Make-A-Wish sled restoration project.

skiroule

Snoluver1,

Left you a VM and PM. Found some hood options. Also have your chrome front and rear bumpers. Will post pics later tonight.

skiroule

Snoluver1,

It was good talking to you tonight. You definitely have your stuff together. I'll post the day's harvest but as I mentioned on the phone, I'm not overwhelmed by my results. As of now I have three options: Hood_1, Hood_2, and Hood_3. Attached are the shots of the hood1&2 and bumpers.

Hood_1 is the fiberglass model and is the roughest. You can see the broken out section in the photo.
Hood_2 is poly and is in a little better shape. The biggest defect on this one is the crack that runs from the headlight to the side louvers.

Are these repairable? Definitely. Are they repairable in your time frame? Probably not. Which brings us to Hood_3. I haven't seen it but I have reason to believe it's much better. First, the guy seemed to give a hoot and actually went looking for it on a phone call and second, it's been stored indoors.

To be honest, right now I'm leaning towards Hood_3. As you said on the phone, You want this to be something that is not just thrown together.

The bumpers are OK but I did find a pitted spot on bottom side of the front bumper which should be touched up so I'd leave it up to you whether or not you wanted to use them or just paint yours.

I'll keep you posted on the hood.

Attachments

• Bumpers.jpg
    Bumpers.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Hood_1.jpg
    Hood_1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Hood_2.jpg
    Hood_2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Hood_Pair.jpg
    Hood_Pair.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 97

snoluver1

Thanks Skiroule!!!
Of the two you have it definitely looks like the poly one needs less work. I'm curious, has someone tried to makeshift repair the crack already. I don't see the classic rivet holes where someone put a piece of metal flat-stock on the back side to stiffen it up? We may need some input from Phazerpilot on this one. I don't have much experience refinishing plastic.
Also, those bumpers look pretty darn good. They aren't correct for the model year, but like I said in an earlier post, this sled is not a museum piece. I sure wouldn't have a problem using them. We are trying to do a budget build here, I'm willing to take what I can get.
Anybody else have an opinion? I'm am certainly open to feedback.

phazerpilot

the poly one might be in better shape but is harder to repair than the glass one,plus the products to repair poly can get kinda pricey.personally i would rather repair the glass one over the poly. if you can get some better pic of the repair areas it would help me determine which would be the better one to fix.

skiroule

Phazerpilot,

That's kind of what I suspected. If it came down to these two hoods, even though it's rough, the glass might be the better choice because even though it looks better, there are a number of smaller cracks on the poly model as well.

I'm going to talk to the source for the third hood again today. It's a poly hood but based on the description, it only has a small 2" crack near one of the rear corners. If this is true, it's probably the best bet, as long as you don't have to buy repair material by the gallon. I'm going to go check it out Friday (work really gets in the way of progress) so I'll get back to you guys after that.

P.S. Snoluver1, no rivet holes, lol.

snoluver1

I don't have any interesting pictures of remarkable progress to share today, but thought I would let everybody know I haven't been sitting on my rear either. My compressor issue turned out to be a bigger ordeal than I was expecting. I had to get a different bushing to switch the pulley over to my single phase motor. Just in case anyone is in the market for a Browning P1x5/8" pulley bushing, apparently I scored one of only two left in existence, so you better hop on it quick! LOL.
Once I tracked down the bushing in Franklin Park, I got home and went to work changing it out. Of coarse nothing can be cut and dry. Once I got the motor off I found the bearings where toast. They were some oddball bearing that nobody caries, so that turned into a half day affair tracking those down. Then I still had to tear down the motor, change out the bearings, switch the pulley over and get it mounted to other compressor. Anyway, I'm finally back in action!

Out with the old and in with the even older......(but better!):)
PC201348.jpg PC201349.jpg

skiroule

Spent the day on the road shaking the bushes for hoods. Came up with this one in Wisconsin. It’s a 74 glass and it looks a little ratty but it’s easily the most structurally solid of the ones I have found. No major cracks but of course, it comes with some issues of it’s own, most notably some gel coat spider webbing and some bonus holes in the console (which could be filled).

Also took a jaunt down to Jolly Green Giant country. The high priced hood that I had a lead on was OK but not that much better than the others I’ve found and not worth the price. Still it turned out to be a really worthwhile trip. Met a fellow that is easily the most knowledgeable person I’ve ever come across when it comes to Ski-Doo history and racing. He has small museum with probably 80 – 100 vintage Ski-Doo’s, a lot of which are racing sleds. Even has a vintage oval sled with the bulb on the side for the leg. He has many more squirreled away in other buildings. Visited with him for over two hours – fantastic experience. Maybe that is what it’s all about.

