Input needed for a guided western sled trip

luke_duke

A group of us will be on a skiing trip and are staying in Teton Village at the Teton Mountain Lodge between Christmas and New Years. My buddy and I want to rent sleds and take a guided trip. What are our options? Can we rent in Teton Village, Jackson, or Togwotee and get a guide from there? Is Togwotee even an option with their guides or is that too far away? I really know nothing about the area and haven't really started researching it yet since we just booked our flights and rooms.

srt20

I've been to Teton village, and I don't think there is any motorsports stuff right in that area. Closest would probably be Jackson. Not sure if there is much riding to be had in that area other than Jackson and east. Tog isn't to far from Jackson, maybe an hour in summer driving IIRC. Teton village is about 15-20 mins from Jackson IIRC.

Take the trams to the top of the mtn in Teton village. It's pretty cool, as long as you aren't scared of heights....lol

snoluver1

I think your best bet from Teton Village would be to head down to Alpine. Right around an hour away. Not sure about guides but I know there are rentals available there, and the riding is AWESOME!

jonw

Driving times from Teton Village to Alpine vs. Teton Village to Togwotee are roughly equivalent (1 1/2 hours without towing a trailer). All things being equal, I would recommend Togwotee for a first-time rider in the area.

Another option is to drive to Driggs, ID. (drive-time about an hour, but you have to go over Teton Pass, which can be sketchy in the winter). Teton Valley Adventures in Driggs rents sleds and provides guides. But they only rent 600cc Summits or Renegades -- neither the ideal mountain sled for this area.

Attached are a couple photos from riding in the Driggs area last year.

IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0006.jpg

polarisrider1

Alpine all day.
and when in Alpine go with Dan Addams he is a top level rider. his shop is like a block from the trail head and from trail head to crazy terrain about 5 min.
http://www.nextlevelclinics.com/Bios/danbio.html
he has RMK's for rent and will do way way more than a Burrant style follow the leader deal

Do you realize you sugested riding Poo????? (oh! it was at bong 30 last night, never mind). lol
Riding with Dan Addams falls under "Rock Star" riding trip for sure.

luke_duke

Definitely some good information. We will only be riding 1 day and neither of us have done any mountain riding before so not sure if this Dan Adams would wanna waste his time with us newbies. I always wanted to go to Togwotee mainly because of how everyone raves about it on John Dee, but that might be better served when I can go sledding for several days. I will have to see what my buddy has to say and go from there. Thanks for the input so far, I will be checking back to see if there is other good input.

PR1-Are there Arctic Cat Mountain sleds to rent at Togwotee, I hate to run the risk of a breakdown out in the high country

polarisrider1

Definitely some good information. We will only be riding 1 day and neither of us have done any mountain riding before so not sure if this Dan Adams would wanna waste his time with us newbies. I always wanted to go to Togwotee mainly because of how everyone raves about it on John Dee, but that might be better served when I can go sledding for several days. I will have to see what my buddy has to say and go from there. Thanks for the input so far, I will be checking back to see if there is other good input.

PR1-Are there Arctic Cat Mountain sleds to rent at Togwotee, I hate to run the risk of a breakdown out in the high country

No. They ride "Real" sleds at Togwotee.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke, they do rent Arctic Cat Mountain sleds at Togwotee, no worries about an engine going down with the bulletproof Cat 800.

luke_duke

10-4 on that. My wife will be relieved that I will be on a reliable snow machine that day. I would hate to interfere with her spa/shopping day(that is the deal if my bud and I get to go riding).

Luke, they do rent Arctic Cat Mountain sleds at Togwotee, no worries about an engine going down with the bulletproof Cat 800.

luke_duke

What do you guys suggest. I will probably buy a new pair of goggles for skiing and rent a faceless helmet and use my goggles with that. Is this probably my best options?

ezra

better yet dan Addams also has mountain horse snow bikes. If we go to alpine this yr I will be renting a mountain horse from him.
and if your first time out a guy like dan is the way to go he will prob teach u guys more in 6 hrs than u could figure out on your own in 2 yrs .
and when in his shop u can pick up PR1 one of those pro windshield bags he has skinz make for him.PR1 is on borrowed time on that 800 and deff needs a place to haul a tow strap

ezra

if u go to alpine and don't want to drop the cash for a Addams clinic there is a dealer like 4 blocks from trail head who has cats for rent. and I saw the sled rental trucks with 6 places from Jackson hole in the alpine lot every day.

polarisrider1

better yet dan Addams also has mountain horse snow bikes. If we go to alpine this yr I will be renting a mountain horse from him.
and if your first time out a guy like dan is the way to go he will prob teach u guys more in 6 hrs than u could figure out on your own in 2 yrs .
and when in his shop u can pick up PR1 one of those pro windshield bags he has skinz make for him.PR1 is on borrowed time on that 800 and deff needs a place to haul a tow strap

lol, love ya bud!

polarisrider1

if u go to alpine and don't want to drop the cash for a Addams clinic there is a dealer like 4 blocks from trail head who has cats for rent. and I saw the sled rental trucks with 6 places from Jackson hole in the alpine lot every day.

Never rode Alpine. suspect it is worth a shot!

ezra

deff some crazy good terrain . if u head out get a hold of thebreeze on here for a phone number .him and his crew had a sweet house they rented huge log thing top of the line. and it was very reasonable and it had a heated shop.(we spent the night in fixing a new M that went for a ghost ride lol) like 4 blocks from fuel and 8 from trail head.
think they had 6 guys and all had a bed.
if we got more than our usual 3 for our west trips I would deff rent that house.

Firecatguy

for first time to the Mtn and looking to rent Togwotee is your best bet!!!they will come pick you up in jackson and bring you back! They have 600 and 800cc sleds poo and cat and the guides are the best around..

as for the wifes and the spa....look at the rustic in in jackson the place cant be beat..5star resort spa....the pool is the best it is outside and heated.