jackson the place cant be beat..5star resort spa....the pool is the best it is outside and heated.

xcsks

when checking prices give Rob a call at the Rockin M ranch in alpine. Great guy and a great area to ride.

snoluver1

I would agree with the others though. For Mnt riding rookies, Togwotee is probably the way to go. They have everything you need, and can tailor your ride to fit your experience.

rayds

I am no expert, only been to Togwotee so nothing to compare to, but at Togwotee, as stated here earlier, you will have EVERYTHING available there, sleds, guides, food, suits, helmets, bag lunch if you make arrangments. For riding, EVERYTHING is there, trail riding, to hill climbing, to back country boondocking extremes. Just let the rental shop/guides know what YOU want to do and the folks there will take care of it for you. Just go with a guide, if the desire comes to step up the experience from a trail ride to a little of a challenge, or even have the guides teach you some of the back country, they are good teachers too. I have learned a lot from the guides on trips out there.

polarisrider1

I am no expert, only been to Togwotee so nothing to compare to, but at Togwotee, as stated here earlier, you will have EVERYTHING available there, sleds, guides, food, suits, helmets, bag lunch if you make arrangments. For riding, EVERYTHING is there, trail riding, to hill climbing, to back country boondocking extremes. Just let the rental shop/guides know what YOU want to do and the folks there will take care of it for you. Just go with a guide, if the desire comes to step up the experience from a trail ride to a little of a challenge, or even have the guides teach you some of the back country, they are good teachers too. I have learned a lot from the guides on trips out there.

X2 Great place to earn your wings.

luke_duke

As of now, Togwotee is where we plan on going

D

Deleted member 10829

Luke, they do rent Arctic Cat Mountain sleds at Togwotee, no worries about an engine going down with the bulletproof Cat 800.

I would love to see the rental numbers on how many rent Poo vs. Cat. I have a hunch.

polarisrider1

I would love to see the rental numbers on how many rent Poo vs. Cat. I have a hunch.

Mark , This is absolutely totally honest, The cats are in neat rows buried in snow between the gas station/store and the road down to the cabins with maybe a couple brushed off to rent. The Polaris sleds are all over the property being used. The Poo rmk is the sled of choice hands down at Tog. (Been there about 9 times). Always the same.

polarisrider1

Great question for Carter. Remember if (big if) you blow up a rental the guide tows you back and gives you another sled. The rentals get tortured.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
When we were there last March, just about every day, ALL the Poo's AND cats were rented out. The two guys with our group last year rented cats.

I have only been to TOG 4 times, and what I have noticed is that if it is a busy week, they all get rented.

I have a hunch that during the 2008-2010 rental years, the Cat 800 was rented out more than the Poo 800.

polarisrider1

When we were there last March, just about every day, ALL the Poo's AND cats were rented out. The two guys with our group last year rented cats.

I have only been to TOG 4 times, and what I have noticed is that if it is a busy week, they all get rented.

I have a hunch that during the 2008-2010 rental years, the Cat 800 was rented out more than the Poo 800.

You crack me up. Guys were renting Mtn. Phazers over Cats at that time. Carter would know the correct answer.

D

Deleted member 10829

Of course they all get rented out in a busy week, but which one's go out first and most often when it's not a busy week?

I have a hunch back in..... never mind, it's 2013!

Firecatguy

from what I "noticed" it depends on the year and who has what.....09/10 was the cat 11\12 half the poo lost motors but people wanted to rent them still....I would gowith poo as being most desired last 2 years...

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
You crack me up. Guys were renting Mtn. Phazers over Cats at that time. Carter would know the correct answer.

No, you crack me up. Guys were renting a Mt. Phaser over a cat M8 or M6 from 2008-2010? You are delusional.

One of these days you should pull the Polaris banner from out of yer butt, and look at the sledding world with an open mind.:p

Firecatguy

I could be wrong here but I dont ever remeber seeing Mt Fazers for rent at Togwotee.....Fazer trail sleds yes...mt dont think they had anythem...

polarisrider1

No, you crack me up. Guys were renting a Mt. Phaser over a cat M8 or M6 from 2008-2010? You are delusional.

One of these days you should pull the Polaris banner from out of yer butt, and look at the sledding world with an open mind.:p
Not going to happen.

carter

Ok, here we go......2008-2010 Cat had an edge, as the Poo motor was blowing up like popcorn. 2011......Was the year of the new chassis, and it out rented cat. We had fights trying to put people on Cats. The poo turned into the Mtn. sled of choice. And the motors kept on blowing...........out of a fleet of 20 we blew 12 motors. Guys would ride Cat but not necessarily enjoy it. 2012..........Poo changed the motor and became bullet proof........1 motor down on a 600. Cat however went the wrong direction with the new Mtn. style and it in no way compared to Poo. No turning radius, stiff and generally a first year new Mtn. tank. 2013........Poo, has their ship together. No motors down, running and handling by far better than Cat. Cat made changes and got better at handling than previous years,turning radius better, but they had motor issues.......their turn in the barrel.........So, to answer the question........Polaris out rents Cat.....that's the way it is.......and our Polaris fleet takes a beating because of it..........I would say the cat lovers of the world have a good sled there, and Arctic Cat is working on the side issues to make it better. In conclusion,..........LOl.....Polaris had to take center stage. They put together a Mountain sled that just can't be beat.............yet........I know the other brands are trying.