Looking to get into boondocking?

local897

I am looking to get into boondocking after seeing all the tracks that go off into the woods in fresh snow. I want to know how to get started? What do I need, know where to go, how to ride when I get there? Help I want to ride off trail and want it NOW!

chicagosledder

I can tell you one thing I would definitely start in the Keweenaw area. I believe John Dee used to do backcountry rides but I am unsure if he does them anymore.

booondocker

You can do this alone, but you better be in good shape! You can die out there if you get lost, or you get so stuck you work too hard to get out.

I suggest that you find others who have done this and take it slow....working up to more and more difficult.

Rule 1:

Be prepared....shovel, rope, winch (if you ride yamaha...;)) food, matches, the works....things happen and you need to plan ahead not for the if....but for the inevitable.

Rule 2:

Novices should NEVER go alone....take others who can help get you unstuck or when the sled decides to self destruct.

Rule 3:

Just because you went over that hill and down thru the meadow last year doesn't mean you can do it under THESE SNOW CONDITIONS. Snow that is set up by means of freezing and thawing and re-freezing, is much easier to go over and thru than 3 feet of fresh powder that has no bottom.

Rule 4:

Momentum is your friend.....once you let off the throttle...it is all over. BUT....when you KNOW that you are going to get stuck....don't stay on the throttle and dig in deeper...it just makes for less going and more digging. Eventually you will learn your sleds capabilities, and your own abilities and when that day comes, you will be able to call yourself a boondocker.

There is nothing else like it.

ezra

start with the right sled 136 1.50 is the minn but I would say 144x2 is better and 153 is better yet especially when just starting allot less digging with a144 146 153.you can go out with a 121 but dont go to far. I started to get off the trail on a ultra with a 1.5 the next yr like 99 the ultra had a 136 1.5 and that is what I learned to ride off the beaten path.what you really need is a bud who shares the same passion and is willing to tug a ski.find a guide after you get the feel of it I think Lenny on here still guides Jerry ball in Houghton I think still guides.it is nice to have someone who knows where they are and knows how to get out.I know allot of guys carry packs with shovels and other tools I have never used a shovel in the UP but carry if riding alone.I have used a folding hand saw many times when a ski goes under brush.a good nylon strap is also usefull.a muff pot is always nice.dress way lighter than if running trail

cuzzinolaf

I am looking to get into boondocking after seeing all the tracks that go off into the woods in fresh snow. I want to know how to get started? What do I need, know where to go, how to ride when I get there? Help I want to ride off trail and want it NOW!

I'm confused. I thought you do ride "off-trail?"

datdude

I would strongly suggest staying away from Twin Lakes and South Range....the snow is simply not deep enough there. Someplace North of Calumet would be a good place to start

pistons

I would strongly suggest staying away from Twin Lakes and South Range....the snow is simply not deep enough there. Someplace North of Calumet would be a good place to start
"Pease don't throw me in the brier patch" said brier rabbit. Do you know the story?

jd

Administrator
Staff member

Funny one. Just look at the Krupp's cam and my AL Cam and you will see who has more snow. Or check out the pics people post from riding south of the bridge....OR, drive by the lot at Krupp's at around 9 am and tell me how many long tracks you see drive off into the woods.

Twin Lakes = Boondocking

-John

cuzzinolaf

Funny one. Just look at the Krupp's cam and my AL Cam and you will see who has more snow. Or check out the pics people post from riding south of the bridge....OR, drive by the lot at Krupp's at around 9 am and tell me how many long tracks you see drive off into the woods.

Twin Lakes = Boondocking

-John

John - we know you use a leaf blower to keep the AL cam snow at a lower level than Krupp's. ;)

jd

Administrator
Staff member
John - we know you use a leaf blower to keep the AL cam snow at a lower level than Krupp's. ;)

Sorry, pacemaker won't allow it! No fudging on my part. What you see is what you get. Trees lower totals a bit.

Truth is, both north and south do well. Just lots more state/fed land south.

-John

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is so tracked up in the Twin Lakes area, I am seriously considering giving up boondocking, either that or I need to find a different area, it was very discouraging this past weekend. Yea, I was able to find stuff that did not have any tracks, but really had to dig for it. And I am not just saying this to discourge people from the area. It was really quite depressing. :(

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going north of the bridge cuz no one rides there...

Boy will you be disappointed. Tracks in areas I have never seen tracks in before (except when riding with my buddies).

Skylar is right. The days of going out and finding fresh snow are over unless you are fortunate enough to get out right after it dumps.

-John

cuzzinolaf

Nope, I have no clue on how to find anything with no tracks. ;)

I knew it. You need to get a two-up and stick to the trails where it is safe.

The only "good" riding left is the places that others won't go.... the places I have learned to like.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I knew it. You need to get a two-up and stick to the trails where it is safe.

The only "good" riding left is the places that others won't go.... the places I have learned to like.

We may be on the same page. There were areas that I did not go into because I knew some of the guys with me would not be able to get through. Areas where I thought I might not make it through. LOL.