If anyone can best my efforts in the hood search, please feel free to do so!

Snoluver1, Will try to get a hold of you this weekend. If not, have a great holiday!

Attachments

• Hood_5C.jpg
    Hood_5C.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 54
  • Hood_5A.jpg
    Hood_5A.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Hood_5B.jpg
    Hood_5B.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 51

snoluver1

Thanks for all the leg work your doing Skiroule. Very much appreciated!!
This hood certainly looks workable. The only thing that concerns me with this one, is there appears to be some differences in the shape. If you look on the right rear vent section(by where your knee would be) it appears to be shorter, with only 2 vents instead of 3. Also, the gage/console area seems to be a little different. I'm wondering if the hood fits any differently in these areas?

Also, here is the pic of the exhaust flange we were talking about for the left side jug.
PC231351.jpg

snoluver1

Skiroule, here are a couple more small things I could use if you happen to make it out to one of those yards again.

The air intake silencer is missing the 90 degree elbow at the inlet side., and also what ever is supposed to hold it down. (it was held on with big hose clamps on my sled)

The rear snowflap.

The Bombardier emblem that is attached to the center of the gas tank cover is missing.

PC231354.jpg PC231352.jpg PC231353.jpg

skiroule

The only thing that concerns me with this one, is there appears to be some differences in the shape. If you look on the right rear vent section(by where your knee would be) it appears to be shorter, with only 2 vents instead of 3. Also, the gage/console area seems to be a little different. I'm wondering if the hood fits any differently in these areas?

Snoluver1, You passed the test. The two vents are missing on the right side. They were cut off. Probably because they were broken. As you know, these vents are very fragile (and their purpose is questionable). If the hood is workable, my advice would be to patch in a new set of vents with fiberglass backing and reinforce the left side of hood as well. Shouldn't be too tough. I can a get spare section of vents from another cadaver.

The hoods are identical. The previous owner just did some "creative" things around the gauge area. I'll work the parts request as best I can. Maybe PR1's post might yield something as well.

phazerpilot

skiroule, is that the only repair, no big cracks in it, with a donor vent i could make that hood work no problem that's the good thing about glass vs. poly hoods

skiroule

Phazerpilot: After your post, I took a second look at the hood in good light. It's really solid, no cracks at all. It does have some gel coat issues that I mentioned but not all over the hood. Mostly around the rear vents and one spot by the headlight. I'm sure you've done your share of Corvette (and maybe boat) repair so you know what you're dealing with when it comes to gel coat.

skiroule

"Parts is Parts"

Checked off some items on the grocery list today (and a few impulse items):

Pipe & muffler, exhaust boot, snow flap, snow flap/rear tunnel frame, left & right exhaust flanges, windshield molding, intake silencer & springs, handlebar pad (questionable) and one skinned knuckle (not pictured).

SL1 - Will PM you tomorrow with more details.

Attachments

• DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 67

snoluver1

Skiroule "swung by" yesterday with a truck load of parts. Even brought a few things I didn't even ask for, like a brand new windshield, a new set of hyfax and a tachometer for the sled!

PC301367.jpg
[/IMG]
Not only did Skiroule spend a bunch of time scouring the salvage yards, he loaded it all up and drove almost 6 hours from MN to my place to deliver the parts. One of the first things he said when he got out of the truck was, "I've got a couple hours to burn, what can I do to help?" What a guy!! We got everything unloaded and Skiroule went straight to work tearing down the rear skid and tagging and bagging all the parts for me.

PC301364.jpg
[/IMG]

Skiroule, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you! Its always refreshing when you get to meet one of the truly "good" people left out there! Once again thanks for all the help, time and money you have put into this endeavor.

skiroule

Likewise! It was good to finally meet Mr. & Mrs Snoluver1 in person.

This is a big project on a tight schedule (and tighter budget) so hopefully this helped some.

P.S. I should have left you a $20 to cover all of the WD-40 I used, LOL. I think I might have even put a couple of squirts in my beverage.

snoluver1

Got to meet another fantastic guy today. Phazerpilot stopped by and picked up the hood, and is going to start working on that. This guy knows paint work inside and out, upside down and backward! Hopefully soon, we'll have some pictures to share of something other than a pile of rusty parts!
It was great meeting you Phazerpilot. Thanks for all the help!!:)